• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thunderbirds: trapped in the sky: International Rescue edition

Thread moved back to ITW.

well guys the edit is officially finished for real! PM me for link because new file size is to big for Viemo free account.

Did you resubmit it?

Alrighty then, thread moved back to pending approval.

It hasn't. You might be seeing a site glitch related to the temporary shutdown last week. Try refreshing the browser window.

well since it probably won't be approved any time soon: here is the edit!
(password:fanedit)

wilhelm scream said:
well since it probably won't be approved any time soon

That's the spirit!

Thanks! Also what did you think of the final version of the edit?

I didn't watch it, sorry.

Here's some feedback. The good news is that it's pretty much ALMOST spotless and I have only two issues with it

6:01...just spotted a pretty abrupt cut there with the guy hearing the Fireflash intercom. You ought to stay on him if you can't remove him entirely.

I'm not sure how I feel about your choice of ending...again, feels too abrupt. I always did love Virgil playing the theme on the piano at the climax, but since you had cut out Kyrano's health problems, I get why you omitted the final scene, still you might want to figure out a way around it

That aside, I enjoyed the new version, just keep at it a bit more and you'll find a happy medium

I do not own and have never seen the original THUNDERBIRDS, so I can not comment/review too much... But I did watch the first ten minutes out of curiosity.... the video is heavily interlaced, you can clearly see it in action shots and scene transitions.... so that may prove to be a problem for final approval. Also, "edition" is spelled incorrectly in your main title card. When I have time I will try to watch the whole edit.

I just watched the "sequel" episode of the new series, so it was interesting to revisit the original Fireflash episode with this edit.

Sorry but on an overall technical front this edit is not approved. I'll explain why...

It appears at 29.970029-progressive, when it should probably should have been interlaced? So there are massive ammounts of combing anytime the camera and/or objects move more than say a pixel to the right or left. Plus two frames appear on top of one another whenever there is a cut. The image quality is also extremely poor and compressed. It all makes it very hard to watch. You probably need to remake this thing from scratch. But there are other specific problems...

00.00 - I found your "Wilhelm Scream" faneditor titlecard to be loud and annoying but it's your titlecard, so it's fine with me, if it's fine with you.
00.10 - Custom legal warning card has 5 spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
00.28 - Heavy crackling distortion on the audio and it cuts out at random too.
01.24 - The opening music seems to be waaaay louder than the rest of the edit? (All the music seems very loud in fact, to the point of distortion) No idea why this should be, surely it's all from one source?
01.54 - Audio edit to airport is very abrupt, like a skipped record (Plus more audio distortion)
02.02 - The custom titlecard looks very bad. The letters are different sizes, different shades of white/grey and aren't even straight, or all on screen
02.43 - Another abrupt audio hardcut to airport exterior
03.10 - The shot does a strange wobble here but that might just be the source
06.01 - Wierd visual glitch as some random frames flash up for a moment
22.08 - Music volume sudenly jumps up 50% from an already loud start and drowns out all dialogue and FX. It was almost deafening until I turned it down.
25.39 - Loud music instantly cuts out at random?
24.21 - Sudden fade to black and end credits while characters are still talking was very odd
24.30 - Ending music again seems extremely loud
25.28 - Error filled warning card is repeated

Finally, it's a long time since I watched the original episode but I found the plot in this edit felt disjointed, random, unfocused and confusing. I'm guessing that is down to the parts you removed? Or maybe it's just this big kid remembering the source with rose-tinted-spectacles :p.

This edit needs a lot of work, and like I say above, that probably involves starting from scratch.

well I followed TM2YC's advice and have finished the edit, here are the changes:

-converted to 16:9

-trimmed opening credits

-removed Kyrano and Tintin completely

-removed all the failed rescue attempts

-removed the Hood taking placing bomb in plane and taking off mask after phone call

-alternate shots during scene where airport calls the Fireflash to tell them about the bomb to remove blonde pilot standing up

-removed all scenes on Tracy island before John calls Jeff

-removed some scenes of the Fireflash reporting on it's progress

-removed all fades to black except for the end

-faneditor's name and website credit added after the credits

-removed boys going "OK father" during briefing scene since Alan's voice is different from the rest of the series!

-trimmed rescue to fit new music track.

-new title card

I just have to upload on to a website first and I don't want to convert it into a lower memory size, otherwise the video quality will be as bad as the other 2 attempts and it is now 24 minutes long but makes more sense this time!

I have uploaded the edit to MEGA, Pm me if you want to watch it!

I started watching the new version but I'm sorry, it's still far from approvable :-(.

I got a few minutes in and decided to stop as the image was not fun to look at. Again, I suspect you've got some basic stuff wrong with how you've prepared your source file, setup your project timeline and maybe even with your render settings. I strongly suggest you get these "technical" issues sorted before spending any time on the "creative" stuff. The technical forums are a great place to ask for help with this stuff :).

Here are some general issues...

- What framerate is your source? First you were using 29.97fps (progressive), now this latest version is 25fps (Interlaced). No matter what setting I choose in VLC-media-player I can't make it play without heavy ghosting or combing. Are you working from a PAL-DVD, or an NTSC-DVD? Here is a screengrab...

21307791728_1cd9898d45.jpg

- 16:9 is the wrong aspect-ratio, Thunderbirds should be 4:3. You said above...

wilhelm scream said:
-converted to 16:9

^ This is not correct. You've stretched it horizontally to 16:9. "Converting" to 16:9, would entail cropping the image while maintaining the original AR. I've made a quick mockup to help explain the problem (Hope this helps)...

21469224276_eca8ffc069_b.jpg

- The video is very compressed and blurry. Given that this 1.22GB for only 25mins, it should be possible to get a near perfect image. e.g. Another screengrab...

20872949784_c14e8b52a0_o.png

Here are some specific issues...

00.15 - Abrupt audio cut to the runway. The music just cuts with no transition or fade at all.
00.22 - The new titlecard looks very wrong for several reasons. This one shot actually is 16:9, so converting the edit to the correct 4:3, then makes this go wrong. It's clearly a freeze frame when there are other full-motion establishing shots either side that would have worked perfectly? (Hard to understand why this was done). The font is really bad and not something that would ever be used in a genuine TV show, so it stands out. Have a look at what fonts were used in the actual 60s TV show. I also don't like the way the words are layed out on screen (That's just my opinion) and the "R" of "Rescue" should be capitalized at the very least.

21307914668_bd22bec7d1_o.png

Compare that ^ to the stylish 60s font and layout used in the AR comparison I did above.

That is about as far as I got. Please provide some more info about how you are ripping, editing and rendering these files (Sources, Settings and Programs?) and I'm sure we can help you get it right :).

Back
Top Bottom