• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit - The Precious edition

I like motifs in movies. Its weird for this to be the music for their first fight, yet the Nazgul refrain never repeats in the other two films.

You’re totally right on that one. The theme should’ve been reused and be a constant for all Azog/Thorin fights in the 3 films, if PJ chose this as their “fight song”.

Its definitely a nitpick, and @GarStazi just brought to my attention that the Nazgul theme has played before during moments not involving the Wraiths, which I completely forgot about.
But it feels SO much like a temp track that its just distracting to me. I like motifs in movies. Its weird for this to be the music for their first fight, yet the Nazgul refrain never repeats in the other two films.

BTW how did you discover the original music for the scene? I wonder what the story is behind its replacement.

I don't recall who told me. I thought it was you but apparently not haha! Maybe I had simply googled it.

I did come across this video, so maybe I simply Googled it. Mind you, I think the timing is a bit off in the video above. There isn't really a story here. there is a unique bit of music on the CD during the compilation of the entire tree scene.. yet there is no Nazgul theme to be heard. This prompted people to believe it was the actual music for the scene, and as we can see it is haha

Finished adding dutch subtitles to the edits. For non-Dutch speakers it's not ideal, but not entirely useless: you can use the timestamps in the sub files to create your own language subtitles if you desire subtitles. If anyone decides to make them, I will add them to the edit folder.

Finished adding dutch subtitles to the edits. For non-Dutch speakers it's not ideal, but not entirely useless: you can use the timestamps in the sub files to create your own language subtitles if you desire subtitles. If anyone decides to make them, I will add them to the edit folder.

It’s good to see some love for subtitles (y)
I don’t use them myself, but they are useful sometimes (i.e. when watching a fanedit with someone who prefers subtitles).

Saw part 1 with a friend of mine who has refused to watch the originals since seeing them in the cinema.

He called the film 'an actually great film' and suggested I actually add some stuff back for better pacing to his own shock lol. He said he was wanting for more in two scenes:

The troll encounter and the goblin encounter. I've revised both scenes to add about a minute of extra footage for each, so that they can breath more.

Saw part 1 with a friend of mine who has refused to watch the originals since seeing them in the cinema.

He called the film 'an actually great film' and suggested I actually add some stuff back for better pacing to his own shock lol. He said he was wanting for more in two scenes:

The troll encounter and the goblin encounter. I've revised both scenes to add about a minute of extra footage for each, so that they can breath more.
Cant wait to hear his reactions to parts 2 and 3.
Those are mega improved films

@GarStazi @veteran004 Thanks for catching a few small things for part 1. Now please stop noticing things so I can enjoy my peace and quiet. :D

Just kidding ofcourse, I'm glad you spot these things!

So people who downloaded this will hate me, but I was completely able to remove the fake 'shine' the battle of the five armies has. It now legitimately looks good, and makes every orc/war/background look FAR more realistic.

no-grade.png

grade.png

It's crazy how much detail is actually in the image, just lost in the excessive grade.

grade1.png
no-grade-1.png

Last edited:
So people who downloaded this will hate me, but I was completely able to remove the fake 'shine' the battle of the five armies has. It now legitimately looks good, and makes every orc/war/background look FAR more realistic.
Looks great. No shame in updates, we’re all trying to release the best quality—hard to expect perfect deadlines from fan hobbyists.

How were you able to do that?

How were you able to do that?
By grading it. Turns out it was never 'Bad VFX' but simply a 'professional' colorgrader setting highlights to 100% in the editor. By turning it down and increasing whites I was able to make it look a lot better.

By grading it. Turns out it was never 'Bad VFX' but simply a 'professional' colorgrader setting highlights to 100% in the editor. By turning it down and increasing whites I was able to make it look a lot better.
Hmmmmmm

I may play around with this eventually

Hmmmmmm

I may play around with this eventually
It will infuriate you once you see it was a bad colorgrade all along. I can't imagine having worked on the VFX and armies only to have someone else completely hide all my hard work behind 100% gloss mode. :p

Not to say there isn't some wonky CGI in there, everything with Bolg talking looks crap lol.

Last edited:
This is a terrific example of how reducing the highlights a TON will suddenly show you a ton of detail unseen before. The highlight on Thranduils chest armor looks a whole lot better. This is how I realised it was a grade problem. If it was a VFX problem, only the CGI characters should have glossy armor. Fixing the chest armor basically also fixed the sunsets, CGI shots and everything lol. Add a little grain and suddenly it looks.. pretty alright.

This is a terrific example of how reducing the highlights a TON will suddenly show you a ton of detail unseen before. The highlight on Thranduils chest armor looks a whole lot better. This is how I realised it was a grade problem. If it was a VFX problem, only the CGI characters should have glossy armor. Fixing the chest armor basically also fixed the sunsets, CGI shots and everything lol. Add a little grain and suddenly it looks.. pretty alright.

Visually, this actually looks closer to the LotR trilogy now 🔥

I generally like the grade/contrast in the Hobbit part 1 and 2, but the Azog reveal has a bit of the sheen of the third film. What do we think of the regrade (left) vs the original grade (right)?

azog1.png

I generally like the grade/contrast in the Hobbit part 1 and 2, but the Azog reveal has a bit of the sheen of the third film. What do we think of the regrade (left) vs the original grade (right)?
Left side, no doubt for me, but I'm curious to see if anyone has a different opinion

Back
Top Bottom