• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A Game of Thrones (SPOILER EDITION)

gave game of thrones another try but man that book is really nothing for me.. talkative is an understatement and 900 pages for the first part alone is just too much of a killer, i'll wait for the series and hope it doesn't get cancelled

Sunarep, the good news is that the first season on HBO is almost verbatim what happens in the book, so you aren't missing much. I really like the story and his writing style though, so I will probably read ahead of the show.

The only pertinent stuff I think you might miss out on by skipping the first book is the stuff about Ned's history that was not shown at all in the show. I don't know when they'll touch on it on the show (pretty sure they'll have to at some point), but it would be something missed when you're reading further into the books.

I'll have to look, maybe it works with audiobooks (I can only recommend the fantastic Dark Tower audiobooks)

btw. Game of Thrones has been nominated for the emmys among those are: best drama and Peter Dinklage got a supporting actor nomination, fingers crossed

Great 1 hour interview with George RRRRRRRRRRRR Martin - he tries to avoid talking about the sequels, so it is spoiler free for anyone who has watched season 1 - thank that guy for acknowledging lazy people like me

That was great indeed. Many thanks for posting it.

Can't wait to finish A Feast for Crows so I can start A Dance with Dragons and finally read something new. Only 98 pages to go!

What's your favorite book? Maybe rank them??

I have only read the first two thus far, but of the first two I feel that Game of Thrones was much better written than Clash of Kings.

A Storm of Swords is easily my favorite. More happens in that one than the first 2 (and maybe the 4th as well) combined.

So in order of preference it would be:

A Storm of Swords
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Feast for Crows (completely new characters and locations kind of kill some momentum for me, especially after the breakneck pace of A Storm of Swords. There's also the complete absence of most of my favorite characters.).

A note on that Q&A with Martin, while it's mostly spoiler free, it does have a few spoilers from later books (couple points it's made known some of the characters who are still alive in later books, and hints at a few deaths in the 3rd book).

yeah when he goes about some chapters he wrote for dance with dragons he kinda spoils two characters who are definately alive in that book, but those two characters I don't mind being alive :p

btw this series is even better on rewatch. The first time around I had big troubles with just figuring out the general storyline, now I can relax and just look at the side characters.. actually I'm grateful I have one year to get to know the characters before season two starts otherwise i would be way in over my head

Mildly concerning that season 2 appears as though it is going to more significantly diverge from the book. But I have faith in the producers, and if I were them I would make some changes too.

geminigod said:
Mildly concerning that season 2 appears as though it is going to more significantly diverge from the book. But I have faith in the producers, and if I were them I would make some changes too.

i think it's good, they can see the books as sort of "beta-testing" for the screen, sometimes no matter how good an author is he can bring something into the story becuase he thinks it is necessary and a fresh outside mind can say "well... you know, we kinda can make that better" - nothing againts the books they surely are good but with their length I fear that sometimes the author might get a tad too sidetracked

I'm actually looking forward to a bit more Robb POV than in the book where it was entirely non-existent.

Elements of A Storm of Swords will be in season 2 of the show.
(Brienne and Jaime most specifically I would imagine)

This will probably happen quite frequently considering the overlapping time lines of the POV chapters. Martin often tells what happened in the past using a characters thoughts, or to explain why they're thinking about whatever, etc. In the show things follow a more chronological order, so things not seen until later books will be in early seasons. There were already a couple scenes from A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords in the first season of the show.

Also, I'm sure they want to avoid having two major characters (Robb/Jaime) essentially missing from an entire season.

Kevinicus said:
Also, I'm sure they want to avoid having two major characters (Robb/Jaime) essentially missing from an entire season.

Actors aren't too fond of that. :-o

Whew. Finished book 3, A Storm of Swords. Damn, I see what everyone was talking about with how much goes on in this book. It is like the last two books combined. I am almost afraid to read on.

interview with the authors about what they learned from season 1:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ss-discuss-game-of-thrones-season-2-more.html

The show drew some criticism during season one for its use of so-called sexposition and a reliance on nudity. Why do you think that some critics and viewers reacted so strongly to the inclusion of the nudity, considering George’s novels are rife with them and this is HBO? Do you intend to address the “sexposition” issue in the show’s second season?

Benioff: We will address this issue with a 20-minute brothel scene involving a dozen whores, Mord the Jailer, a jackass, and a large honeycomb.

Funny quote. The more important quote in that interview though is the statement that Storm of Swords will be broken into two seasons.

Back
Top Bottom