• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Godfather Chronological Edit: FULL HD Rebuild - MAX LENGTH 10h 5min

Just found this site and The work you guys are doing is amazing. I have the original TV version of the first 2 films interlaced, so really looking forward to seeing this version. Where would I be able to locate it ?

Hello, Sir. I read your posts about the original version of “The Godfather”, and i am very interested to watch that amazing version. Please, could you tell me, how can i watch this version?

Hello, Sir. I read your posts about the original version of “The Godfather”, and i am very interested to watch that amazing version. Please, could you tell me, how can i watch this version?
You’d have to send a private message to Wraith :)

Click on his name and click “start conversation”

I was intending on watching The Godfather films for the 1st time with friends this weekend on their home cinema projector room and was intending to just watch the bluray versions, but these preservation edits seem like an offer I can't refuse. As I'm new to Godfather and didn't want to read into spoilers too much can someone help me understand the differences with what seems to be the two main fanedits and how they differ to the Blurays, The Godfather extended edits & The Magnum Opus edits. 🤔

Which is the goto for a first viewing with people?

Last edited:
In time, these edits may become your go to versions however, in order to experience what others have experienced, I would suggest watching the theatrical versions from the blurays first.

This will allow you to appreciate the originals for what they are, and then when you come to watch the expanded versions, either chronologically or expanded theatrical structure, you’ll be able to appreciate them even more.

if you watch the preservations I’ve created first, then when you come to the theatrical versions you will feel that they are diminished since it will significantly shorter.

The first godfather is a linear film, godfather Part two is a nonlinear film. No spoilers.

The versions I have created are two viewing blocks.

The first block is a chronological reconstruction with all deleted scenes running 10 hours and five minutes.

Second viewing block preserves theatrical structure, but aalso includes all of the deleted scenes. Run time 10 hours and five minutes.

I hope that helps your deliberation, and should you choose to watch the fan edits first, then I would suggest watching either of the two viewing blocks, but as I said, I think you should watch of theatrical versions first.

Hope that helps.

I was intending on watching The Godfather films for the 1st time with friends this weekend on their home cinema projector room and was intending to just watch the bluray versions, but these preservation edits seem like an offer I can't refuse. As I'm new to Godfather and didn't want to read into spoilers too much can someone help me understand the differences with what seems to be the two main fanedits and how they differ to the Blurays, The Godfather extended edits & The Magnum Opus edits. 🤔

Which is the goto for a first viewing with people?
The main difference is structure, the saga containing roughly 4 chunks of story across different time periods. In chronological order, using the original titles, these are roughly:

1900s-1920s (GF Part II)
1945-1955 (GF)
Late 1950s (GF Part II)
Late 1970s (GF Part III)

As you can see, The Godfather Part II takes place across two timelines, with the story of the rise of the young Vito Corleone presented as flashbacks within that of his son as the head of the family.

Wraith's extended editions preserve this structure of the films as you'd have them on Blu-rays (all three getting more scenes), whereas the Magnum Opus recuts it into two volumes with everything presented chronologically as shown above (split halfway down the list). The total content is pretty much the same as far as I can remember with the GF and GF Part III (La Fine) sections being identical, the former now wrapped within the two timelines from GF Part II.

I think I prefer the extended editions, as I find the original film to be the best introduction to the film's world and enjoy the flashback structure, so would recommend it thus.

if you watch the preservations I’ve created first, then when you come to the theatrical versions you will feel that they are diminished since it will significantly shorter.
That's a very good point, watching the shorter versions initially means that you can experience watching them for the first time again with the longer ones.

The only really narratively significant difference between the chronological and non-chronological structures is one particular scene, which I shan’t detail due to spoilers, is relocated in the theatrical structure and has some of the dialogue altered in order to facilitate its placement within The Godfather Part II. That scene originally had slightly different dialogue and occurred at a different point during the Godfather part two ; in crafting a non-chronological version it was deemed dramatically more impactful to place it it’s original location …most people are familiar with it in its altered form.

Most viewers who have watched both versions will know the scene and I would ask the people not refer to it directly since it is a major spoiler event given the events that take place within the moment.

Thanks guys for clearing the differences up between the two fanedits.

As much as I agree you should always watch a theatrical first before its edits theres a few reasons I'm considering probably watching extended editions first in this case as some of my friends who will be watching are already very familiar with the theatrical Godfathers so those new to the films and those not will get something, also there bloody long so want to get it right 1st time as I guess there won't be another Godfather movie marathon home cinema get togther again any time soon for me 😅.

Another reason watching your preservation edits 1st over the Blurays wasn't so much for the extended scenes but from what I understand the theatrical Blurays have subtitle translation issues (with some scenes having no english subs at all). Am I right in thinking your edits fix the subs along with other small fixes to the films presentation?

As much as I love this project, GF 1 and 2 are pretty close to perfect in their theatrical releases. I know some prefer the chronological presentation Wraith offers, but that is not me. Having the extra material so nicely preserved is wonderful for fans of the films, but it doesn’t, in my opinion, make it better. It’s just more.

Which reminds me I have to finish watching this so I can give my review. Thanks for being patient, Wraith.

SInce not everyone has time to read through these dense pages of information...here is a quick summary to the most commonly asked Q i get on DMs/PMs:

There are TWO VIEWING BLOCKS: Each contains ALL the deleted materials with the only major differences being Credit rolls and Michael's Bedtime scene which is discussed in this thread in more detail.

EACH VIEWING BLOCK represents a full viewing experience.

MAGNUM OPUS FANEDITS (with intervals mid way)
4:39:36 DON VITO'S OPUS* v6.06
5:23:57 MICHALE'S OPUS** v8.04
TOTAL 10:03:33#

EXTENDED FANEDITS

G1X - 3:24:15 THE GODFATHER EXTENDED (WRAITH)
G2X - 3:51:30 THE GODFATHER PART II EXTENDED (WRAITH)
La Fine v1.08 - 2:51:55 THE GODFATHER: LA FINE
TOTAL 10:05:40#

THEATRICALS (for comparison)

2:57:09 THE GODFATHER
3:22:06 THE GODFATHER PART II
2:42:00 THE GODFATHER PART III Theatrical
TOTAL 9:01:15

*Don Vito's Opus contain ALL material from The Godfather Extended AND about 75 mins from Part II Extended.
** MIchaeel's OPus contains the remainder of Part II Extended amd Part 3 Extended (including La Fine)
# time difference due to the differing opening and closing captions.

Last edited:
Wraith, thank you not only for putting in the work to edit the movies, but also the amazingly detailed writeups about the many scenes and versions. It has been very informative. I wish Coppola et al would show as much care for these movies as we do.

To add to the above, I'd like to give some feedback while it is still fresh. I just got done watching the Extended Version of the theatrical version of Part I. It has been a wonderful viewing experience. As someone who normally watches The Epic, there were a handful of scenes I had only seen in isolation, uploaded to Youtube before. This has been the best version I have ever seen... But there is something that confused me about how and why you edited the final scene. As I've seen you tell posters in the past that we please should not spoil the contents for other readers... I wanted to ask if it would be okay to put my question into a hidden spoiler tag here or if you would prefer I ask it via DM?!

First thing's first, @Wraith. Your subtitles for the Italian and Sicilian dialogue are so much better than what they put in the Saga and Epic. Complimenti! Not all dialogue is translated, though and I'm not sure if that is intentional. That is not criticism by me at all, I just wanted to point it out. What I spotted is: At about 1hr 41m as Mike is being driven by Sollozzo and McCluskey to the restaurant. At around 2hr 2m as Caló walks up to Vitelli's bar. And consecutively some dialogue by him, Fabrizio, Michael and Vitelli.

In the same scene as Vitelli asks Fabrizio where Michael comes from, the subtitles say "He sounds american", minor typo there with the American not being capitalized. Once more something that is not really an issue at all.

There is only one problem I had. At around 3hr 18m the score cue 'Finale' begins to play in the final scene of Michael and Kay. It is completely fine during the prior dialogue and as the music starts. The glitched audio comes in the next minute, right where you made the edit I hinted at above. It lasts all the way to the end, moving through the aptly titled score cue 'End Credits' as the credits begin to roll, which is followed by the score cue 'Sicilian Pastorale' until those are finished rolling. The music sounds not distorted or overdriven or anything of the sort, but very lo-fi and like it is playing under water. When someone shared an upscaling of The Complete Epic 1901-1959 last year, fragments of Part II suffered from the same issue during louder music scenes of Anthony's communion party. Which immediately reminded me of it.

Last edited:
To add to the above, I'd like to give some feedback while it is still fresh. I just got done watching the Extended Version of the theatrical version of Part I. It has been a wonderful viewing experience. As someone who normally watches The Epic, there were a handful of scenes I had only seen in isolation, uploaded to Youtube before. This has been the best version I have ever seen... But there is something that confused me about how and why you edited the final scene. As I've seen you tell posters in the past that we please should not spoil the contents for other readers... I wanted to ask if it would be okay to put my question into a hidden spoiler tag here or if you would prefer I ask it via DM?!

First thing's first, @Wraith. Your subtitles for the Italian and Sicilian dialogue are so much better than what they put in the Saga and Epic. Complimenti! Not all dialogue is translated, though and I'm not sure if that is intentional. That is not criticism by me at all, I just wanted to point it out. What I spotted is: At about 1hr 41m as Mike is being driven by Sollozzo and McCluskey to the restaurant. At around 2hr 2m as Caló walks up to Vitelli's bar. And consecutively some dialogue by him, Fabrizio, Michael and Vitelli.

In the same scene as Vitelli asks Fabrizio where Michael comes from, the subtitles say "He sounds american", minor typo there with the American not being capitalized. Once more something that is not really an issue at all.

There is only one problem I had. At around 3hr 18m the score cue 'Finale' begins to play in the final scene of Michael and Kay. It is completely fine during the prior dialogue and as the music starts. The glitched audio comes in the next minute, right where you made the edit I hinted at above. It lasts all the way to the end, moving through the aptly titled score cue 'End Credits' as the credits begin to roll, which is followed by the score cue 'Sicilian Pastorale' until those are finished rolling. The music sounds not distorted or overdriven or anything of the sort, but very lo-fi and like it is playing under water. When someone shared an upscaling of The Complete Epic 1901-1959 last year, fragments of Part II suffered from the same issue during louder music scenes of Anthony's communion party. Which immediately reminded me of it.
I will need to check the project since this is likely a source issue since very little music was added ir altered…I shall check and report back.

If it’s the source, it may be herder to fix… if it was added or replaced, I should be able to fix.

Stay tuned.

Feel free to DM me on any Oither Qs

Cool, I'll shoot you a message in a moment.

I definitely think your edit is what messed with the audio. Even if you want to retain it, you should be able to just swap the audio in from most versions. If I recall correctly, the pre-2007/8 versions had a shorter credit roll because they extended it at the end for naming the crew involved in making the HD restoration. I don't have access to the 4K edition to see if they added more, but the music that plays from the final scene in the movie through the last moment of the credits is always the same as I have listed it above. The versions I proof watched this against are the HD DVD, Netflix EU stream, VHS Epic and Trilogy versions and the AI upscaled Complete Epic 1901-1959.

Cool, I'll shoot you a message in a moment.

I definitely think your edit is what messed with the audio. Even if you want to retain it, you should be able to just swap the audio in from most versions. If I recall correctly, the pre-2007/8 versions had a shorter credit roll because they extended it at the end for naming the crew involved in making the HD restoration. I don't have access to the 4K edition to see if they added more, but the music that plays from the final scene in the movie through the last moment of the credits is always the same as I have listed it above. The versions I proof watched this against are the HD DVD, Netflix EU stream, VHS Epic and Trilogy versions and the AI upscaled Complete Epic 1901-1959.
What's your source for the the "AI upscaled" Complete Epic 1901-1959?

I had a feeling you would! Let me know if you need any help with the audio.

What's your source for the the "AI upscaled" Complete Epic 1901-1959?

What Avid4D shared to the Reddit fanedit sub last year. It linked to AvidEntertainment. His upload has been removed since then, but the site's webplayer had an integrated download button. His source was the same 360p-ish version at 07:04:04 length that has been floating on illegal streaming sites wrongly titled as "The Godfather Saga". He brought it up to 2K, more or less. It's the version with the censored violence reinstated, many but not all deleted scenes restored and all the English TV overdubs for the flashback scenes in Part II.

Last edited:
Some may recall, further back in the thread, that some of the minor creative tweaks in this edit, were removed for the PURISTS RENDERS, which remain avalable .

Back
Top Bottom