• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor - The Dark World: Hard Forged Edition

While version one flows flawlessly (BRAVO--GREAT WORK), I prefer version two as I believe the scene between Loki and Frigga is a vital emotional beat to Loki's character and later motivation.

Version 2 is doing it for me as well - although it would be good to see it with the other scenes around it like in the first test, to get a feel for the flow, the emotional content of the scene is very important.

i wonder if you can give it a Christopher Nolan-ish feel, chopping up the Loki/Frigga chat and mixing it in with the other scenes. so it all seems like it's happening at the same time and the tension of each scene is feeding off the other. blending and layering Loki/Frigga dialog over the other stuff. i dunno. like the "training" montage of Inception. just thowing it out there, maybe i'm way off base.

coinilius said:
Version 2 is doing it for me as well - although it would be good to see it with the other scenes around it like in the first test, to get a feel for the flow, the emotional content of the scene is very important.

I'm going with the 2nd one for sure now. Thanks for the feedback.

baileym43 said:
i wonder if you can give it a Christopher Nolan-ish feel, chopping up the Loki/Frigga chat and mixing it in with the other scenes. so it all seems like it's happening at the same time and the tension of each scene is feeding off the other. blending and layering Loki/Frigga dialog over the other stuff. i dunno. like the "training" montage of Inception. just thowing it out there, maybe i'm way off base.

Interesting idea but I'm not sure it would work for this scene. The Frigga/Loki dialogue isn't really strong enough to create a powerful montage.

In other news...

I've re-ordered the placement of most of the scenes between the assault on Asgard and the journey to Svartalfheim. The flow is so much better and more natural now. I've collected all the disjointed Dr Selvig material together in one sequence that now falls just after the funeral. So it forms a nice light-hearted break to 'cleanse the palate' after all the heavy stuff and before the build up to the final act. It's nice that we no longer keep randomly cutting back to this subplot. But the re-ordering now means I need a night-scape shot of London to replace one of the daylight shots of the Thames.

Also, I've put back in part (The start and end) of the 'Jane Learns About The Aether' deleted scene. It replaces the horrible mess that was the 'Jane tripping out from Aether fumes and then getting arrested' sequence ;-).

Quick question... anybody know the reason that Thor has armour on his arms in some sequences but not others? (Not just Thor2) Was this explained in Thor1 or Avengers and I've forgotten?

Chris-Hemsworth-behind-the-scenes.jpg

THOR-THE-DARK-WORLD-Images-535x296.jpg

It just bugs me.

That new opening mostly looks great, but the way the word "Asgard" shows up so soon after the title comes across a little awkward to me. It almost gives off the feeling that the title of the movie is "Thor: The Dark World: Asgard". Maybe it's just me, though.

hbenthow said:
That new opening mostly looks great, but the way the word "Asgard" shows up so soon after the title comes across a little awkward to me. It almost gives off the feeling that the title of the movie is "Thor: The Dark World: Asgard". Maybe it's just me, though.

I agree it isn't ideal and I feared it might be an issue, if there was a way to remove it and place it a few seconds later I would. I already tried a simple cropping and it just looked badly cropped. I could fade it out earlier but I really wanted it to vanish to time exactly with the swoosh sound as the camera passes through the bridge arch thing. Not sure about any other way to remove it.

Here is my latest test...

- Removed all of Loki's nonsensical post-dubbed dialogue "You really think I cared about Frigga? About any of you? All I ever wanted was you and Odin dead at my feet!" (Who was he saying it to and for what benefit?!?)
- Rebuilt the music, added wind, footsteps etc
- Removed the green-screen shot of Loki saying a couple of words (Surprise, surprise, the footage went back together again seemlessly afterwards)

Really hard to get the whole soundmix to be right on this. I'd consider that ^ clip to be a work-in-progress but would welcome suggestions of what you guys feel is "missing" from the soundscape?

I might replace it with some of this Loki dialogue...

...Loki calling Thor "Banana-Head-Fart-Man" would be kinda awesome
Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_08.gif

btw This early featurette contains quite a bit of alternate footage not seen in the film or even the deleted material. Plus different colour timings of shots, untreated location footage, unfinished FX shots, alternate dialogue readings etc (Shame none of it is in a useable state).

[MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION], I am really looking forward to seeing this. I saw Thor: The Dark World twice while it was in theaters. And while I did enjoy it both times, I was thinking that a fan edit could definitely improve upon it. The sound mix you did on your most recent clip was excellent - I didn't even any of it had been rebuilt. You're doing a fantastic job...keep it up! :D

TM2YC said:
I agree it isn't ideal and I feared it might be an issue, if there was a way to remove it and place it a few seconds later I would. I already tried a simple cropping and it just looked badly cropped. I could fade it out earlier but I really wanted it to vanish to time exactly with the swoosh sound as the camera passes through the bridge arch thing. Not sure about any other way to remove it.
I see.

I noticed one more thing. In the theatrical cut, there is a subtitle reading "Vanaheim" when the scene cuts to Sif and the Warriors Three fighting. In your opening, there's no subtitle telling us where the battle is taking place.

hbenthow said:
I see.

