• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A New Hope Revisited: Special Edition

dkerin said:
lantern51 said:
Here is the updated opening I think I have all the sound FX mixed well, but id something feels off, let me know. 

At the :45 mark where it is the reverse shot of the clamps grabbing the ship, it cuts away so quickly, and feels weird as the sound effect just cuts too.   Would be nice if that could go just a bit more.   Or carry over that sound effect to the interior shot.   But slightly different as you are hearing it from inside the ship.   Big clamps just grabbed the spaceship, there might be some reverberation inside.

And not sure if you are still mixing some of the voice/music track, but when he says "open fire" (I think that was it) the background music from that shot cuts on, then off at a different level.

Love seeing that footage mixed in, as it shows even more how well the Rogue One footage captured the look and feel of the original.  Very cool idea!!!
Thank you. 

I like the idea of the clamp sound FX carrying into the next shot. For some reason it just never occurred to me lol, but that's why we post things like this. 

I think the open fire is because I didn't start the track in the right spot and so it's not lining up. I will play with that a bit too.

mrbenja0618 said:
Coming late to the discussion.

Some thoughts:

The reimagined Vader/Obi fight needs to be trimmed more. I hate the extreme walking shots; it looks way too CG. 

I actually played with this footage myself, and some of it works and some of it doesn't. The biggest rub for me is that I couldn't get good enough quality after a render. Do you have a better source for the footage than just pulling from YouTube? If you do, can you share?

Also, my other concern is the use of Adywan's edit. Currently it's in SD format and just like the above footage, doesn't hold up well with an additional render.

Your ideas are cool enough, but at the same time the quality still has to be there at the back end.

I wish you the best in this, and hope it holds up!

Better late than never, happy to have you help contribute! 

I used the Youtube rip, but I was able to get an HD rip of it and that was what I posted samples of. 

The Adywans edit I pulled from the iso file in 720 instead of SD, so it's scaled up a but. I haven't done the highest render quality with the software when posting because I am trying to get ideas out. So hopefully when this is done you will feel at least a little better about the quality. 

I don't know if you looked at the SC38 footage I posted or if you were speaking in general. But some hallway needs to be in to make the fight as a whole work. I tried to cut some of the more CG parts and feedback on this has been inconsistent. Some like where I have it, some feel I cut too much and some feel that I needed to cut other parts that I left in lol. So I will take a fresh look at it and follow what I think works best over all. That doesn't mean I don't want feedback because I'm going to try and error on the side of the majority.

I really like the idea behind this edit with the Rogue One and SC38 footage. There are already despecialized editions out there for the purists, so don't worry about staying pure (just consistent).  

I do think there are some sound issues in the clips you've provided, but keep working at it. Sound is one of the major challenges in doing a fan edit.

Wondering if you could make the lights blink once or twice when it switches to R2 and Threepio, I think that would help transition the visuals from flickering lights to bright lights.

I think waiting for Adywan's 720 effort would make for an ideal experience to tie into.

lantern51 said:
mrbenja0618 said:
Coming late to the discussion.

Some thoughts:

The reimagined Vader/Obi fight needs to be trimmed more. I hate the extreme walking shots; it looks way too CG. 

I actually played with this footage myself, and some of it works and some of it doesn't. The biggest rub for me is that I couldn't get good enough quality after a render. Do you have a better source for the footage than just pulling from YouTube? If you do, can you share?

Also, my other concern is the use of Adywan's edit. Currently it's in SD format and just like the above footage, doesn't hold up well with an additional render.

Your ideas are cool enough, but at the same time the quality still has to be there at the back end.

I wish you the best in this, and hope it holds up!

Better late than never, happy to have you help contribute! 

I used the Youtube rip, but I was able to get an HD rip of it and that was what I posted samples of. 

The Adywans edit I pulled from the iso file in 720 instead of SD, so it's scaled up a but. I haven't done the highest render quality with the software when posting because I am trying to get ideas out. So hopefully when this is done you will feel at least a little better about the quality. 

I don't know if you looked at the SC38 footage I posted or if you were speaking in general. But some hallway needs to be in to make the fight as a whole work. I tried to cut some of the more CG parts and feedback on this has been inconsistent. Some like where I have it, some feel I cut too much and some feel that I needed to cut other parts that I left in lol. So I will take a fresh look at it and follow what I think works best over all. That doesn't mean I don't want feedback because I'm going to try and error on the side of the majority.
I've seen clips, yes. My thoughts are merely my personal preferences of course. You have to do your thing at the end of the day.

Look forward to the final cut.

revel911 said:
Wondering if you could make the lights blink once or twice when it switches to R2 and Threepio, I think that would help transition the visuals from flickering lights to bright lights.

I think waiting for Adywan's 720 effort would make for an ideal experience to tie into.

Good idea, I will look at that and see if I can make it work...

OK, I played with the clamping sound fx carrying over to the next scene and I adjusted the start of the music before the 'Open Fire" and tried out a new fx I found to make the lights flicker a bit going to C3PO and R2. Tell what is working, what is not and what needs some more love to make work  :cool:

lantern51 said:
OK, I played with the clamping sound fx carrying over to the next scene and I adjusted the start of the music before the 'Open Fire" and tried out a new fx I found to make the lights flicker a bit going to C3PO and R2. Tell what is working, what is not and what needs some more love to make work  :cool:

The clamp sounds fine to me, but at 1:06 there is an obvious drastic audio shift.

Other audio issues after this, lightsaber sound effects missing, but you may be aware of that and still working on this.

The light flicker you added seems to have effected your black bars, which tells me that you didn't create your own. I would create black bars to place over the originals so your effect "stays inside the lines" so to speak.

