• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Edits

Looks absolutely great. Any chance at getting a tiny bit of flicker before the flame swipe? :) Or perhaps a longer fade in. I think the thing my OCD brain is locking into is I am hearing dynamic sound, without any onscreen changes. (and yes, at this point, I am seriously nitpicking so feel free to tune me out :p )

Looks absolutely great. Any chance at getting a tiny bit of flicker before the flame swipe? :) Or perhaps a longer fade in. I think the thing my OCD brain is locking into is I am hearing dynamic sound, without any onscreen changes.
Say no more boss.

(and yes, at this point, I am seriously nitpicking so feel free to tune me out :p )
Your opinion is highly valued here, I will do no such thing!

Looks absolutely great. Any chance at getting a tiny bit of flicker before the flame swipe? :) Or perhaps a longer fade in. I think the thing my OCD brain is locking into is I am hearing dynamic sound, without any onscreen changes. (and yes, at this point, I am seriously nitpicking so feel free to tune me out :p )
I agree. Something seemed off there but I couldn't place it until you pointed it out. How could he do that logo better to eliminate the overlapping? It has to be large enough to read it easily.

I think no fireworks is definitely the way to go, I'd also try doing a test without the background texture just to see what it's like - although I get that it matches your case art which is always cool! The whole fire theme is what makes it cool IMO, and how it matches with the match. I wonder if you could use bits of the firework scene as flashbacks when Gandalf/Bilbo are talking in Bag End, probably would be tricky.

Yes we can belly ache "fair use", "transformational", "educational" and "comment" and the like, but let us all accept one thing...we feed off THE CREATORS and feeding off eachother is no different...in fact, it's the ultimate tribute we can and should all wish for (barring a Spicediver like official release) that others use "our" ideas.
I completely agree with all your points Wraith. We're all grateful for the original films and none of us get to be "owners," what happened here didn't have to do with me trying to stop collaboration - in fact I have many VFX which I am gladly sharing here, including the one seen in Stromboli's Smaug clip. What happened had to do with me wanting to make sure the original editor(s) received recognition, which I think is important when feeding off of each other's work and complimenting it, even though it's not required as none of us own the material; unfortunately, it turned out to largely be a misunderstanding, I hadn't seen L8wrtr's version either until after my comment.

At the end of the day, I support what Stromboli is creating, if you look at this thread you can see that I came in here with a positive attitude willing to share my edits a few weeks ago. DMs are open if anyone has further questions/needs help/wants to collaborate, I apologize for the misunderstandings here.

@ArtisDead isn't ready to give up on the fireworks quite yet so I whipped this up, it's rough, ignore my title overlapping, used an old autosave and exported before I realized. I'll smooth it out if y'all think it's worth it, otherwise I'm also on board with just getting rid of the fireworks sequence. I like it, but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

@ArtisDead isn't ready to give up on the fireworks quite yet so I whipped this up, it's rough, ignore my title overlapping, used an old autosave and exported before I realized. I'll smooth it out if y'all think it's worth it, otherwise I'm also on board with just getting rid of the fireworks sequence. I like it, but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

I certainly like this except the ending. Smooth it out let's see what it looks like. Also. Try the black background for your logo instead of the leather. That's actually quite good. Fix your credit and try it with the black background?

Last edited:
You kept everything but the dragon? WTF? Dude? Other than that horrible oversight, it looks awesome!

Wow! So subtle that I missed him on the first go. Dude other than that one frame, that is awesome! That may be the best at least one of the best intro sequences I've ever seen.
Suggest fading out the main caption a tad later, just before the ring fades, or fade out both together...that gap between the two fading is a tad long IMHO...Looking great...

Suggest fading out the main caption a tad later, just before the ring fades, or fade out both together...that gap between the two fading is a tad long IMHO...Looking great...
I tried to sync the fade-outs with the music, it seemed abrupt fading them out closer together, but let me try it and see how you feel then!

Wow! Now that's a f$@king trailer done right! A lot a magic must have gone into that. Seriously, one of the best fanedit trailers I've seen. Absolutely love that you kept the dragon. The faneditor title cards for all of that you pay homage to in your edit look great! Thanks for the shout out at the end! That's total class, brother! You continue to impress.

Back
Top Bottom