• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit - The Precious edition

I agree.
Its a noble effort trying to give the films a consistent tone, and its refreshing to see a different edit where somebodies actually making it more lighthearted, not less.

But if you want to change the jarring tone of BOTFA then that films probably only going to be about an hour long.

You'd be surprised how much I left in without messing up the tone.

So I'm going to go for the M4 approach and keep the eagles ( boooo! ) while keeping our Azog. However I wanted to make his presence felt, so the orc now tells his Wargs to leave his head intact because of the prize on it

This way we're reminded of Azog, and make it more likely that he is in fact alive ( but its not certain)

Scratch that. I realise that by removing azog from every other scene that his reveal at the end is actually dramatic. The original film made the terrible decision to show the audience Azog is alive at the start of the film basically several times.

By removing him from the entire film except for the ending his reveal actually works and adds some much needed characterisation to Bilbo and Thorins bonding.

The main problem I have now is the Bard sequence. I kind of don't want to use the black arrow, but I also want to use Smaug destroying the tower and his monologue. Plus, it's obviously a black arrow that gets fired..

Is it distracting that somehow Bard pulls a black arrow out of his arse? He obviously hasn't been carrying it as he is jumping the rooftops lol.

Scratch that. I realise that by removing azog from every other scene that his reveal at the end is actually dramatic. The original film made the terrible decision to show the audience Azog is alive at the start of the film basically several times.

By removing him from the entire film except for the ending his reveal actually works and adds some much needed characterisation to Bilbo and Thorins bonding.

The main problem I have now is the Bard sequence. I kind of don't want to use the black arrow, but I also want to use Smaug destroying the tower and his monologue. Plus, it's obviously a black arrow that gets fired..

Is it distracting that somehow Bard pulls a black arrow out of his arse? He obviously hasn't been carrying it as he is jumping the rooftops lol.
Just my two cents, but the black arrow never bothered me. The only detail that ruins it is I think the detail that only a black arrow shot by a windlance can break a dragon’s hide (which sets up something that never gets resolved), but that detail can easily be removed.

The alternative, namely removing the black arrow plotline entirely, personally makes the confrontation against Smaug super anti-climactic (especially if you move the start of BotFA to the end of DoS if you’re doing a 3-movie edit). Yeah the scene with Bard’s son is melodramatic and arguably cheesy but I think it’s also touching and thematically resonant. But a lot of people are really bothered by that scene and the whole plotline so I have no idea.

I’ll say go with your gut—it’s your own personal edit after all.

Just my two cents, but the black arrow never bothered me. The only detail that ruins it is I think the detail that only a black arrow shot by a windlance can break a dragon’s hide (which sets up something that never gets resolved), but that detail can easily be removed.

The alternative, namely removing the black arrow plotline entirely, personally makes the confrontation against Smaug super anti-climactic (especially if you move the start of BotFA to the end of DoS if you’re doing a 3-movie edit). Yeah the scene with Bard’s son is melodramatic and arguably cheesy but I think it’s also touching and thematically resonant. But a lot of people are really bothered by that scene and the whole plotline so I have no idea.

I’ll say go with your gut—it’s your own personal edit after all.

My main beef is with the prison scene. I hate how he uses the mayor to escape prison. I might look into him not getting caught. I think I have a good idea. I 100% agree about the dragon being anticlimactic without the son.

Part 1 and 2 are practically done. Anyone masochistic enough to watch a first draft yet another hobbit edit and give notes?

Going for cinema, not book accuracy perse. There is just so much completely inaccurate that imo it creates a better experience if you try to simply remove offensive bits, and try to streamline the story telling.

Part 3 will probably take longer, since it's most problematic..

Trying a new ending for part 2. Any aspiring writers feel like they want to write narrative for the Necromancer finally revealing himself to Gandalf, desperate to reach his friends in time?

I always hated how Gandalf got his ass whooped by Azog, a mere orc. So I wanted to fix that, while still keeping some of Gandalfs side quest intact to increase the stakes.

It seems like there is a major flood of Hobbit edits all of the sudden. I wonder if a poll could be done just for favorite Hobbit edits. I can't wait to see this one finished. I loved your Lord of The Rings edits.

After hours of meddling I was able to finally seamlessly do the following:

- Kili dies to Bolg

- Thorin fights Azog and the orcs alone. Legolas does not help with his arrows

- Made Legolas tolerable in the final fight. He ONLY fights Bolg for a short time after spotting him when he finally arrives at the dwarfs location and kills Bolg without rediculous antics! In fact, he wins the fight because Thorin throws the orc. Bolg gets buried alive by rubble and dies.

- Legolas throws the sword at the orc about to kill Thorin, so there is 100% continuity here visually.

Last edited:
Episode 1

First of all credit where credit is due:

Some of these cuts were hugely inspired by M4 and Wraith. These are not the same cuts persé, but I watched both of these edits for a good starting point to see what's possible. I'm standing on the shoulders of giants, as they say.

Added a nice film grain layer, which does not affect highlights as proper film grain should.

This is both a prequel AND a sequel to LotR. Imo it works as both. In the sense that you can watch it before, or after the LOTR trilogy. I prefer to watch it after the trilogy myself, but that's just me.

Even more credit will go to Chipbayless, who went really in depth in feedback and previews and came up with extremely good ideas which were a PAIN in the ass to realise.

Created a completely unique opening, with narration. Very story-telling like.

Removed Ragadast from part 1, but kept a small glimpse as Gandalf mentions him.

Removed every early appearance from Azog before his reveal. It makes no sense to SHOW him, when the dwarves think he is dead. Way to ruin your own story, P.J.

