• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

True Detective (New HBO series)

Ok im a bit confused- what did the deal with the biker and he whole one shot have to do with the murder investigation?
also the killing of the 2 guys at the house in the field and rescue of 2 children, what does that have to do with the investigation?

g9Mem06.png

I'm up to date now, and loving it.

Anyone care to share their theories on how all this will end? There are many potential clues, but are they red herrings? hmmm...

There is a pretty strong contention going around that Woody is the Yellow King. A number of clues support this idea, but I sort of hope this is misleading... At this point, I would be sad to see one of the leads as the big bad. Hopefully it plays out another way...

My favourite theory is that Cole is still undercover, and never actually left the force. Or maybe he's Batman. Regardless, it's sad that we only have two episodes left with these characters.

Also, best opening credits ever?

njvc said:
Anyone care to share their theories on how all this will end? There are many potential clues, but are they red herrings? hmmm...

There is a pretty strong contention going around that Woody is the Yellow King. A number of clues support this idea, but I sort of hope this is misleading... At this point, I would be sad to see one of the leads as the big bad. Hopefully it plays out another way...

My favourite theory is that Cole is still undercover, and never actually left the force. Or maybe he's Batman. Regardless, it's sad that we only have two episodes left with these characters.

Yep:
Well I've read some interviews with the writer, and he claims that there will be no twists (he was talking about how he's gotten a kick out of reading all the theories and the ideas about plot twists). So Hart being the killer doesn't seem like a possibility but who knows, maybe the writer has been lying in the interviews.

I like the idea that Cohle is still undercover. It makes sense, he was getting close to something with Tuttle etc., so maybe that was the only way to learn more info, is stay undercover etc.

Have you seen the preview for next week's episode, if so, here are two theories being floated around:
Rust shows Marty a video of his daughter getting molested at a young age by "the cult" (if there is one). Or the video shows that Maggie is some how involved with the conspiracy. It's funny how you can dissect a 5 second clip from a preview. People on the web are saying Hart's reaction was not outraged enough for the video to have been of his daughter. But clearly it is something shocking.

Also, forgot to mention. I've been rewatching the previous episodes. I rewatched the first episode and....
I think the last episode hooks up with the very,very very opening scene of the first episode. I had complete forgot about this scene. But you see a big fire, and you see two shadows, looks like one is carrying/supporting the other (like a drunk friend) as they move through a field. Maybe thats Cohle and Hart and that was a flashforward? We'll see...

Adabisi said:
I've read a lot of theories/explanations about this show, but this is my favourite so far.

http://rawheddrexx.kinja.com/true-detective-just-broke-the-4th-wall-1524319378

Nice! But...

As cool as it would be for the show to end up being a Lost Highway-ish moebius strip, I think there is going to be a definite resolution to the story. At least Michelle Monaghan (who plays Harrelson's wife) said so in a recent interview. But still that theory is kinda cool

Adabisi - I'm almost positive that is true. Most theories out there are bonkers. The creator said there'd be no twists, and so far I haven't seen anything to suggest that there would be. But the membrane theory is certainly a metaphor for the show itself (and for all TV shows), and, while I had completely forgotten about that opening shot, it clearly has some significance we have yet to learn, and, most logically, it will sync up with the end of the (mini) series.

EDIT: Gatos I do believe the story will be something of a moebius strip, but that doesn't exclude the chance of resolution (which I believe there will be).

Gatos said:
About the very opening scene:

Image one:
I'm fairly positive it's one or both of them.

Image two:
Yup.

Image three:
There's some talk about "controlled crop burns" or something like that in the first episode. It's either a shot of that or a shot of something made to look like that.

jswert123456 said:
Ok im a bit confused- what did the deal with the biker and he whole one shot have to do with the murder investigation?
also the killing of the 2 guys at the house in the field and rescue of 2 children, what does that have to do with the investigation?
The bikers were dealing drugs with Reggie Ledoux (the murder suspect). The only way to get to him was through them, and the only way to do that was for Rust to prove his loyalty/do them a favor by participating in a heist.

The two guys at the house were Ledoux and his cooking partner. It was believed by the detectives at the time that they were the people who committed the Lang murder (and even if they didn't they were certainly accomplices).

njvc said:
Also, best opening credits ever?
Yes, as far as I'm concerned.

A belated Valentine's Day card from Rustin Cohle:

So I got flamed last week on a different forum that I frequent, when I mentioned that I thought last Sunday's episode was the weakest of the 6 episodes. I made clear I still thought it was a good episode, just in the scheme of things it was the weakest thus far. Still it was an important set-up episode and gave us more of the Cohle and Hart's stories and also the reason for the ultimate split.

Now last night's episode, IMO was way better than last week's. We got to see more investigative work, we got to see more of the characters of Cohle and Hart's and we've found out some shit.
The solution really was right under their noses!
And we have a set-up for a killer (pun sort of intended) finale.

This show has taken a beating from some critics and casual viewers. People saying it was trying too hard to be deep. Others saying people are all hipsters and just want to latch on the next "great" show even if the show isn't that great. All the crazy fan theories and ideas and crazy dissections.

In retrospect maybe this will not end up being a "great" show. But I'm confident, whatever happens next Sunday, it will be known at the very least as a good show. Some great acting performances, solid writing, an excellent mood that has been set from the cinematography, shooting locations, music, and subject matter. And a fuggin awesome, interesting character in Rustin Cohle.

The countdown to Sunday begins now...

Mmm, I'm pretty sure this is a great show. Bring on the finale!

I agree about episode 6 Gatos, and also think 7 was not as compelling as the early episodes. Since the interviews have ceased, it feels like a different show... But I'll hold final judgement until next week of course. Hopefully there's an ace up the sleeve, but I'm worried...

Regardless, I will miss philosophy lectures from Cohle once all this is wrapped up!

njvc said:
I agree about episode 6 Gatos, and also think 7 was not as compelling as the early episodes. Since the interviews have ceased, it feels like a different show... But I'll hold final judgement until next week of course. Hopefully there's an ace up the sleeve, but I'm worried...

FWIW, Pizzolato, the writer, has said there will be no surprise twists or anything. However both McCounaghey and Monaghan (who plays Maggie) have said the show does have a resolution. And apparently McCounaghey said it will be "shocking". The preview for the finale makes it look pretty damn action packed. So who knows. I was hoping the finale was going to have an extended runtime but apparently its the regular allotted time for an episode.
njvc said:
Regardless, I will miss philosophy lectures from Cohle once all this is wrapped up!

Cohle's Pessimist Handbook:

Back
Top Bottom