• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit - The Precious edition

After checking Part 1 and Part 2, I can say these are turning into very interesting edits. :cool:

And they're different that the 4 fanedits of The Hobbit I've watched before, great job @DonkeyKonga

And three! ;)

Thanks for the feedback regarding part 1 and 2. It's so easy to miss a thing in this edits, because almost every scene has a cut haha!

Thanks for the feedback regarding part 1 and 2. It's so easy to miss a thing in this edits, because almost every scene has a cut haha!

Thank you for the many hours of work.
I will say it again here: I look at this trilogy in a different way now, after you’ve removed the cringiness and the many weird shenanigans.

Thanks mods for posting these on the ifdb!

Thanks again @chipbayless for the great input and the awesome posters!

And thank you @GarStazi for watching parts of the edit over and over to help me Iron out the kinks!

Absolutely legends!

[link removed by mod]

Because I don't quite want to abandon the edit yet, I decided to see if I could near perfectly replace the Nazgul theme for Azog and Thorin's OWN theme for Unexpected Journey and I think I found the perfect transition between the two.

I just need to know how to create.. a bass track for the subwoofer channel.. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I don't quite want to abandon the edit yet, I decided to see if I could near perfectly replace the Nazgul theme for Azog and Thorin's OWN theme for Unexpected Journey and I think I found the perfect transition between the two.

I just need to know how to create.. a bass track for the subwoofer channel.. Any suggestions on how to do that?
Oh thats excellent!
If I were you I would just use the subwoofer bass from the original scene, the Nazgul theme. It should play perfectly imperceptible, as the two songs have near identical progression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thats excellent!
If I were you I would just use the subwoofer bass from the original scene, the Nazgul theme. It should play perfectly imperceptible, as the two songs have near identical progression.
Glad you like it! I believe it was you who came with the original suggestion a while back. Not sure how well the SFX can be seperated yet, but I'll at least give it a shot!

I don't have a proper 5.1 setup. Anyone want to check how the normal subwoofer track fits under the Thorin/Azog theme song?

I don't have a proper 5.1 setup. Anyone want to check how the normal subwoofer track fits under the Thorin/Azog theme song?
If you have a good video editor there should be a sound visualizer for each of the 5 channels. If theres no abrupt change in the look of the sound signals for each channel before, during, and after the scene then you should be good.

Heres how you can isolate the sound effects, so that they play with the music.

1. To get the sound effects by themselves, first convert the original Thorin vs Azog fight into an FLAC or WAV audio format.
2. Enter this new WAV or FLAC clip onto the audio software Audacity (popular, free and open source. Super easy to use)
This will show each individual sound channel.
3. Delete every sound channel except one.
4. Save the new file (one sound channel) as an mp3.
5. Now, put that sound channel into the Ultimate Vocal remover program (Super easy to use, and really popular on the forums. Also open source so entirely safe for your computer)
6. Once youve got the new mp3 containing one sound channel onto the Ultimate Vocal Remover program, click isolate vocals, and adjust the intensity to your liking. This program works like magic. Now channel one has no music. But you need the other channels to have no music as well, so repeat the process starting with step 2. Only this time isolate a different channel, then follow the same steps again until all channels have been isolated with music removed. This should give you 4 or 5 new files............
7. Now, open up the scene of Azog and Thorin fighting, delete the original sound, and instead put all 5 of these new files. Play them all at the same time.
8. Add your new music with these files. Now all 5 channels have music removed from them, and you have new music playing on top of them. This means you should have 6 total sound files playing over the scene.

If anything about my instructions was confusing just pm me

Last edited:

Finished it up. A proper link this time for those who are curious to the music actually written for the confrontation originally. I kept the original woofer track, the idea is it fits well enough for those with proper sound setups. (the beats in the songs are very similar)

Last edited:
Finished it up. A proper link this time for those who are curious to the music actually written for the confrontation originally. I kept the original woofer track, the idea is it fits well enough for those with proper sound setups. (the beats in the songs are very similar)
A thought about Thorin’s plan here.

A charge only works when your total mass (individual or of an army group) is a lot higher than the mass (individual or of an army group) of your opponent. That’s why charging with horses (both heavy and fast) usually works, even though it may fail when the opponent has “mass multiplier” strategies, like shield walls or very tight battle formations (this is why, historically, generals wouldn’t try to charge enemy formations head-on, but side or rear-charges).

So, in this scene, not only is Thorin a lot lighter than Azog, but Azog also has the higher ground while sitting on top of a Warg. Just how would your charge work, Thorin?

A thought about Thorin’s plan here.

A charge only works when your total mass (individual or of an army group) is a lot higher than the mass (individual or of an army group) of your opponent. That’s why charging with horses (both heavy and fast) usually works, even though it may fail when the opponent has “mass multiplier” strategies, like shield walls or very tight battle formations (this is why, historically, generals wouldn’t try to charge enemy formations head-on, but side or rear-charges).

So, in this scene, not only is Thorin a lot lighter than Azog, but Azog also has the higher ground while sitting on top of a Warg. Just how would your charge work, Thorin?

I feel like its purposefully set up to fail by PJ. A combination of bravery, arrogance and rage makes him mistake the situation.

What do you think about the theme vs the original nazgul counterpart?
Honestly, from all the errors and fumbles of the Hobbit trilogy, the Nazgûl theme is far from the worst, imo. And the song is actually epic.
Also, the song was used in the original trilogy in a few places, where Nazgûl were not present, like in the War of the Last Alliance scene.

I’ve always thought of it as maybe not a “
Nazgûl” theme but an epic war/battle theme.

But to some people, the song being placed on Thorin’s scene feels out of place, so I guess it’s nice to have options, thanks to your extensive audio edit.

Honestly, from all the errors and fumbles of the Hobbit trilogy, the Nazgûl theme is far from the worst, imo. And the song is actually epic.
Also, the song was used in the original trilogy in a few places, where Nazgûl were not present, like in the War of the Last Alliance scene.

I’ve always thought of it as maybe not a “Nazgûl” theme but an epic war/battle theme.

But to some people, the song being placed on Thorin’s scene feels out of place, so I guess it’s nice to have options, thanks to your extensive audio edit.
Oh I agree, it's a minor nitpick. But since it's the only time the song is used in the trilogy, I do think it feels more like nostalgia bait than an actual creative choice. Even more so considering there was different music already written for the scene.

Oh I agree, it's a minor nitpick. But since it's the only time the song is used in the trilogy, I do think it feels more like nostalgia bait than an actual creative choice. Even more so considering there was different music already written for the scene.
I agree, PJ was all in for as much nostalgia bait as he could add to The Hobbit :rolleyes:

Its definitely a nitpick, and @GarStazi just brought to my attention that the Nazgul theme has played before during moments not involving the Wraiths, which I completely forgot about.
But it feels SO much like a temp track that its just distracting to me. I like motifs in movies. Its weird for this to be the music for their first fight, yet the Nazgul refrain never repeats in the other two films.

BTW how did you discover the original music for the scene? I wonder what the story is behind its replacement.

Back
Top Bottom