• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A New Hope Revisited: Special Edition

Not a big fan of all the blue explosions in cinema the past 10-15 years. Here's a quick mock up of what it could look like with a secondary color corrector that isolates the blue and changes it to an orange/red color. I did notice that the explosion (Krypton?) has the background moving down while the star field is moving up in the DS scene. Easy fix. HiRes screen cap of DS > paint out the DS (you could also make a matte so you can make the DS smaller though I think it's fine size wise) > chroma key out the black from the explosion scene to remove the upper right area of the screen that moves down. Anyway, I moved the explosion 4 frames up in the mix and did a crossfade to help mold the two explosions together and applied a secondary color filter.

If you plan to submit this edit you will need to adjust your source files and/or your rendering settings as the file was 30 fps, but would need to be 23.967fps. Let me know if you need any help with fps stuff.

jrWHAG42 said:
Much better! Though there's a shot of the original explosion before the added explosion that wasn't there before, was that intentional?

I added 1 extra frame in. I thought it gave a little better flow between the 2 shots. What do you think? Better or worse?

DigModiFicaTion said:
Not a big fan of all the blue explosions in cinema the past 10-15 years. Here's a quick mock up of what it could look like with a secondary color corrector that isolates the blue and changes it to an orange/red color. I did notice that the explosion (Krypton?) has the background moving down while the star field is moving up in the DS scene. Easy fix. HiRes screen cap of DS > paint out the DS (you could also make a matte so you can make the DS smaller though I think it's fine size wise) > chroma key out the black from the explosion scene to remove the upper right area of the screen that moves down. Anyway, I moved the explosion 4 frames up in the mix and did a crossfade to help mold the two explosions together and applied a secondary color filter.

If you plan to submit this edit you will need to adjust your source files and/or your rendering settings as the file was 30 fps, but would need to be 23.967fps. Let me know if you need any help with fps stuff.

WOW! Yeah the orange looks a LOT better! Thanks. I don't know why I decided to work on 2 edits at the same time and your help is so valuable to me! 

I didn't realize that I rendered this at 30 fps? I had the software keep as original and I could have sworn that was 23.9? So I will have to manually make sure of that in the future. 

I didn't know you could crossfade video? I knew it as an audio tool. Anyway, so much to unpack here. I will be intermittently moving between the 2 edits depending on when I need a break from one to work on something different.

I prefer the blue, but it's unlike anything else in Star Wars, so it'd probably be out of place. But maybe that'd be good, have the big bad explosion stand out more? But if you keep the blue, then I don't like the frame of red explosion before the big blue, it might be a bit jarring.

Just to let everyone know, I have been on a roll with my TLJ edit. So that is why there are no updates on this as of yet. I hope to have something to post here soon though!

lantern51 said:
Just to let everyone know, I have been on a roll with my TLJ edit. So that is why there are no updates on this as of yet. I hope to have something to post here soon though!

I haven't seen Rise of Skywalker yet, but as your The Last Jedi edit will probably be the first one to come out since RoS, are you planning to edit it to fit better as a link between that and The Force Awakens?

mnkykungfu said:
lantern51 said:

I haven't seen Rise of Skywalker yet, but as your The Last Jedi edit will probably be the first one to come out since RoS, are you planning to edit it to fit better as a link between that and The Force Awakens?

I kept the major beats in tact in my edit. I don't think it feels out of place coming in before ROS. I was trying to think of a way to "hint" at Palpatine coming back so it actually makes sense lol. But The only place in the trilogy that I can think of is in TFA during Rey's lightsaber vision...

Here is my attempt at doing a DS explosion with orange instead of blue. 

So I have been working on this edit some today (Happy Holidays to all who celebrate). My questions is this. With some of the "music hard cuts" that a few different people have pointed out actually being the real audio and not my cutting it, how should I proceed? 

1. I could keep them in seeing that they are natural to the audio.
2. I could just try a different musical score. 

The reason I tried to use as much real audio as possible is that I still want to respect the original movie as much as as possible while only "updating" some parts of it along with a few minor cuts. But if it's not working audio wise has a general conciseness, I need to look at the other option.  

What do you guys think? Need a little guidance here  :-/

lantern51 said:
Here is my attempt at doing a DS explosion with orange instead of blue. 

I like that a lot

I'd say don't worry too much about the sound. If it's in the base movie, then it should be fine. You've expressed before that you don't have a great ear for sound editing, so don't trouble yourself.
I really like that explosion by the way!

lantern51 said:
So I have been working on this edit some today (Happy Holidays to all who celebrate). My questions is this. With some of the "music hard cuts" that a few different people have pointed out actually being the real audio and not my cutting it, how should I proceed? 

1. I could keep them in seeing that they are natural to the audio.
2. I could just try a different musical score. 

The reason I tried to use as much real audio as possible is that I still want to respect the original movie as much as as possible while only "updating" some parts of it along with a few minor cuts. But if it's not working audio wise has a general conciseness, I need to look at the other option.  

What do you guys think? Need a little guidance here  :-/

Yeah, it's one of those unfair things that with a fanedit, people will naturally be viewing it with a more critical eye/ear than the original.  The editor is likely to get blamed for anything that seems off.

On the other hand, many fanedits are less concerned about trimming, adding, or rearranging parts of scenes, and more of their changes are subtle improvements to the audio and video itself.  The Star Wars Revisited edits are a good example, and they're the new gold standard for those films.  So I'd say that if a piece of audio is very distracting, absolutely try to find some (subtle) way of improving it.

There may be things that in the end you decide are just beyond your capability to improve.  That's fine, but doesn't mean you shouldn't feel welcome to try.

OK guys... This is the test opening. I am playing around with some editing here. So let me know if the flow works for you. As always, please let me know about the sound and if anything needs to be corrected. I don't always catch the sound errors myself.

Looks good, but I can't watch it with sound at the moment.

Also, I don't know if it would work, but what if Vader from Rogue One, right after he kills the rebels in the hallway, it segues directly into Vader opening the door and showing up in ANH?

I didn't notice any sound bumps or anything, flowed pretty well to me.

jrWHAG42 said:

Also, I don't know if it would work, but what if Vader from Rogue One, right after he kills the rebels in the hallway, it segues directly into Vader opening the door and showing up in ANH?

I don't know either, but I can look at that. It's not a bad idea. I just need to see how it flows into the movie as a whole. 

I have to start from scratch again. The software I was using has a feature in it that messed up days of work and I can't take that chance again. So I am working in new software that seems promising.

lantern51 said:
jrWHAG42 said:

I don't know either, but I can look at that. It's not a bad idea. I just need to see how it flows into the movie as a whole. 

I have to start from scratch again. The software I was using has a feature in it that messed up days of work and I can't take that chance again. So I am working in new software that seems promising.

Sorry to hear that, you've made great progress so far. If it helps, I still have a copy of your earlier draft

Zarius said:
lantern51 said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Sorry to hear that, you've made great progress so far. If it helps, I still have a copy of your earlier draft

Thanks for that. I still have all the old files thank goodness. It was just the work inside the software it's self that got messed up.

So I decided that I didn't like the original siren in the background and I was obviously wanting to use the siren sound for ANH in the R1 stuff. My solution was to block out all of the non speaking audio and then layer back in all of the sound FX. So you will hear a bit of music during OPEN FIRE and that is it. 

I will be using the original music for this scene anyway and will line all of that back up later. I just wanted to post an update for you guys.

This is one of my most anticipated edits, I'm really looking forward to it. Sadly I can't watch the video with sound right now, I'll give feedback later.

Back
Top Bottom