• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Edits

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm watching this edit right now. I like the five episode format. I think the titles in the successive episodes don't quite match the first. I also think a title card could be inserted in place of the One that says "The Hobbit" in a different color each time. There are a few other things but I will pm those. So far, the editing seems seamless with no hard cuts in video or audio and everything seems to have a smooth narrative flow. I think people need to take a look at this because it's just different enough to separate it from the rest while borrowing from them quite liberally. 😆

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! I used to always pretend Thorin just cut his face on the tree lol - but no more! Although, you'll have to make the scene start at him looking at the mountain so the whole first half has to be cut with the hug moment if you do wish to use the available VFX shots.
Once again...are these edits finished for now?

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Once again...are these edits finished for now?
Yep my edit is 100% finished and what I meant in that message was in regards to the custom made VFX for my edit - if he's using them he'll have to make them fit into his (For example, I mean that if Stromboli kept the full Carrock scene, he only has enough VFX shots of Thorin for half the scene, because in my edit I only kept half the scene). As for his, can't speak for him, but I believe he said he's finished but still testing things so there's a possibility of another update.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep my edit is 100% finished and what I meant in that message was in regards to the custom made VFX for my edit - if he's using them he'll have to make them fit into his (For example, I mean that if Stromboli kept the full Carrock scene, he only has enough VFX shots of Thorin for half the scene, because in my edit I only kept half the scene). As for his, can't speak for him, but I believe he said he's finished but still testing things so there's a possibility of another update.
I know yours is. I have had it for quite some time. I could never figure out why it wasn't in our database.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know yours is. I have had it for quite some time. I could never figure out why it wasn't in our database.
Ah, sorry for the confusion, my last update for it was this summer so yeah I'm excited for if it gets approved. Sorry @Stromboli for taking over the thread lol, we can get back on topic.

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm watching this edit right now. I like the five episode format. I think the titles in the successive episodes don't quite match the first. I also think a title card could be inserted in place of the One that says "The Hobbit" in a different color each time. There are a few other things but I will pm those. So far, the editing seems seamless with no hard cuts in video or audio and everything seems to have a smooth narrative flow. I think people need to take a look at this because it's just different enough to separate it from the rest while borrowing from them quite liberall
Thanks for the kind words brother!

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, sorry for the confusion, my last update for it was this summer so yeah I'm excited for if it gets approved. Sorry @Stromboli for taking over the thread lol, we can get back on topic.
No worries, friend. I see you're at a similar state in your process so I'm happy to share the spotlight lol

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just catching up on this thread and I just wanted to say I'm really thrilled you're using that little Legolas/sword moment! Coming up with that is literally one of my proudest fanediting moments! Such a simple thing, and such a "I wonder if...." moment. I actually did a fist pump when I realized it worked lol.

Looking forward to checking this out in the future. I honestly haven't seen the films since I edited them myself, so a fresh take on it would be quite welcome.

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking forward to checking this out in the future. I honestly haven't seen the films since I edited them myself, so a fresh take on it would be quite welcome.
Thanks man! I'd love to hear your input. Your cut was one of the first few I watched!

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Wraith I really liked the intro of yours; incorporating the beginning of the 2nd movie into a prologue that doesn't feel as bloated and redundant as the OG prologue. I'm bummed you cut out carrot-man though XD

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like that you like …

PJ cameos just took me out of it
In fact, though fun, I H A T E C A M E O S by filmmakers, even Hitch!

Like Spence, I also have not watched any hobbits since I did mine, but im now delving back.
I Think this potpourri approach is great.

Last edited:

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like that you like …

Like Spence, I also have not watched any hobbits since I did mine, but im now delving back.
Thank you! Let me know if there's anything you think I could do/add to improve it!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like that you like …

M.Night is notorious for cameos...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
….and they are all gone from Split Unbreakable Glass…..which is annoying coz I could have done with the store scene.

back to this

great project. Can’t wait to see what came from where….
Personally, apart from the dwarves lament song…” far away….”….hate all the others. Just coz it’s in the source does not mean it’s a good idea to film them….

Last edited:

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually really like Blunt the Knives, too! But I'm with you on the Goblin Town song and mostly the one in Rivendell. It's fun, considered it heavily (Bofur dancing on the One Ring's pedestal from the Fellowship was a nice touch) but decided it had to go, in the end.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually really like Blunt the Knives, too! But I'm with you on the Goblin Town song and mostly the one in Rivendell. It's fun, considered it heavily (Bofur dancing on the One Ring's pedestal from the Fellowship was a nice touch) but decided it had to go, in the end.
Totally agree with this decision. It's fun in other places harder to do without.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally catching up on this thread and before I comment on anything, @spence, yours was one of only two edits I allowed myself to watch prior to making mine I wanted as little influence as possible, but that said, my edit doesn't work without some of your tricks, the only one I remember specifically after all these years is Legolas' throwing the sword, absolutely inspired. I'm sure there are more specific ones, but that is the one that really stands out; My man.

In fact, as I sort of faded away from the site after releasing it, I've never seen any other edits either, but I will finally break with that and probably start with this one once it's released. I'm honored that my edit is among those who's work was folded into yours and appreciate the acknowledgement.

The is a trilogy that is rather unique in that so much of it is, on it's own, spectacular yet the sum is less than its individual parts. Whereas non-OT Star Wars edits seek to 'make the most of what you have' Hobbit edits seek to show just how good the foundation film and performances are if you strip away the over-indulgences. The wonderful result is that similar to Star Wars the fanediting community can re-formulate the films into a dizzying array of variations and creative approaches, but the resulting projects get to bubble over with spectacular performances and writing.

Good luck with this!

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm honored that my edit is among those who's work was folded into yours and appreciate the acknowledgement.
Of course! Your Smaug-death was my favorite of all I've seen, couldn't have done it without you! I also had mixed feelings about the goblin tunnels, I liked how Maple Films did it, but i went back to your edit quite a while later just to see, and decided to go with yours on that, too! It's an honor, good sir!

Top Bottom