• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thunderbirds: trapped in the sky: International Rescue edition

TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
TM2YC said:
Read it again.

I have, and I have done what you asked!

So you have read and answered these questions then...?

TM2YC said:
These answers need more clarification.

It's 25fps okay, but is that progressive, or something else?

You didn't actually answer what the "pixel-aspect-ratio" was. Drop your source into Vegas and look in the "pixel-aspect-ratio" box in the Vegas Project-properties menu and tell me what it says. Better still, take a screengrab of Project-properties like this...

27607410822_21e6972e11_o.jpg

I've gone to the trouble of posting a screengrab to help explain how you can answers the questions and you've still ignored it.

I cannot answer the pixel-aspect-ratio question because I have an older versio of Sony Vegas that does not tell me what the picel-aspect-ratio is!

Now can you answer me a question, Why do you need to know!?

I've used vegas since version 7. You're full of shit

wilhelm scream said:
I cannot answer the pixel-aspect-ratio question because I have an older versio of Sony Vegas that does not tell me what the picel-aspect-ratio is!

This seems unlikely. How about you post a screengrab of your "project properties" window like I asked you to and we can all see what is, or is not there.

A new question... what version of Vegas do you have?

wilhelm scream said:

Isn't it obvious? I've already answered that question about a billion times. For example...

TM2YC said:
The purpose of the questions is to get answers that can be used to help you!

If you actually read what I posted, it would be a lot easier.

TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:

This seems unlikely. How about you post a screengrab of your "project properties" window like I asked you to and we can all see what is, or is not there.

A new question... what version of Vegas do you have?

wilhelm scream said:

Isn't it obvious? I've already answered that question about a billion times. For example...

TM2YC said:
The purpose of the questions is to get answers that can be used to help you!

If you actually read what I posted, it would be a lot easier.

Here's the screenshot you wanted:

capture_by_bob79519-da6y8cd.png

Also, how can you help me if you have not seen the updated version of the edit!? If you want to see it, just PM me!

wilhelm scream said:
Here's the screenshot you wanted:

capture_by_bob79519-da6y8cd.png

Finally a full answer! It only took you 9-months of repeatedly ignoring our questions. So given that you could easily just give us this information, why did you feel the need to lie about it last night in the following post...?

wilhelm scream said:

If those settings are true for your source file, your project timeline and your renders, you should have no further framerate problems like you were having last year, as these settings are correct for a PAL-DVD source.

wilhelm scream said:
how can you help me if you have not seen the updated version of the edit!? If you want to see it, just PM me!

As has been explained to you many times in this thread... myself, or anybody else from the Academy, was not prepared to view any version of your edit until you asked some simple, basic and easy questions about your settings (Given the horrendous framerate and quality issues of previous versions).

Now that you have finally answered the questions, we can take a look at your edit. Please PM me the links and lets have no more nonsense. Thanks.

Thread moved to "pending Approval".

By the way, you haven't answered this one yet...

wilhelm scream said:
what version of Vegas do you have?

wilhelm scream said:
I have Sony Vegas 11

Thanks for the info. I've got the edit now. My Vegas (v12) gives me this info...

27167252084_d79cbd7c86_o.jpg

...which is different from what you posted?

TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
I have Sony Vegas 11

Thanks for the info. I've got the edit now. My Vegas (v12) gives me this info...

27167252084_d79cbd7c86_o.jpg

...which is different from what you posted?

The layouts are different.

wilhelm scream said:
The layouts are different.

The layouts are the same, the information in the boxes is different.

I don't know what to say to most of this thread.

you're losing your touch, freenk.  :D

Oh, it makes total sense. Shadier than a lane on a Pavement record, though.

I check this, but I don't altogether understand.
Other than the avoidance of direct answers.

Yet the "progressive" and other terms - uhh - quick tutorial, maybe?

Vultural said:
"progressive" and other terms - uhh - quick tutorial, maybe?

fcpx_progressive_interlaced.jpg

interlaced-scan.jpg

InterlacedVsProgressive.jpg

If you've ever seen something say 1080p, or 1080i, well that last letter is telling you if it's progressive, or interlaced. 24 frames-per-second film stock (Which is progressive = a series of 24 still images every second) is translated for video into either NTSC 29.97fields-per-second (which is interlaced), or PAL 25frames-per-second with a resultant 4% speed-up.

To be honest, I find interlacing a bit confusing sometimes. I prefer to stick to progressive Blu-Ray and PAL-DVD sources when ever possible. But if you don't at least know it exists, then you can run into trouble, as this project has in the early stages.

TM2YC said:

Would that example be a static image or something with movement?
Because, back when I used to buy piles of DVDs from eBay vendors,
I used to see that jagged edge in action sequences or speed on some of them.
I'll catch this sometimes in files (avi - mp4) but not much.

If interlacing results in that, why do people use it?
Quicker?

I've finished previewing the latest version of "trapped in the sky: International Rescue edition" and it's almost ready for approval. The heavy compression and choppy framerate problems from earlier are gone (With one exception, see below).

I got the Blu-Ray boxset of Thunderbirds not so long ago and was quite surprised how long and slow the 50 minute episodes now seem, so this 25 minute edit feels exactly right. It's the fast-paced Thunderbirds you probably "remember" watching as a kid. The rescue is there but in super-fast time and the edits are all quite smooth too. Nice job.

- There is just one issue that I'm concerned about. At 00.30 as T2 is taking off, there is obvious interlacing combing going on. As this encode is progressive, this cannot be switched off. Oddly, Im pretty sure it is only present in this one shot. Even all quick camera pans from side-to-side are fine in the rest of the edit. Here is a screenshot...

27584954530_ea2447f5c7_o.png

@"wilhelm scream" Did this shot come from a different source or something?

There were a couple of other minor points at the end that you don't need to correct but I personally didn't like them:

- The fade out while the villain is still halfway through talking felt odd. Maybe fade later, or slower? Or just hard cut to the theme music perhaps?

- Your faneditor titlecard at 25.24 featuring the eponymous "wilhelm scream" sound effect is very loud and annoying (Maybe twice as loud as the rest of the edit). Plus "comic sans" is a widely despised font. There must be classier fonts that could be used?

27251184724_42f9be569f_o.png

comicsansred_fullpic.png

So in conclusion, if you could just clear up what is going on with that T2 shot above, then we can move to adding this to ifdb.

Vultural said:
If interlacing results in that, why do people use it?

It's how NTSC TV used to be broadcast. Somebody thought it was a good idea to carry it on for VHS, Laserdisc and even DVD  . Thankfully modern HD TVs and formats have progressive film-speed material as the standard. It's sorta like moving from imperial, to metric, in that the old system remains very popular... despite being clearly mental :D.

Back
Top Bottom