• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A New Hope Revisited: Special Edition

I think you should cut the "Open fire". It's not noticeable that anyone's mouth is moving to say it, so it feels out of place. I don't know if the line is in the original clip, but I think it'd work better without the line.

jrWHAG42 said:
I think you should cut the "Open fire". It's not noticeable that anyone's mouth is moving to say it, so it feels out of place. I don't know if the line is in the original clip, but I think it'd work better without the line.

That line is from the original clip, that's why there is a little music playing there. I'm keeping the option open for not having it there because as you said, there are no mouths moving. But that only if I have trouble lining up the music will I do that. Because it's in the original, I want to try and keep it. Time will tell lol.

Yeah, right after I posted that, I watched the previous clip you'd posted and it was there too, I realized that it must be in the original. But yeah, maybe it's worth keeping if you can match up the music, maybe that's why it feels out of place, I don't know. But I'd still like to see a version of the scene without the line, just music and some sound effects, but only if you're willing to.

Anyways, what scene comes after this one? How do you plan on switching from r1 to ANH?

jrWHAG42 said:
Yeah, right after I posted that, I watched the previous clip you'd posted and it was there too, I realized that it must be in the original. But yeah, maybe it's worth keeping if you can match up the music, maybe that's why it feels out of place, I don't know. But I'd still like to see a version of the scene without the line, just music and some sound effects, but only if you're willing to.

Anyways, what scene comes after this one? How do you plan on switching from r1 to ANH?

Yeah, after this I cut to C3PO and R2-D2

While I was working on the audio here, I noticed a small edit that might work and make things a little easier here. I took the audio out because I want to see if this works visually or not. Specifically the change in the guys running.

lantern51 said:

While I was working on the audio here, I noticed a small edit that might work and make things a little easier here. I took the audio out because I want to see if this works visually or not. Specifically the change in the guys running.

There's an aspect ratio change on the closeup.

Jimmy Jesus said:
lantern51 said:

That's odd? It's all from the same footage lol? I did not notice that. But aside from that does this edit work?

I don't see anything wrong with the clip, I think it works.

lantern51 said:
Jimmy Jesus said:

That's odd? It's all from the same footage lol? I did not notice that. But aside from that does this edit work?

He's right. You zoomed a shot but didn't crop it. Black bars disappear on the facial close-up.

addiesin said:
lantern51 said:
Jimmy Jesus said:

He's right. You zoomed a shot but didn't crop it. Black bars disappear on the facial close-up.

I know lol. I just never noticed it until he pointed it out  :)  So I am glad he caught that!

Now that you mention it, I do remember doing that zoom about a month ago.  Awesome catch that I forgot to do the crop afterwards! Do you feel that the cuts are working aside from that little error? I'm unsure if the running in the halls is working or not?

One remedy is to set your project dimensions to 1920x800. It eliminates the black bars in the rendered file and if you have your video files locked into the 1920x800 ratio your cropping won't have black bars either.

DigModiFicaTion said:
One remedy is to set your project dimensions to 1920x800. It eliminates the black bars in the rendered file and if you have your video files locked into the 1920x800 ratio your cropping won't have black bars either.

Nice! Thank you. I will make sure to do that!

Here is the updated opening I think I have all the sound FX mixed well, but id something feels off, let me know. 

The sound effect at 45 seconds in feels too loud, and it almost seems as if it's cut off slightly. Open Fire also sounds like it's cut off slightly. The music suddenly appearing with the line doesn't work for me. I think some of the cuts are a bit too abrupt, but it could just be Vimeo skipping and lagging slightly.

jrWHAG42 said:
The sound effect at 45 seconds in feels too loud, and it almost seems as if it's cut off slightly. Open Fire also sounds like it's cut off slightly. The music suddenly appearing with the line doesn't work for me. I think some of the cuts are a bit too abrupt, but it could just be Vimeo skipping and lagging slightly.

I will look at the 45 sec to see, but the music coming in on "Open Fire" is how the footage goes. There is no music prior to that. I will check to see if it is cut off though. The cuts are the same as posted previously so maybe it is vimeo?

jrWHAG42 said:

I checked  the 45 sec footage and it's not cutting off, that is just the fx. As for it being too loud, maybe? I didn't really thank so because of how loud the other fx are up to that point. But we all know I can be off on these things lol. I can try and adjust that. 

You were correct on the "Open Fire" being cut off a little at the end. I didn't catch it because of the blast sound fx from the guns. So I will correct that!  Also I checked and you are right about when the music started here, I was wrong and I apologize. This is an easy fix though.

Most cuts were done due to them focusing too much on what the guy was holding. I wanted to try and make as close to not really noticeable as possible. I do not want to have to re-do this scene LOL. You have to look at this frame by frame to really see how much work went into this. I did every single sound fx from the very first explosion when Vaders SD hits Leia's ship all the way though the entire piece. Even the guys running outside the door is my fx. The only ones I didn't do were the voices and the last rumble when we cut to C3PO. 

For comparison here is the original version of the same scene I did the first time I did this edit. 

I didn't like this because 1. I didn't like the two different sirens in the background. 2. I felt that at least one cut in particular didn't work. It's when Vader pushes his blade into the guy and door.

Keep providing me with feedback! You have been a big help and caught a few things I overlooked and now I can fix them before I get too far into the next part of the edit! You're awesome!

Thinking about it more, would it be possible to completely cut the shot of the thing connecting to the other thing? (the scene that the sound effect I pointed out occurs during) I don't entirely understand the purpose of it, I feel that it doesn't really flow well with the surrounding scenes, and I'm assuming that it would be easier to cut it than try to fix the sound effect. I can't recall what the shot is from, if it's in Rogue One or A New Hope or neither, maybe it plays out exactly how it does in the original movie, either way I don't particularly like it, but I can live with it if you feel it necessary.

jrWHAG42 said:
Thinking about it more, would it be possible to completely cut the shot of the thing connecting to the other thing? (the scene that the sound effect I pointed out occurs during) I don't entirely understand the purpose of it, I feel that it doesn't really flow well with the surrounding scenes, and I'm assuming that it would be easier to cut it than try to fix the sound effect. I can't recall what the shot is from, if it's in Rogue One or A New Hope or neither, maybe it plays out exactly how it does in the original movie, either way I don't particularly like it, but I can live with it if you feel it necessary.

It's a reverse shot from R1. I used it to replace the shot from ANH when Vaders SD captures Leias ship. Personally I like and I can try and adjust the fx.

lantern51 said:
Here is the updated opening I think I have all the sound FX mixed well, but id something feels off, let me know. 

At the :45 mark where it is the reverse shot of the clamps grabbing the ship, it cuts away so quickly, and feels weird as the sound effect just cuts too.   Would be nice if that could go just a bit more.   Or carry over that sound effect to the interior shot.   But slightly different as you are hearing it from inside the ship.   Big clamps just grabbed the spaceship, there might be some reverberation inside.

And not sure if you are still mixing some of the voice/music track, but when he says "open fire" (I think that was it) the background music from that shot cuts on, then off at a different level.

Love seeing that footage mixed in, as it shows even more how well the Rogue One footage captured the look and feel of the original.  Very cool idea!!!

Coming late to the discussion.

Some thoughts:

The reimagined Vader/Obi fight needs to be trimmed more. I hate the extreme walking shots; it looks way too CG. 

I actually played with this footage myself, and some of it works and some of it doesn't. The biggest rub for me is that I couldn't get good enough quality after a render. Do you have a better source for the footage than just pulling from YouTube? If you do, can you share?

Also, my other concern is the use of Adywan's edit. Currently it's in SD format and just like the above footage, doesn't hold up well with an additional render.

Your ideas are cool enough, but at the same time the quality still has to be there at the back end.

I wish you the best in this, and hope it holds up!

Back
Top Bottom