• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The War Of The Stars: A New Hope Grindhoused

In case you missed it on OT.com, someone stole TMBTM's Vader idea:

imageload.jpg

That snooze button would be Vader's weakness if you could get close enough :wink:

Frink, will you make a cutlist for that one too? ;-)

"no" as in "not ever"? why? this script could be truly fascinating...

Wait, I'm confused. Are we talking about a script for The War of the Stars?

well, about the cutlist from the original and the alterations in this one. That thing you always do, you know?

Well, here's the thing...

I only have detailed base scripts for the Prequels, and the base scripts take much much longer than the cutlist scripts. Also, somewhere in the back of my mind, I still have the idea of doing the Matrix sequel cutlists. And you may have noticed I haven't spent much time on cutlists lately (only 1 completed in the past few months).

Having said that, I think it would be fun to work on, if for no other reason than to discover a few changes I probably missed.

So...I'm saying no for now. But not forever. We'll see down the road... :)

great news. So we can be hopeful. I am sure this script will be a fun read. :)
We need more Star Wars mockery edits anyway.

Absolutely loved this and your Jaws re-edit, and I'm looking forward to your next project! But I have to ask, why wasn't Tomita's Star Wars theme used anywhere on this? Tomita was used elsewhere on the soundtrack, and his version of the Star Wars theme is hilarious and would have been perfectly suited to this. On the other hand, maybe Tomita's Star Wars is a little too hilarious.

JohnR said:
Absolutely loved this and your Jaws re-edit, and I'm looking forward to your next project! But I have to ask, why wasn't Tomita's Star Wars theme used anywhere on this? Tomita was used elsewhere on the soundtrack, and his version of the Star Wars theme is hilarious and would have been perfectly suited to this. On the other hand, maybe Tomita's Star Wars is a little too hilarious.

Thank you :)
Yes, I had Tomita's Star Wars theme on my PC.
I like it and tried to use it but ended with a wrong feeling. I thought his take of Gustav Holst's "Mars, The Bringer of War" (which was a big influence for Williams by the way) was more accurate for my edit.
There is also some part of the movie where I wanted to use more non Williams score (and maybe Tomita's SW theme after all) but it was technicaly quite impossible to remove the actual score to replace it with another.

Congrats on another well deserved fanedit of the month!
you are the stuff of legend TMBTM. :)

Watching it right now, and while I have sniggered a few times I laughed out loud at 58 minutes in:

" - This is ridiculus!

- I know what you mean"

:smile:

I'm gonna watch this again, but I think my favourite bit is when Leia hands Luke a beer.... :lol:

Just saw this and have to bump the thread.

Holy s**t. This IS Star Wars now to me. Amazing work. I laughed so hard and so much that my girlfriend got angry at me for keeping her awake. It honestly made me cry. There were times when I couldn't tell what was original and what was fanedit--Perfect and very well-needed sendup.

Thank you!

Thanks kurish.
Glad you liked it. :)

I think this may be the best fan edit I've seen, or at least the most fun. I expected to put it on, watch about ten minutes, say "Okay, I get it" and be done with it. Instead I sat all the way through it with a big smile on my face. I loved it! So well done, I've started telling all my friends about it.

I will add my name to the list of folks who didn't think the Troops bit worked, but that's minor. There were so many other things that worked beautifully, it more than made up for it.

The one thing I expected to see, but didn't, was garbage mattes around the ships in the DS battle. I've never seen Puggo but I have to assume they're present there. Was it the Grindhouse processing that maybe made those less visible or something?

Great work!
Ron

ron2112 said:
The one thing I expected to see, but didn't, was garbage mattes around the ships in the DS battle. I've never seen Puggo but I have to assume they're present there. Was it the Grindhouse processing that maybe made those less visible or something?

Great work!
Ron

Thank you! :smile:
Well, there are matte lines visible, but yes, they surely are more visible on clean version of the movie where they should be jarring.
Here they are blend in the "bad picture" style.
One thing though: there was no "Grindhouse processing" on the picture. The only thing I did on the Puggo grande's picture is to zoom it and crop it a bit to restore a 2:35:1 aspect ratio.
The "Grindhouse" style of the picture IS the Puggo grande. It is a preservation work of a 16mm print of the movie.

yeah, IMHO, Puggo's source REALLY helped with that feel. i'm glad that was available for you TMBTM :)

TMBTM said:
One thing though: there was no "Grindhouse processing" on the picture. The only thing I did on the Puggo grande's picture is to zoom it and crop it a bit to restore a 2:35:1 aspect ratio.
The "Grindhouse" style of the picture IS the Puggo grande. It is a preservation work of a 16mm print of the movie.
Wow, I didn't realize that. I knew the Puggo was a 16mm restoration, but never having seen it I had no idea it was in such rough shape. I assumed you did that intentionally! Well now I don't like it nearly as much.

Kidding!!! :lol:

So that long section that's in black-and-white (can't remember what part of the film that is off the top of my head)... is it that way on the Puggo, or is that a different source? My apologies if this is answered elsewhere -- if I just need to read the thread, feel free to scold me. But I'd love to read a comprehensive list of changes and sources if one exists.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom