• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Announcement regarding my future on FE.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After learning of former member krausfadr's recent experience with being questioned over his ownership of the 2021 Dune film, I've been left with some food for thought. What he states in his thread over on originaltrilogy.com is something I must wholeheartedly agree on. Fanedit.org should be a more welcoming environment for up-and-coming faneditors, but staff members like DigModiFicaTion, Q2 and especially TVs Frink, while well-intentioned, I personally feel have failed to uphold these standards. Together, they have fostered a hostile and judgemental environment, and given how I can sometimes be sensitive to criticism, I feel this isn't the place for me anymore. I've been through quite enough hardships for one year.

Therefore, I would like to formally announce my retirement from the forums come January 2022. I will soon focus on lobbying around my upcoming projects on Reddit and the Original Trilogy forums. That being said, while I'm leaving with a somewhat bitter mindset, I and Kraus are still holding out hope that fanedit.org will one day change for the better and instil a more positive atmosphere, which is what I'm sure we all want, especially during these strange and difficult times. Now, I shall focus my time on relaxing myself during the festive season.

Goodbye and good luck! 👍

Sorry to see you go. Also, I am sincerely sorry to you and anyone in the community if I have failed to uphold a welcoming environemnt. I'm open to feedback and would love to know if others don't feel welcome by my interactions with them. Please, anyone, feel free to send me a PM if I have done/posted something that was offensive, made you feel uncomfortable or not welcome and I would love to mend and restore that connection. Safe journeys.

The own the source rule exists for a reason. It's not just something we put up for the sake of it. We take it seriously because it is a serious matter. The site has been shut down in the past because of it. Other sites have been shut down because of it. There is no one editor's vanity that is worth more than the continued existence of the site. If you have a problem with that you are more than welcome to leave on whatever date you choose.

Wait, what? What the hell happened again? I've must have missed it.

I just wanted to notice there are some examples (at least it looks that way) of people editing something way before it is released on physical media here on the forums among some long time editors and it seems to be ignored by the admins, or ends just with the notice and shifting the threads to "ideas" from in-the-works. I may be mistaken, but for me, it looks like there's no equality and consequence in that regard.

And I'd agree that the atmosphere from the admins feels almost hostile sometimes. The rules are one thing, the way they are implemented is the entire different thing. For example - when I see Q2 posted something I have that feeling like Judge Dredd is on a patrol. Frankly, I don't like the way it looks right now.

Last edited:
For the record, I'm sorry you and krausfadr have decided to leave and I bear you no ill will.

But having said that, I'm really baffled when I see things like this happen. While I am staff, I am relatively new and hopefully won't come across too biased - but if you look around the internet you'll find there can be some really toxic cultures. FE.org is one of the gooduns, and DigMod especially is probably the nicest mod on the team. What it often seems to come down to is that people are happy so long as they aren't in the crossfire, but as soon as any potential heat comes their way they change tune, no matter how much grace they are presented with. If own-the-source policies are contradicted there are consequences, and there's no reason to dislike a staff member for doing their voluntary job and taking action when the rules are violated. But in this particular instance, someone has chosen to drop their faneditor badge, leave and imply bad conduct from the staff here based on an experience in a private conversation in which it was decided no punishment, warning or ban would be issued. This seems crazy to me. What's the issue here beyond pride?

Think of this from staff's perspective. Try to consider (speaking generally here) you may have misinterpreted the tone of a message. Try to consider that us not upholding these rules results in potential heat for the website and the end of an activity we all love. No one gets special treatment for being a long standing member. And innocent or not - if you're going to drop a thread citing a project of a film that is not yet released you are going to have a staff member approach you and ask questions. I wonder why? Just answer them and don't beat around the bush. No one's attacking you.

Speaking on hardships - yes, it has been a hard year for a lot of people (I know it has been for me). I sympathise there, motleycat. Staff here are included in that though. Grace should extend both ways. Nobody's perfect and I'm sure mistakes may have been made over the years, but we try our best to handle things in a way that's appropriate and respectful. Sometimes it seems the only situation that doesn't result in a negative reaction is one where we don't bother upholding the rules at all.

I just wanted to notice there are some examples (at least it looks that way) of editing something way before it is released on physical media here on the forums among some long time editors and it seems to be ignored by the admins, or ends just with the notice and shifting the threads to "ideas" from in-the-works. I may be mistaken, but for me, it looks like there's no equality and consequence in that regard.

There is no favouritsim. If we are aware of it, we address it. If you think something is violating the rules, bring it to our attention (by reporting the post or messaging us privately).

Ive seen what I've seen but I am not a snitch :p

What exactly happened to Krausfadr?

leave and imply bad conduct from the staff here based on an experience in a private conversation in which it was decided no punishment, warning or ban would be issued. This seems crazy to me. What's the issue here beyond pride?

Well, if that's the case, then it's only his own fault then.

Last edited:
Ive seen what I've seen...

To counter that, I have seen what I have seen. I love this community. I would much rather be part of something that safeguards its members than be in a community at risk of being closed down.

Regardless of whatever happened the rules exist, they should be rigidly enforced and anyone asked to justify something should do so without drama. The rules are there for us.

Q2 uprooted that newish anime editor ddark94 like some virtual Hans Landa. could've been done in ways less domineeringly eager to persecute through DMs with the same results surely.

Q2 uprooted that newish anime editor ddark94 like some virtual Hans Landa. could've been done in ways less domineeringly eager to persecute through DMs with the same results surely.

For context. This is what happened.

Ddark94 openly stated all their material was pirated. Q2 dispassionately stated the rules and closed the thread. I honestly fail to see any issue with this response.

For context. This is what happened.

Ddark94 openly stated all their material was pirated. Q2 dispassionately stated the rules and closed the thread. I honestly fail to see any issue with this response.
If you fail to see the cat and mouse game that I'm referring to then there's no conversation to pursue between us.

I think it might be helpful to add something on the rules page that states ITW threads shouldn‘t be started until 15 days after the PHYSICAL release. With the pandemic now we’re getting digital releases for owned downloaded purchase well before the physical release. The rules are there for good reason. But that 15 day physical release policy is not one I knew about as it didn’t seem to be communicated very well. If that policy can be found somewhere, my apologies. And being aware of the interests of the studios is an important consideration.

I also agree with orchidal‘s general sentiments.

I’ve noticed a few occasions where newbies make a post trying to figure out how to submit their edits, and they get chastised with a link to the rules page when the rules page really doesn’t give the details of what they are trying to accomplish.

To a degree this is about pride because I don’t think admins have a right to ask for receipts. If the trust level is really that low with an editor they should probably be jettisoned as a liability who doesn’t share the values of this forum. Anyway I think what happpened in my case is an unfortunate incident that could have been avoided by ALL parties involved including myself.

And there's the problem of the admins taking ages to either approve edits, or watch improvements of edits.

Last edited:
/\ /\ When you present it like that without the context of the rest of the post, it conveys a much worse impression than what was likely intended. You think? You are very blunt yourself at times, as am I. 😁

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom