• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2017 Movies

IT is here, and IT looks pretty damn good.

Was the slapstick gag at 00.24 supposed to be hilarious? It was for me anyway :D .

People seem to like Clowns suddenly + People seem to like 'Stranger Things' suddenly + People seem to like R-rated movies suddenly = Green light on 80s-style adult 'It' remake. Ka-ching!

tumblr_n6okz8nfe71txkob5o1_500.png

Ladies and Gents, I give you one of the biggest bombs of 2017.   :s

Gaith said:
Ladies and Gents, I give you one of the biggest bombs of 2017.   :s

I was very much agreeing with your assessment until I saw the other trailer at the Cinema yesterday. Seeing and hearing it on a huge screen with excellent sound and Led Zeppelin bass roaring out of the speakers made it look like the greatest movie of all time :D . I might go see it now, Ritchie's last film was terrific after all... but was a colossal bomb too.

Other trailers playing included 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' and 'Alien: Covenant'. The former is a wonderful thing and the latter looked much better on the silver screen... rather than youtube.

They played before 'Ghost in the Shell' which was a near masterpiece IMO and thoroughly undeserving of the general lukewarm reviews. Long term Anime fan Chris Stuckman lapped it up too and I'd agree almost exactly with his thoughts...

This is what a modern 'Blade Runner' should look like, every object, costume and set designed down to the last detail. You'll need the freeze frame on the blu-ray to take in all the visual splendor. If I had to nitpick, it would have benefited from a higher rating than 12A because a movie full of violent action but no blood always feels odd and they over-explained things for the audience at times. Go see it.

Well most of the GITS reviews seem to say that the visuals are fantastic but the plot is poor. Reviews of Blade Runner when it came out said pretty much the same so maybe in a few years it will get a re-appraisal?

First trailer for Thor: Ragnarok. Looks like a great tone has been found (I always considered Thor the more comical of the MCU films). And as much as Immigrant Song gets a bit overused for trailers, this one works a treat.

TM2YC said:
This is what a modern 'Blade Runner' should look like, every object, costume and set designed down to the last detail. You'll need the freeze frame on the blu-ray to take in all the visual splendor.
Definitely agree about the production design on Ghost In The Shell, it was absolutely stunning in so many ways.

I liked the film, but I'm not sure I loved it. It is an odd beast in that I believe it deserves a second watch, but I have no itch to watch it again. At least at the moment.

DSM2337 said:
First trailer for Thor: Ragnarok. Looks like a great tone has been found (I always considered Thor the more comical of the MCU films). And as much as Immigrant Song gets a bit overused for trailers, this one works a treat.

That looks amazingly fun! Love the Director's last film and this looks like it's got the same spirit.... or it could just be Led Zep working it's magic :D .

The next movie from Director Kathryn Bigelow and Writer Mark Boal, starring John Boyega and Jason Mitchell (He was Easy-E in 'Straight Outta Compton'). This is gonna be high on my to-see list this year.

I've been watching a few 'Ghost in the Shell' behind-the-scenes videos this weekend. Simply astonishing practical FX design work from Richard Taylor's team at Weta. I thought Adam Savage was going to explode from excitement in these 'Tested' videos...

I really hope we get LOTR level DVD features on the work Weta and Co went into for this movie.

Gaith said:
Speaking of "no good coming", I can't offhand remember the last time I saw a worse preview than this:

Yuck!   :mad:

Saw that a couple of days ago and honestly it was not bad. There's some underdeveloped characterizations, some action pieces that are hard to follow, and a few too many weird exposition montages, but other than that it's pretty cool.

bionicbob said:
The Universal Monsters Universe begins....

THE MUMMY

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJxgxVH0Fsk[/video]

Saw that a couple weeks ago and honestly it was not good. Some interesting concepts and action pieces but other than that it's pretty lame.

TM2YC said:

The next movie from Director Kathryn Bigelow and Writer Mark Boal, starring John Boyega and Jason Mitchell (He was Easy-E in 'Straight Outta Compton'). This is gonna be high on my to-see list this year.

Oooh, is SLJ gonna complain about a black British guy being cast in this too?

Zamros said:

School Library Journal? What?

Dude, if you're going to keep posting these kinds of things on this site, you have to at least try to make sense. There is a distinct lack of context to your posts.

addiesin said:
Zamros said:

Dude, if you're going to keep posting these kinds of things on this site, you have to at least try to make sense. There is a distinct lack of context to your posts.

My apologies. Samuel L. Jackson recently went on a tirade gave an interview about Jordan Peele casting Daniel Kaluuya in Get Out. He thought Kaluuya wouldn't be able to grasp the subtleties of race relations in the United States. I thought there was a discussion about it in this thread but I was mistaken.

My years of redditing have clearly taken a toll on my coherency. Where else have I not been providing context?

^ Jackson didn't go on a tirade, he sounded a brief note of misgiving over a real trend of historically American roles being played by Brits in the past few years.

Not that it's just black roles, either - we've had an English Batman/John Connor, two English Spider-Men (Garfield was born in the US, but moved to the UK at 3 and grew up there), a British Superman, an English Hank McCoy/Beast, a kiwi "Bones" McCoy, an Aussie Harley Quinn, Aldrich Killian, and Jake Sully, a Welsh Reed Richards and English Thing - and that's just sci-fi/genre roles, recalled off the top of my head. (There's also our Aussie Wolverine, and yes, I know Logan is Canadian, but then, the first choice for the role was a Scot.) Of course, there's a lot to be said for hiring the best actor available regardless of his/her nationality, but I don't think it unreasonable for an American actor to have a preference to "buy American", either, especially when it comes to specifically American parts.

Zamros said:
addiesin said:
Zamros said:

My apologies. Samuel L. Jackson recently went on a tirade about Jordan Peele casting Daniel Kaluuya in Get Out, as he thought Kaluuya wouldn't be able to grasp the subtleties of race relations in the United States. I thought there was a discussion about it in this thread but I was mistaken.

My years of redditing have clearly taken a toll on my coherency. Where else have I not been providing context?

Thank you for elaborating and sorry if I come across harsh. Sometimes moderating means reading every new post and some posts or types of posts can really grind down the nerves to the point that being nice or even neutral is difficult.

make america act again.

ssj said:
make america act again.

...and on that hilarious punchline, lets get back to discussing 2017 movies.

A tirade wasn't the right word choice.

Although, a tirade is the right choice for what I've just had. xD

I don't think it unreasonable for an American actor to have a preference to "buy American", either, especially when it comes to specifically American parts.

This I do take exception to. An actor's job description is very short, it goeth thusly: Act.
National Treasure and all out fabulous human being Sir Ian Mckellen gave a good description of his method:

To act is to pretend to be something you're not. Your English Superman was also playing an alien Jesus allegory from the Planet Krypton, as well as an American.

Your English Beast was also playing a furry mutant man-animal, as well as an American.

I tried not to comment on the Spider-Men but seeing as I used to live near Tom and was in Andrew's stage school (Not while he was in it, but we heard about his success a lot... so that was fun), I feel a little protective of my homeboys playing the hero of my (and their) childhood.

But of all the roles to be pissed about an American "losing out" to a foreigner, one of them is Jake Sully? Interesting choice... :D

An actor's job is to perform. Sam claiming Daniel "Doesn't understand the context" is rich when he's played a space monk with a laser sword. I'm assuming he shouldn't have taken that role because he couldn't understand the complexities of the Jedi Codex. (Don't hate me Sam, if you're reading this, I love you)

His downplaying of race issues in Britain is concerning too. I understand that race in America is a whole other issue, but the way he said "Daniel grew up in a country where, you know, they’ve been interracially dating for a hundred years ."

Interracial hooking up has been happening for millennia, Sam, it's why we still have a deep gene pool. Sarcasm aside, "Half-caste" is still a term widely used in this country to refer to people of a "mixed race" (Not the biggest fan of this term either). If you know anything about the Indian Caste system is, you know how fucked up it is to call someone a "half-caste". Hell, even just after WW2, when we were supposed to be the good guys: Decolonisation was busy happening and Britain was losing its shit, literally and figuratively. The King (later President) of Botswana fell in love with and wanted to marry a white Englishwoman. Not wanting to piss off the South Africans (Supplying gold), who were even more racist than we were, we exiled him from Britain and not just his homeland but the ENTIRERTY OF AFRICA. All for marrying a white woman. And this wasn't a hundred years ago. This happened in 1948. He returned a decade later on the condition that he abdicate the throne, again, for marrying a white woman. Thankfully Mr Khama won this story as in 1966 Botswana gained independence and he became their first president. Mr Khama's son is now the 4th President of Botswana (A stable democratic state), and guess what? In this country, he'd be considered a "Half-caste" by a sizeable portion of the population.

This is getting longer than intended. I just get annoyed when people try to downplay racism in other countries because it's apparently worse in America (I wouldn't know so I won't assert this).

Dividing people based on the colour of their skin has been a cancer on society since its inception. Now when an extremely talented actor lands a role in a film about race relations no-less, one of Hollywood's biggest and brightest says he shouldn't have done it because his nationality is wrong. Fuck that.

Now, if Get Out had starred Craig Roberts in the lead role, that would be a different story.

EDIT: Excuse me for that.

addiesin said:
Thank you for elaborating and sorry if I come across harsh. Sometimes moderating means reading every new post and some posts or types of posts can really grind down the nerves to the point that being nice or even neutral is difficult.

Christ, I had no idea you had to read every post. I'll bare that in mind. I hope moderating can be rewarding as well as a grind.

ssj said:
make america act again.

You summed my whole comment up in 4 words before I even posted it. Well played, sir.

Back
Top Bottom