• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Film Video Essay Thread

An aspiring faneditor shows her face and thought process regarding her fanedit of Attack of the Clones. Some really neat ideas with this one:

Worth watching just for the beautiful Robocop tone-contrast joke edit he does about 5.30 minutes in:

@'CathyFulcherBaker' recently released an essay about Venom that really made me look at the film differently!

^That is a great video; it reconfirmed my thoughts on that great scene and learned a bit more. Well though out and put together.

Well, this is pretty wild:

I just picked a video from this channel, basically at random.  Leon here is possibly my favorite guy on the YouTube.

^^ I remember his Incredibles/AynRand video being an interesting watch.

Interesting breakdown that not only focuses on the usual, almost boring reason why the movie is bad (the martha scene, not much BvS), but also on the set up and dumb pay offs.

Brilliant in-depth two-part look at Bay's style and career. I've now got a new respect for the guy (sorta). He makes awful films but you've got to admire the craft and dedication he obviously puts into making every shot as awful as possible :D . Well worth an hour of your time, if you can spare it.

TM2YC said:
Brilliant in-depth two-part look at Bay's style and career. I've now got a new respect for the guy (sorta). He makes awful films but you've got to admire the craft and dedication he obviously puts into making every shot as awful as possible :D . Well worth an hour of your time, if you can spare it.

Bay wants to make things that are "cool" and "dynamic". He has very specific ideas of what those two words mean and knows exactly how to execute his ideas onscreen. 

I hypothesize that whether you agree with his definition of those two words, and to what extent you agree (if at all), is directly related to whether you enjoy his films, and to what extent you enjoy them (if at all). 

I'd like to test the hypothesis, but whenever I bring it up in a crowd, it clears the room.

theryaney said:

I thought this might be a mere rehash of Filmmaker IQ's "The Changing Shape of Cinema: The History of Aspect Ratio", but that was actually quite informative and well-done.

HyperNormalisation (2016)
A nearly 3-hour video-essay from acclaimed BBC Documentarian Adam Curtis about the easy lies we accept everyday in a world that has become too complex and frightening to comprehend. e.g. "-Insert country- were responsible for -insert terrorist atrocity- but they are our allies, so let's blame another country instead because it's just easier", or "Let's build a big wall because it's easier than solving a raft of much more complicated problems". The sprawling canvas takes in the post-911 world, cyberspace, globalization, the roots of suicide bombing, Syria, Libya, Trump, the Iraq war and how social media algorithms help us to filter out information we don't want to hear, constructing a comforting false-reality around ourselves. Curtis' sobering voice-over is backed by his trademark dream-like collage of videos, films, news and music, where simple things like the vacant expression of a woman using an exercise machine can somehow come to sum up the whole post-millennium human condition. The man is a genius.

The whole thing is on youtube (There are some shocking scenes of war, so be aware):

Quite an analysis! Interesting to have all the variations put side by side. 

I'm a big fan of the novel of Dracula, and would love to one day see an accurate adaptation.

Side note: Is there a reason why this thread is in "General FE Discussions" instead of "Movies"?

This has been discussed before, but the disaster HD remastering of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER continues to baffle....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWNGq70Oyo[/video]

Back
Top Bottom