• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Announcement regarding my future on FE.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was about krausfadr's recent dispute with DigModiFicaTion and Q2 over his ownership of the 2021 Dune movie influencing my decision to leave fanedit.org behind in favour of showcasing my up-and-coming fanediting skills on Reddit and originaltrilogy.com. There are some things I just can't seem to agree with.
This sounds like a red flag. I hate to be crass, but we're not all on the edge of our seats waiting for your opus to drop; we're simply a community of like-minded people sharing knowledge and discussing the hobby. We want you to improve and contribute and submit—we want that opportunity from everyone. Some people get popular enough to warrant some excitement around an edit, but this sounds too much like you're marketing your edit rather than working on your edit.

Hey Motley!
I would of course let everyone speak for themselves, but it seems there have been some apologies all around for misunderstanding and miscommunication, and I believe everyone involved has been gracious enough to understand the other's POV.

Krausfadr asked to be re-instated and for the most part I believe that matter for now is settled. I hope you can remain a part of this community in any capacity, but the more involved is always better.

Also, a lot is expected of this site that may not be possible, so I think if everyone can manage expectations of what the site is at the present moment, you still ought to explore other possible ways to build the community you want to be a part of. In my opinion, FE and IFDB can compliment, not compete, with other ways to grow the fanediting world in general!

I think its fair to say we all want fanediting to be something even bigger and better in 20 years. This site and its few admins alone can't carry all the weight. Its ok to think bigger.
Hold on… did I inadvertently resolve a misunderstanding? 🤨

My earlier solo efforts to get Krasfadr to stay failed, but this thread allowed for for a good discussion amongst all parties involved that resulted in a different outcome, so YES, ABSOLUTELY! Thank you!

My earlier solo efforts to get Krasfadr to stay failed, but this thread allowed for for a good discussion amongst all parties involved that resulted in a different outcome, so YES, ABSOLUTELY! Thank you!
Wow. I didn't expect my initial post to make such a positive impact in the midst of an otherwise unfortunate situation.

Hopefully the occurence that was referenced by your original post and the clarity that came from that for parties involved serves as an example for all of us on how to assume the best, seek for clarity rather than offense and to give grace along the way. We're in this together and that approach is the best way to improve the community. It starts with each individual choosing to assume the best and not giving up when it gets hard, awkward or frustrating.

I don't know what to say,

I honestly still might leave. I'm starting to grow fed up with how things are going on the forums right now.

I honestly still might leave. I'm starting to grow fed up with how things are going on the forums right now.
I mean honestly that’s fine. If you want to go, go. I don’t say that with any spite. But I honestly have a hard time seeing how you view YouTube, Reddit, and OT.com as better. I literally came to this site initially many years ago to talk Star Wars in a less toxic environment than OT.com. Yes, the mods are strict, but the nature of the hobby calls for that. The conversation here, to
Me, is almost always extremely respectful. But as they say YMMV.

I genuinely don't understand the issue that you are referencing. What are the things that are going on in the forums right now? Asking genuinely there.

I genuinely don't understand the issue that you are referencing. What are the things that are going on in the forums right now? Asking genuinely there.
To be fair, I guess I've been having a rough couple of years since the pandemic kicked into gear. I'm not the kind that regularly follows rules, you see, but I'm learning. At least I know to ask about fanedit inquiries through DMs rather than through the threads themselves. Plus, I'm a little pessimistic when push comes to shove, something I'm also working on. I hope to make a valiant effort to better myself come 2022. I am far from perfect, but I think you'll come to find I'm not so bad either. 😅

...I hate to be crass, but...
that's ok I won't hold any disclaimed crass parts of your message against you. I've received some helpful feedback from my posts with good suggestions I implemented in prior edits. I'm also receiving good feedback on the plan for Dune which I will implement as well.