I noticed one more thing. In the theatrical cut, there is a subtitle reading "Vanaheim" when the scene cuts to Sif and the Warriors Three fighting. In your opening, there's no subtitle telling us where the battle is taking place.

I already rectified that one right after posting that clip but thanks anyway and keep the suggestions flowing ;-). A newly made "Vanaheim" title now show up a few seconds into that sequence. Hopefully I've got the font type, placement, colour and size all a near perfect match to the other titles.

(^ Click to see fullsize image)

btw I'll just put this out there... if anybody reading this has Premiere/After-Effects (Or something else), has the know-how and is willing to erase the "Asgard" title from the opening sequence for me, then that would be awesome! :) (FYI, It's visible for 91 frames or about 4 seconds).

Realised there was another little swooshing sound on the intro a bit earlier so I've faded out the 'Thor: The Dark World' title in time with that. I've also gone back through and changed all the Dark Elves' subtitles to the correct size, font and colour to match the titlecards and the proper BR subs.

If any budding screenwriters want a go at re-writing all the Dark Elves' dialogue then let me know. It's often fairly basic and unimaginative stuff so something more poetic would be nice (If anybody is interested I could render a short compilation of all the dialogue in one clip?)

For the Dark Elves new dialogue, it might be fun to write it like the old THOR comic book dialogue, a quasi-Shakespeare, lots of "thy", "thou" and "thee" and such.... :D

TM2YC said:
- Removed all of Loki's nonsensical post-dubbed dialogue "You really think I cared about Frigga? About any of you? All I ever wanted was you and Odin dead at my feet!" (Who was he saying it to and for what benefit?!?)
i thought he/they did that to put on the act for the Dark Elvs to play up their little "betrayal" show.
i did think it was odd they did it so far away though.
(naturally it was to throw off us, the audience watching a movie, but most people here think in terms of characters in a world, not actors playing people on a screen.)

Nic said:
As for Loki's death and resurrection, I was wondering if you could make him appear more blue as he seems to fade away, since his Frost Giant form is his default.

Why yes I can ;-)...

Not quite the full bore blue face paint he had in Thor1 but I disliked that anyway. Gone for a more subtle cold stone like look.

bionicbob said:
For the Dark Elves new dialogue, it might be fun to write it like the old THOR comic book dialogue, a quasi-Shakespeare, lots of "thy", "thou" and "thee" and such.... :D

Taking that idea a bit too literally, I've cut-and-pasted some Shakespeare into one of Malakith and Algrim's scenes...

It's from 'Julius Caesar', 'Henry IV Pt.2' and 'Henry VI' and works pretty well. The dialogue in that scene wasn't too bad anyway but it's nice to have the same emotions expressed with a little poetry. But seriously, a few panels from the old comics would be handy to read what kind of thing you are talking about (As I've never read them).

TM2YC said:
Taking that idea a bit too literally, I've cut-and-pasted some Shakespeare into one of Malakith and Algrim's scenes...

It's from 'Julius Caesar', 'Henry IV Pt.2' and 'Henry VI' and works pretty well. The dialogue in that scene wasn't too bad anyway but it's nice to have the same emotions expressed with a little poetry. But seriously, a few panels from the old comics would be handy to read what kind of thing you are talking about (As I've never read them).

I really wanted to fix the MASSIVE London Tube based error in Thor2 but no matter how much I cut it, rearranged it, reverse it, slowmo the footage or remove the dialogue, I just couldn't correct it. I guess my cut of Thor2 will have to retain the dialogue...

Thor - "How do I get to Greenwich?"
Lady on Tube - "Take this train. 3 stops"

The quickest route from Charing Cross to Greenwich is 13 stops with two changes of line (Northern/Bakerloo-->Jubilee-->DLR).

The only other two options are...

- Digitally changing all the signage in that sequence from 'Charing Cross' to either 'Lewisham' or 'Mudchute' (Yes Mudchute is a real station ;-)). While you were at it, you could also CGI in all the missing carriages.
- Getting the actress 'Annabel Norbury' back in to re-record her line as "13 stops" (I bet she got the p*ss taken out of her by her friends for the original line).

Oh well, you probably have to have lived in London to be bothered by this anyway :D.

In your edit, will the scene where Malekith tells Algrim to become the last of the Kursed come before or after Odin explains the history of the Dark Elves to Thor and Jane? I ask because if it comes after Odin's explanation, the flashback showing the former Kursed is a little confusing without Malakith's dialogue. However, the Algrim scene comes before Odin's exposition, the audience will have already been introduced to the concept of Kursed before the flashback, making it much less confusing.

The blue face looks good. I would've liked consistency, but it's also important to trust that the people who've watched the Marvel movies know what's going on with the shift into blue.

Also, I never cleared up my poorly worded "illusion magic to be ruined" line on page 2. You know how once you know the secret behind a magician's trick, they're not as impressive anymore? That's kinda what happened in that deleted scene between Thor and Frigga. I chose my words poorly because I was trying to clever with Firgga and Loki's powers and not wanting the illusion of the illusion magic to be ruined. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom