• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2017 Movies

more specially, a replicant who has learned kung fu.

seriously, tho, i wonder if scott has lost his storytelling touch. he remains a visual bad-ass, but that's not enough. e.g., prometheus was less than half-baked.

Hmm, it doesn't look/feel like Blade Runner to me.

It is possibly concerning that Hampton Fancher is back with the new story/script, considering (IIRC) he left the original BR project when Ridley Scott got David Peoples in to rewrite everything and Scott (apparently) made basically a totally different movie from the one Fancher envisioned (The "Fancher vs Peoples" slightly grumpy audio-commentary is worth a listen  :D ). Also as evidensed by the recent disappointing movie 'Arrival', Director Denis Villeneuve has no clue how to make awe-inspiring visually dazzling sci-fi of the BR calibre.

ebenezer-scrooge.jpg

I went to see 'Rogue One' in IMAX 70mm over the weekend and was delighted when the theater Manager announced that Christopher Nolan had given them 7-minutes of 'Dunkirk' to show us!

This was a full floor-to-ceiling 4:3(ish) IMAX 70mm film print (from start to finish) and oh my gods, it looked breathtaking. I'm guessing it was probably a mixture of IMAX and standard 70mm footage (given the 7-minute length) but if so, I didn't notice the drop in quality. Unlike with previous Nolan IMAX/35mm hybrid movies where the quality jump is obvious. I hope it's going to be at this aspect-ratio for the whole movie (rather than the 2.35:1 we see in the trailer). Hans Zimmer has used a ticking clock and heartbeat as percussion throughout which I found nerve shredding.

I could not be more excited to see the rest of the movie!

...and the 70s keep on giving!

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2AzLPoljI[/video]

CHiPs!!!   Well, the trailer is waaaaay funnier than the Baywatch one...  :p

I am weirdly curious about this one lol.  Maybe because I remember watching it all the time as a wee little kid.
Its gotta be better than the Dukes of Hazard remake, right?  :blush:

Oof. It looks like they're trying to do 21 Jump Street but are missing what makes that movie good. I don't know about this one. Baywatch looks pretty bad but at least they seem very aware of what they're doing with the source material. I mean, locker room underwear is still funny? Maybe I'm just old now.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the 21 Jump Street comedy remake (gee, I remember when the tv show was MUST VIEWING in college...the dorm tv room was always full lol), I think my absolute favourite remake was STARSKY AND HUTCH.   While still a comedy, it really treated the material and characters respectfully... you felt the love the producers had for the original show, unlike many remakes.

Before I write anything else: this is not a movie coming out in 2017, but a TV series.  

Anyone heard of the X-Men-based TV series involving "two parents and their children".  I was very excited when the producer, Matt Nix, said the show is going to be answering questions such as: "Where did Wolverine go?", even though that was part of announcing it that way... 

Enjoy the article!  
http://comicbook.com/2017/01/12/foxs-x-men-tv-series-confirmed-to-connect-to-x-men-movies/

^ Always a highlight of the film calendar!

However, January isn't all bad...

If 'La La Land' doesn't win Best Film and/or Best Director and/or Original Screenplay and/or All of the Awards available at the Oscars I'll eat my tap-shoes ;) .

Even missing probably the first 10-minutes (the fault of the cinema), not concentrating on the second 10-minutes because I was still angry about missing the first 10-minutes (my fault) and the front-right speaker being crackly (the fault of the cinema) could not dim my enjoyment of this masterpiece. One of the rare times where you are swept up and immersed in the romance of the whole thing, while simultaneously being in awe of the technical genius itself. A modern musical that actually dares to have songs that don't totally suck and has you humming them on the way out. Do not let the plot be spoiled, as the final act is probably one the most brilliantly executed sequences I've ever seen.

I've not seen/heard to many mentions online/in-print of how close the film is in style to Francis Ford Coppola's gorgeous and delightful (yet Zoetrope-Studios-destroying bomb) 'One from the Heart' from 1982. I'm gonna re-watch my blu-ray his weekend and then go for a second viewing of 'La La Land' to compare and see what I missed.

Watched the new Scorsese film 'Silence' last night.

landscape-1479909535-scorsese-silence.png

Another masterpiece as you'd expect and nothing like his other films as you'd expect. It doesn't seem to be doing very good box-office wise but that's understandable as a slowly paced 2.5-hour period film about the Christian faith (specifically Catholicism) isn't going to be for everyone. It follows a Portuguese missionary as he ministers to secret Japanese Christians during 17th Century persecutions/genocide/eradication of the Religion. I loved every second.

What's really interesting is that it features no music... at least what is traditionally called music (The academy didn't class it as music). It's got a beautifully mixed soundscape of natural soundFX. I was 1.5-hrs in before I even thought "Wait. Does this feature no music?". So this is ripe for a fan-rescoring project, as it would require no tricky soundFX replacement. You could go nuts... synth, spaghetti-western, trad-orchestral etc. I was reminded at points of 'Ran', 'Aguirre, Wrath of God' and 'Apocalypse Now', so re-scoring with those would be a treat.