To be fair, I guess I've been having a rough couple of years since the pandemic kicked into gear. I'm not the kind that regularly follows rules, you see, but I'm learning. At least I know to ask about fanedit inquiries through DMs rather than through the threads themselves. Plus, I'm a little pessimistic when push comes to shove, something I'm also working on. I hope to make a valiant effort to better myself come 2022. I am far from perfect, but I think you'll come to find I'm not so bad either. 😅
Awesome to hear.

As for "getting back to the topic", the topic you referenced is resolved among members involved. The topic of the initial post about you leaving is up to you. We wish you the best as you figure it out for yourself, but as far as the forums are concerned, all have agreed that a bit more compassion within the forums is something we can all work on, and will.

But by your comments, I am guessing its not enough for you to stay. On behalf of the community here, you will be missed but we wish you the best of luck.

@DigModiFicaTion If you want me to be more specific, I shall. After four years of continuously lobbying around my Batman Forever FanFix with little to no success, going through several different ideas and reimaginings of the project only to see none come to solid fruition, I've been feeling burnt out. Bobson was right when he said I was turning my original thread into a wishlist of things I wanted to do with the edit, and I'll admit some of them are a little out of my league, at least for the time being.

That being said, I am getting an idea as to where I'll be taking the project next. I've already come up with a new title, but I don't want to formally announce anything again until my plans are solidified, which will be some time away. As the original idea for the edit was heavily inspired by Jamie Demeter's "Much Darker Cut" from 2008, as well as a few others which I won't bother to list here, I feel like this will be worth something in the end. I have no idea what it is, but I'm in no rush to find out.

I intend to take my sweet, sweet time with this project. I have learnt quite a bit from my time on the forums, discovered new and amazing fanedits aplenty, met some recognisable faces, and even received some good feedback from what I was able to showcase. And if this does mean the end of my time here on the Fanedit Forums, then that's okay. Batman Forever will not be my only fanediting endeavour, mind you. I have a feeling the Wizarding World will be my next stop. My fellow brother @Andreas has encouraged me. Very much so. 😉

Who knows what the future will hold for us all?

My apologies, I'm still confused. That seemed to be about a specific project instead of your comment about possibly thinking you're bad.

If you're frustrated with not getting an edit completed, I'd recommend trying a simplified idea that is completely kn your current skill set. Also, join in the active development of someone else's edit that has been approved. That will reinforce successful development practices. Last, remember to be kind to yourself and keep on going. :)

motleycat when I first started editing it was because I wanted to make the "perfect" Rise of Skywalker edit. But I started off editing some different movies first to practice techniques. Maybe it would help to stop thinking about your Batman edit(s) for a while and switch over to a different movie with lower "stakes" for you. One that you would like to edit but isn't your magum opus yet.

@DigModiFicaTion As DominicCobb was wise to point out, I've said some things this year that I now regret, although that seems to be resolved now. That, and I think my editing skills aren't quite up to snuff yet. Does that clear things up for you?

@krausfadr That sounds like excellent advice. What would you suggest?

I struggled with my TDKR edit for years and was attempting so much with not enough skill. Easily rejected.

I finally got approved on a relatively easier edit, The Counselor. Eventually I finally got my TDKR edit to a high enough quality standard to release it, but I realize now it was far too much for me that early. It was so much easier getting an edit approved with a less ambitious editing plan, and a movie with almost no soundtrack. Granted getting an academy member to view an obscure edit took more time, but I learned much more in a "easier to grow" position.

I'd suggest something with just cuts and rearranging scenes. No color regrade. No complete rescore. Just removing and moving scenes. Take a movie you like but want to change a few things.

I'd suggest something with just cuts and rearranging scenes. No color regrade. No complete rescore. Just removing and moving scenes. Take a movie you like but want to change a few things.
Toy Story 3, perhaps? AEmovieguy was planning one back when the film was out on DVD and Blu-ray.

If you decide on Toy Story 3 I'd be happy to provide feedback on the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom