• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2017 Movies

Let's have a fresh page then. The subject of this thread is "2017 movies", not politics.

So they've made a product tie-in a central plot point. Erm... this doesn't look good.

TM2YC said:
Let's have a fresh page then. The subject of this thread is "2017 movies", not politics.

So they've made a product tie-in a central plot point. Erm... this doesn't look good.

Aye sorry. I got a bit carried away.

Can't say I'm too excited for Kingsman's sequel, which is weird for a film as good as Kingsman was.

I haven't seen the trailers and I don't plan to, regardless of if I see it or not. But I don't want to see this movie bomb. Matthew Vaughn has come too far to have a flop this late in his career...

If worst comes to worst and it does, then I'm happy just rewatching Layer Cake over and over. Plus, if it is shite, then you guys can do your worst! Muahahahaha

EDIT: Uch. Bourbon? Seriously? Get outta my Kingsman movie with that pig swill, where's ma Scotch at? Oh I remember... is in ma belly....

Speaking of politics, for those who like a bit of geopolitical drama with their prestige flops, check out this very weird Hollywood Reporter article:

"'The Promise' vs. 'The Ottoman Lieutenant': Two Movies Battle Over the Armenian Genocide"

Dang, now I feel somewhat compelled to rent The Promise at some point, despite its middling reviews. And hey, Richard Roeper liked it, and I often agree with him, so, there's that.  It's crazy to contemplate how such a hugely expensive movie can make so little a cultural splash, but maybe they'll make sure it's widely available on streaming services. And, unlike last year's Ben-Hur, at least they can say their non-profit film endeavor wasn't A) accidentally non-profit, or B) a pointless remake.

Gaith said:
Speaking of politics, for those who like a bit of geopolitical drama with their prestige flops, check out this very weird Hollywood Reporter article:

"'The Promise' vs. 'The Ottoman Lieutenant': Two Movies Battle Over the Armenian Genocide"
Dang, now I feel somewhat compelled to rent The Promise at some point, despite its middling reviews. And hey, Richard Roeper liked it, and I often agree with him, so, there's that.  It's crazy to contemplate how such a hugely expensive movie can make so little a cultural splash, but maybe they'll make sure it's widely available on streaming services. And, unlike last year's Ben-Hur, at least they can say their non-profit film endeavor wasn't A) accidentally non-profit, or B) a pointless remake.

Can't say I'm too enthused by either. The Promise interested me until I found out the central conflict of the movie is a love triangle. A love triangle movie set during the Armenian genocide is an odd choice, to say the least. It's a shame Terry George couldn't craft a bigger success out of this, but he made Hotel Rwanda so he's earned a free pass for life. 
Good to see Roeper likes it though.

The Ottoman Lieutenant, on the other hand, can fuck off in general. Not only is its take on history utterly despicable, but it was made by one of the greatest hack directors in film: Joseph Ruben. Take a look at his filmography, it is breathtakingly mediocre. 
Of course, he'd make a film where the Ottoman Empire are the noble good guys. Erdogan has won folks, welcome to the golden age of Ottoman Turk revisionism. (Not that Ottoman revisionism ever went away)

I might have to go see "The Promise" just out of obligation.

A full trailer for Dunkirk...

Quite a bit of the footage is taken from the 70mm IMAX preview from last year (with the top and bottom of the image cropped to 2.35:1).

I love the spoof 80s TV titles, almost feels like a show that could have existed...

34476360605_1e42498b74_b.jpg

Apparently Netflix are doing a semi-simultaneous release on the 12th of May.

It's difficult to tell from this trailer if it's going to be good but the cast is solid and the real-life story has potential...

I hadn't seen this second trailer from Luc Besson's Valerian 'til today...

It has a lot of different visuals to the first trailer and all of them more dazzling than the last. Much more setup of the world but doesn't go beyond that into spoiler territory IMO.

This could be interesting, I can't imagine a better casting for McEnroe than Shia for those full scale meltdowns...

2017 seems to be the year for tennis biopics...

The Billie Jean King story is amazing, hope it translates. Checkout the unusual oldskool style Fox logo at 0.22.

What, really? Netflix are teaming up with the Jim Henson company to do a Dark Crystal prequel with proper puppets and everything!

I thought that Dark Crystal teaser was just a documentary. This could be fantastic if it's a movie series. 

I'm a little excited for Valerian, but worried that it will be another Fifth Element flop. Sorry to those who love T5E, I do own it and try to enjoy it, but ultimately it looks like an adult-ish Power Rangers (grabs protective shield). Seems like a lot of movies around that time had that odd 80's vibe to them.

DigModiFicaTion said:
[the Fifth Element] looks like an adult-ish Power Rangers (grabs protective shield). Seems like a lot of movies around that time had that odd 80's vibe to them.

you_get_the_hell_out_first_oc-33051.gif

I just went online to find showtimes for Life, which I was hoping to watch as a double feature with Alien: Covenant only to find that its release was moved up from yesterday to March! When did that happen? Did anybody here get a chance to see it while it was still in theaters?

This trailer makes it look dreadful but I can't discount the potential charm of Branagh as Poirot...

Cruise when not in interchangeable-action-man-mode is usually a good performance and film.

This looks damn good. Jack the Ripper era London murder mystery starring Bill Nighy and written by the ever reliable Jane Goldman. I'm sold. It looks more like 'From Hell', than 'From Hell' did.

Only a shame Nighy isn't playing Holmes ;) .

I like the theory that the "Ripper" never actually existed, and was instead a hodge-podge of unrelated cases. How better to explain the fact that Holmes apparently never caught him? :p

The poster design for 'Atomic Blonde' is "the balls" IMO...

poster-xlarge.jpg

Hope the film lives up to that style.

Potentially the greatest/worst film ever made...

David Ayer directs Cop/Orc buddy movie.

In case anybody missed it, here is an upload of the very-quickly-pulled IMAX trailer for 'The Mummy' with half the soundmix missing. I think it's just the center and LFE channels. Hilarious.

Watch it before Universal takes it down.

^Post moved to (I think) the correct thread.

TVs Frink said:
^Post moved to (I think) the correct thread.

LOL yes. What thread had I put it in?

2017 site updates.

TVs Frink said:
2017 site updates.

It had "2017" in the title. Close enough :D .

Back
Top Bottom