Now I hear you cry: Why not remove him entirely? Simple. We, the audience need a nemesis. And, because I believe I can completely salvage Azog as a villain by
removing most of his ugly CGI appearances. The eagles confrontation has him looking a lot better than every other scene in the film.

Also, Bilbo and Thorin reconciling is desperately needed for some emotional pay-off.

Completely re-edited the Goblin King introduction. He is now more ruthless, and doesn't sing a song. He also doesn't interrogate the dwarves, but simply wants to torture
them for his amusement.

He mentions Azog, but does not send word for the pale Orc. This to keep the mystery of wether he is taunting Thorin or not.

Completely re-edited the Troll encounter to keep some light hearted humor, but improve pacing and remove some of the annoying screams from the high pitched troll.

Removed Ragast, but kept the Warg attack. How? Just watch the edit and find out.

Regraded the Azog attacks scene to ever so slightly make the transition from day to night a bit slower. It's still a bit fast, but definitely not as distracting.

The white council is now far more mysterious and less in your face.

Some slight tweaks here and there for pacing/dialogue improvements. Honestly I didn't write them all down, and it's too much to recall from the top of my head.

Episode 2

Added a nice film grain layer, which does not affect highlights as proper film grain should.

Completely unique opening, with narration. This cuts to the title screen in an utterly dramatic fashion.

Removed all early viewings of the bear. We now hear Bilbo saw a bear, and can experience the same disbelieve the dwarfs have. We don't need to see it, far better
to keep the mystery. A rare example of: tell, don't show.

Removed all heavy handed exposition done by Beorn. We don't need to have him and his family killed by Azog. The universe becomes smaller if everyone knows that pale orc.

Cut the flash to the eye when gandalf sees the painting of an eye. Keep the mystery.

Kept everything that works about the battle with the barrels, and cut everything that is too expositiony. No Bolg here, just an orc attack where Fili get's shot in the leg.

Cut Tauriel as much as necessary but not completely. She is a guard, nothing more. Book accuracy is not the goal, creating lean cuts is the goal.

Kept the orc interrogation, but removed all the cringe/heavy exposition. KEEP THE MYSTERY. This orc attack prompts legolas to go on his own investigation in the third film.

Cut the cringe of bard entering lake town, but kept the toilet dwarfs. He's a smuggler, ofcourse he smuggles them in his house. Plus, it's comedy gold. Good comedy often
get's cut in the search for book accuracy, which I disagree with.

Kept Bard's children, but cut Tauriel and Legolas completely here.

Kept some of the dwarfs missing the boat. This is good added tension, and helps some of the dwarfs dislike Thorin's decision to NOT help the laketowners in the third film.
There saw their suffering first-hand. Good change, Peter Jackson.

Removed Alfrid cringe moments. This was rather easy. Also removed some out-of-place looking extra's. This was tricky, but worth it to create a more consistent looking
Middle Earth.

I kept the tapestry scene for ONE reason and ONE reason only: He sounds exactly like Patches from Dark Souls lmao. The cross-over we never asked for.

Removed Bilbo backing up the Dwarfs. There is no reason for him to somehow be a valid voice, this is the Master's decision only.

Removed EVERYTHING regarding the Dol Guldor scenes with Bilbo's father. Instead, we get something.. that.. you guessed it.. KEEPS THE MYSTERY!

Cut around everything to keep Bard out of jail, keep as much Dragon scenes as possible, and have the dragon attack laketown afterwards.

The Dragon attacks laketown, the dwarfs and the kids try to escape. The rest continues as in the original. NO TAURIEL OR LEGOLAS here. I believe this is the only edit that
removes them, but keeps the children in this. This allows for a climactic version with the boy being used as a ballista (Bard has a son in the book as well, so yay!)

Created a completely unique, new ending. I will not spoil anything, but it tells us what we need to know about the war in part three and raises the stakes dramatically! It's
an ending that will be hopefully adored by people who have seen the LotR and those who haven't.

Some micro-edits I can't recall.

Part 3

New opening, with narration. This cuts to the title screen in dramatic fashion. This opening helps the audience buy Thorin's turn to bad. Thorin is already in the mountain for days
the moment the movie starts.

Cut a lot here. Alfrid is less cringe and actually has an arc.

The war is toned down slightly, but not completely.

Removed Alfrid being a coward. He is now heroic and not seen again.

With some clever dialogue manipulation we now see Legolas investigate Gundabad after the orcs attacked the elves last film. This sets up Bolg as a nameless Orc captain.

Heavily cut around the war to make more sense, and remove the overly comical and overly gruesome parts of it.

Removed a lot of Azogs commands, and instead we let the visuals do the talking. Horn blows, flags wave, orcs attack. That's all we need to know.

Tons of micro-cuts.

Completely re-edited the ravenhill sequence. Legolas goes against his father's will and goes to Thorin anyway, Tauriel is not involved here. No dialogue,
I let their gaze do the talking.

Bolg kills Fili, Legolas kills Bolg and throws Orcrest to Thorin. Bilbo get's knocked out and we get a dream sequence that adds to the emotional impact of Thorin's death.

We completely cut the actual fight between Azog and Thorin, instead we hear their fight in the distance during the dream sequence.

Captain obvious: Tauriel does not mourn the dwarf

Some micro cuts I cannot all name here were made.

After checking Part 1 and Part 2, I can say these are turning into very interesting edits. :cool:

And they're different that the 4 fanedits of The Hobbit I've watched before, great job @DonkeyKonga

I will not spoil anything, but I can attest that the ending of movie 2 really sets these edits apart.
The original second film is actually my favorite of the trilogy, but the abrupt ending tainted the whole film for me.

DonkeyKonga in this precious edition completely repairs the broken ending and then some. Its really remarkable.

Back
Top Bottom