^^ but is the movie ripe for resubbing?

I'd never heard of this movie but saw this trailer at the cinema tonight...

Looks potentially very interesting (Also it being "Zed" and not "Zee" is a mark of quality :D)

A newer trailer for John Wick played too (It was new to me anyway)...

Man they've edited it too perfection, timing all the action and gunshots to the music. Having spent some hours today regrading JW1, I was particularly interested in how it looked. To my eye it looked fantastic without the mis-colured tints of the first movie (However, this youtube upload is slightly mis-coloured too, or they've heavily jacked the saturation).

TM2YC said:
I'd never heard of this movie but saw this trailer at the cinema tonight...

Looks potentially very interesting (Also it being "Zed" and not "Zee" is a mark of quality :D)

It is a fantastic book!  There have been several articles, books and documentaries about explorer Percy Fawcett over the years -- it is truly a fascinating story.  I hope the movie does it justice and does not blockbuster it up too much.

Split - M. Night Shyamalan.  I am no big fan of Shyamalan, but here the film isn’t as bad as I expected from the trailer and quite interesting.  James McAvoy didn’t quiiiite hold it up for me, but still big.  I hated how the other two girls were written, and them being almost completely unneeded in the story after the first 20 minutes didn’t better it.  The soundtrack by West Dylan Thordson (Joy) isn’t bad either.  In conclusion, it is very much a Shyamalan film, and I didn’t love it, but it did keep me entertained for two hours and resolved in a satisfying way.  Too bad for the ending which just pleads you to get interested in a sequel.  A more ambiguous ending I think would have been far more appropriate.  

I also saw Ang Lee’s new “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” and loved it.  It is probably the first time I enjoy a war film so much (I haven’t watched many of them, to be fair).  The performances are good and the 120 fps are noticeable, to say the least.  The writing and even more the EDITING is wonderful.  Too bad for the “film adaptation” subplot which I felt was resolved in a less than satisfying way.  For the way the characters are written I would have expected them to be far less interested in the many they were offered… Hopefully some editing can fix that ;;) I will probably give it a go once this comes out on DVD.  I do recommend the film to anyone who is a fan of Lee’s or simply enjoys a different kind of war film.

KING KONG SKULL ISLAND -- I really, really, really want to love this movie!  

While I enjoyed Godzilla, it lacked a certain element of fun, not to mention very boring human protagonists... but I hope with Kong the producers did not swing the pendulum too far in the opposite direction as the John C. Reilly character in the trailer fills me with worry.

With all that said, I think what I am hoping for is perfectly captured in this awesome Japanese poster!!!!

kong-skull-island-poster-japanese.jpg

bionicbob said:
While I enjoyed Godzilla, it lacked a certain element of fun, not to mention very boring human protagonists... but I hope with Kong the producers did not swing the pendulum too far in the opposite direction as the John C. Reilly character in the trailer fills me with worry.

I assume you are referring to Edwards' Godzilla (2014)? I actually really love that film. I liked the protagonists just fine, but I really loved the "bad-guy" Kaiju. I felt that it was a unique take on the world. Shin Godzilla (which I also loved) on the other hand, paid perfect tribute to every era of Godzilla that preceded it.

I typically love all flavors of Kaiju (except for Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. FTG.). That said, this Kong movie looks really cheese-balls to me, and I'm not crazy about all the potential Kaiju world-building. I hope my gut is wrong, and this is a lot of fun.

After giving positive reviews to Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, I was afraid the Good Doctor was going soft. Thank goodness for "Monster Trucks?!"

ThrowgnCpr said:
I assume you are referring to Edwards' Godzilla (2014)? I actually really love that film. I liked the protagonists just fine, but I really loved the "bad-guy" Kaiju. I felt that it was a unique take on the world. Shin Godzilla (which I also loved) on the other hand, paid perfect tribute to every era of Godzilla that preceded it.

I typically love all flavors of Kaiju (except for Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. FTG.). That said, this Kong movie looks really cheese-balls to me, and I'm not crazy about all the potential Kaiju world-building. I hope my gut is wrong, and this is a lot of fun.

I have not seen Shin Godzilla yet, hopefully it gets a Region 1 blu ray release sooner rather than later.
With Godzilla 2014, I realized after watching it a few times, I was never really rooting for the Big G or at least not as much as I should have been.   There were some brief glimmer moments of "character" for our hero monster, but not enough for me that I felt a connection in the same way I do when I watching the rubber suit classic Godzilla lol.  Still it was a good movie just not quite what I expected....?

As for the Kong remake..... hoping for the best, preparing for the worst... LOL.  :p

Back
Top Bottom