• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

True Detective (New HBO series)

Ligotti writes dense, rather cerebral horror. No visceral gore, as is the current fashion.
Terra firma slipping into fluid cracks.
I have not seen anything especially "new" in a while, but he goes through dry spells.
Definitely a cult figure, yet he does have hardcore fans.
Link to the fansite below, focusing on the Wall Street Journal article on Ligotti and True Detective.

http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=7956

Interesting theory:

I'm really digging this so far. I have never expected anything less than excellence from HBO to begin with (even a bad season of True Blood is better than anything on MTV these days), but this absolutely blew me away.

It kind of looked like at the end of episode 5 and a good bit of 6 that Rust was the one behind the murder in the first episode, or barring that, directed the case to get rid of certain people whom he had a history with. That was my theory, anyways. I'm a little bummed that it wasn't the case, since I think having one of the main characters actually be behind the killing or hijacking the case would have been an interesting turn of events.

I'm hoping that they can work the anthology format a bit better than American Horror Story does. I love AHS to bits, but season 3 was a bit lackluster.

Funny and interesting (100% BS) theory of how the show will end:

The most insane theory has been saved for last. A Reddit user who goes by the handle “simplyravishing” posted that “The Yellow King,” who’s presumably at the heart of the ritualistic killings in True Detective, is none other than “the owner of the Vietnamese restaurant from Episode 3.” His/her evidence for this theory is that Rust and Marty “somehow not only found, but ate at a Vietnamese restaurant in the backwoods of Louisiana,” and that most of the people linked to the cult have been “white guys with white power ideals” like LeDoux and Lange, who would probably refer to a Vietnamese person as “yellow.” Furthermore, there’s the scene where Rust describes LeDoux’s “little shop of horrors as being reminiscent of the way his father described Vietnam,” so we can assume that some nasty stuff went down there. I’ll let simplyravishing take it from here:

The King in Yellow is a Vietnamese refugee who made his way to the United States after the war in an effort to track down Mr. Cohle and any of his living family members to repay him for the atrocities he committed against the King's family in Vietnam. Rust didn't choose to leave Alaska, his father sent him to the relative safety of Texas after training him how to survive the relentless onslaught of the King in Yellow's vengeance. Then, as the investigators stated, Mr. Cohle vanished from the map (the first step in the King's ultimate plan).

After the ‘accident’ involving Rust's daughter (orchestrated by the King in Yellow), Rust knew he had to disappear or face certain death so he chose to go deep cover, finding that to be a safer way to live than be out in the open without a badge where he would be easy for the King in Yellow to pick off. Once, Rust was allowed to resume normal life and take a job as a detective in the Louisiana State Police, the King in Yellow relocated to Louisiana, opened a Vietnamese restaurant as a front to avoid suspicion, and began gaining the loyalty of local criminals by offering them a direct line to his narcotic connections in Southeast Asia. The Lange murder and the cult sculptures are simply breadcrumbs the King in Yellow is using to lure Rust into a trap and finally finish his ultimate quest for revenge.

Source: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-killer-marty-the-five-horsemen-and-more.html

The absolute BEST theory I've seen so far. Don't be surprised if this guy is right:

DominicCobb said:
The absolute BEST theory I've seen so far. Don't be surprised if this guy is right:

Gatos said:
Interesting theory:

I beat you to it.

Shit, first I miss the Yellow King in True Detective, then I miss Gatos's post about missing the Yellow King in True Detective. Coincidence? I think not.

I quite enjoyed the finale. I'm sure a good amount of viewers will feel unsatisfied (I'm looking at you [MENTION=8731]Gatos[/MENTION]) but I'm glad they kept it straight-forward. The focus of this story isn't THE YELLOW KING, it's Rust and Marty. And they did a damn fine job of writing The End for those characters.

Take your pick, this was one of the greatest...
... TV seasons...
... miniseries...
... detective stories...
... etc...
... ever.

I'm sure I'll be watching this eight episode set many more times in the future.

Also glad that there was no twist, as I expected/hoped. I found it a very satisfying conclusion to their investigation and a nice resolution for their characters. And Rust Cohle will forever be one of my favorite TV characters of all time. Great stuff, bring on the next season.

Great interview with creator Nic Pizzolatto:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/03/10/t...gs-season-2-and-the-future-of-cohle-and-hart/

Neglify said:
I quite enjoyed the finale. I'm sure a good amount of viewers will feel unsatisfied (I'm looking at you Gatos) but I'm glad they kept it straight-forward. The focus of this story isn't THE YELLOW KING, it's Rust and Marty. And they did a damn fine job of writing The End for those characters.

I was kind of undecided as to whether the finale was great or I was unsatisfied. I liked it though. Did I like EVERYTHING about it? No. But it was creepy as hell and the chase through Carcosa was pretty damn suspenseful. What I was hoping to happen was:
They catch lawnmower man. Case closed (or as closed and can be, I was not expecting the two of them to take down an entire cult made up of powerful people). And then Cohle kills himself. He kills himself because the job, and the Dora Lange case were the only thing keeping him going, keeping him living. He was, after all, a philosophical pessimist. And once said that we should all just stop procreating and walk hand in hand into extinction. The only thing keeping him from killing himself was the job. Anyway, too dark an ending I suppose.

Indeed. I was not concerned with who the yellow king was. From the beginning I saw it as character driven and the case was secondary. It's funny to read on message boards people still talking about who the yellow king was
IMO there was no yellow king. Save for that weird tree sculpture/scarecrow with old yellow rags hanging on it.

Also I wasn't expecting nor wanting a big twist. But I was expecting it to be dark and not "happy".

Ultimately there was a twist, in some regards:
It ended happy and Rust was able to move on and reject his pessimism.

The Yellow King
TjEDI7J.jpg

Neglify said:
I quite enjoyed the finale. I'm sure a good amount of viewers will feel unsatisfied (I'm looking at you Gatos) but I'm glad they kept it straight-forward. The focus of this story isn't THE YELLOW KING, it's Rust and Marty. And they did a damn fine job of writing The End for those characters.

Agree with this sentiment, the relationship and acting by the leads was incredible throughout. The case was definitely secondary, and to me, when the show focused on the details of the case it lost its spark somtimes. For example, I expected more originality from this show than a solo hunt for the killer without backup and no phone reception. I guess it's arguable that they used that cliche in a new and interesting way, but it all felt very familiar.

Also, the huge number of red herrings and chekhov's guns were a bit frustrating to me. Some ambiguous loose ends are fine, but this felt like intentionally leadng the audience down the garden path .

overalll, I'll remember this show for the brilliant characters and amazing performance by the two leads. Loved their non-case convos and all the dark philosophy. Oh, and the music, cinematography and opening credits were all perfect too!

I loved pretty much every second of this show right up to
Cohle's final monologue. Eight hours of one of the the most interesting, engaging, original characters ever put on screen was flushed down the tubes with some BS born-again, near-death experience nonsense.

Even still, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen. I'd hate to be an Emmy voter and have to choose between Cranston and McConaughey this year.

So, who's doing the TV-to-movie edit on this one?

Back
Top Bottom