Also, you said in an earlier post that you were able to yield a 720p file from Ady's ISO, but maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I was under the impression that Ady's final comp was an SD comp. If 720 you mean 720x480 then you are correct, but that is still SD.

Again, I'm just concerned you will have quality issues in your final master as you are using and mixing SD with HD (or 4k if you have a Rogue One 4k source.) They are always going to shift in quality. Of course all of this is hard to really see with the vimeo compression.

And please don't misunderstand. I LOVE your ideas, and think they can work. But you may have to use a better HD source Ady's. Or simply wait until Ady is done with HD updated version and keep working with his older version for the time being.

I love your idea, I just want to help you be sure its of the highest quality standard!

Let me know if I can help!

This is mostly perfect. All I noticed was that the "Open fire" and it's accompanying music is slightly louder than the surrounding music.

mrbenja0618 said:
lantern51 said:

The clamp sounds fine to me, but at 1:06 there is an obvious drastic audio shift.

Other audio issues after this, lightsaber sound effects missing, but you may be aware of that and still working on this.

The light flicker you added seems to have effected your black bars, which tells me that you didn't create your own. I would create black bars to place over the originals so your effect "stays inside the lines" so to speak.

Also, you said in an earlier post that you were able to yield a 720p file from Ady's ISO, but maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I was under the impression that Ady's final comp was an SD comp. If 720 you mean 720x480 then you are correct, but that is still SD.

Again, I'm just concerned you will have quality issues in your final master as you are using and mixing SD with HD (or 4k if you have a Rogue One 4k source.) They are always going to shift in quality. Of course all of this is hard to really see with the vimeo compression.

And please don't misunderstand. I LOVE your ideas, and think they can work. But you may have to use a better HD source Ady's. Or simply wait until Ady is done with HD updated version and keep working with his older version for the time being.

I love your idea, I just want to help you be sure its of the highest quality standard!

Let me know if I can help!

At the 106, I hear a louder music around the "Open Fire". I assume that is what you were talking about, I will need to fix that for sure. 

Where is the lightsaber sound missing? I honestly didn't catch it and I want to make sure I correct that!

I also did not catch the black bars as the shift was ever so slight, so good find there, it's an easy fix. 

The video file is ripped in 1280 x 720. The software I used (HD Video Converter Factory Pro by Wonderfox) was able to let me select what I wanted to rip the video in and scales it up to that level. All footage I am using is ripped in this size to try and keep consistency. I understand what you are saying and I am working to make every precaution for it to look uniform. 

I want to use his a the source because I really liked what he did with his version, and I figure that worse case I replace the original move parts with the updated one down the road.   

Thank you for your help and support of this project. I plane to do more Star Wars movies as I go. So I would be happy to have the support going forward.

I liked the flickering, but also saw the black bars flickering as well.

revel911 said:
I liked the flickering, but also saw the black bars flickering as well.

Good catch! I will just remove the black bars altogether and that will solve the issue.

So here is what I'm thinking. We all know this movie, it's been out for a very long time. 99% of editing is going to be from the R1 Vader footage and the SC38 footage. 

Here is what I propose to you all... What don't I do a high quality download of the first 4 minutes of the edit. That will show all the blending that I intend to do with this part of the movie and how it fits into ANH. This way I can get solid feedback on this before trying to release the whole movie and fix anything that needs to be fixed. 

If you are interested PM me.

Then I can do the same when I need the SC38 part reviewed

I saw your 4-minute clip

Was this converted in the right frame rate? It seems awfully jittery in place

00:3:57: There's some lingering footage from just before the close-up of 3PO that's on screen for just a mili-second, might want to omit that

Zarius said:
I saw your 4-minute clip

Was this converted in the right frame rate? It seems awfully jittery in place

00:3:57: There's some lingering footage from just before the close-up of 3PO that's on screen for just a mili-second, might want to omit that
Good catch on the 3PO! WOW! I somehow missed that. Easy fix though, thanks.

It was originally and stayed in conversion as 23.98 FPS, but I think I see what you are talking about. It feels like it's skipping a frame here and there when the star destroyer moves in front of the camera? I checked and it is that way in the source file?

I sent this as a private message, but here it is again.

So, I finally got to take a look at the 4 minute intro. The primary cuts work pretty well. There are still lightsaber sound effects missing in the Rogue One portion of the footage. The last couple of lightsaber swings in the sequence can't be heard or the impact. 

And like Zarius has stated, there are frame-rate issues, but only in the ANH portions. The Rogue One footage looks correct.

If your source is doing the same thing, I hate to tell you, but you may need to find another source until Adywan comes out with his HD version. I've seen these issues coming from SD DVD rips before.

Let me know how I can help. What are you editing on? If it's premiere, I can give you a powerful tip.

Sounds like you may have ripped your DVD file at 29.97 fps. Please let us know your process and settings and we can help.

I grabbed the PAL ISO file and I just checked. It's 25 fps not 23.9, so I think that is the issue here. I will have to pull a new rip from the ISO file. I use Aimersoft DVD Ripper for that. I will just have to pay closer attention to the settings.

I did an updated 4 minutes with all the corrections mentioned if anyone would like to check it out. No more skipping in the video, lightsaber sound is added back in, and the frame with the wrong 3PO shot is gone. 

I forgot to add a previous fix in the music at 2:15 so there is a skip. I fixed it before and when I did the other fixes I forgot about that one lol.  

I am trying out new software for this. It's an old version of Pinnacle Studio. There are some things I really like in this and I'll see if I keep it or not.

While I'm in this edit, I was thinking about making a trim here and there. Just a nip-tuck, nothing drastic. One thing I was unsure of is the part after 3PO and R2 are in the escape pod and the cut to the guy saying to hold fire that it must be a malfunction isn't the worst thing, but it is a little funny considering the situation. I could cut that little scene out? What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom