• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Film Video Essay Thread

rantandbollox said:
Heya all,
Sorry for being so quiet lately, and I didn't plan this, but in line with the above post about timelines I've done a new essay on Mad Max: Fury Road...yeah that pretty much sums it up. Don't know how exactly it ended up being as long as my one on The Terminator which was two movies together, but y'know...science or something.

As always, appreciate any feedback or thoughts you folks have, and if you haven't seen Max Max...what's wrong with you? Also, spoilers.

^ This is well worth the 45 minute watch people :) . In fact it almost feels squeezed into that run-time, when so many ideas are put forward. The editing of the illustrative footage is very good too.

As all right thinking people know, 'Fury Road' is a modern masterpiece but this essay reveals further depths of genius in the movie, I hadn't even considered. FR is going to be analszed for years to come.

A follow up to the Tommy Wisaeu essay, analysing another auteur, Neil Breen...

"The final effect is ominous, like something out of Mulholland Drive."

I don't think any Chez Lindsay videos have been posted. She used to do typical face in the camera reviews of movies for the Nostalgia Critic YouTube channel but got away from that and makes really thoughtful stuff now. 

Here's one I liked a lot that's relevant to the thread:

Zamros said:

Did I really just watch (albeit not all at once) a 110-minute takedown of Sherlock?! Yes, I... I did. In fairness to myself, however, it covers several other shows (Moffat's Jekyll and Doctor Who run), and is really entertaining - much more so than the two Sherlock episodes I actually watched once. And now I never have to watch any again! So, time saved, in a way? :p

Hi all,
Finally managed to get my latest (long ass) video essay up. Despite being nearly an hour long the added problem is a delayed issue on the copyright dispute (for the music of all things) means it is unavailable on some devices and in some countries. 

Anyway, enough apologies, this is my in-depth look at Christopher Nolan's 10-year old classic 'The Prestige', and how well structured it was from a writing standpoint, while also looking at the meta-level the film represents to filmmakers in general.

Love any and all feedback, and thanks to those who manage to sit through the whole thing!

A longy but a goody that reminds you that the first Pirates of the Caribbean was just that damn good.

Not really sure where to put this, so MODs feel free to relocate.
Presenter gives his 20+ reasons why he feels post 2000 movies have gone downhill.
Just his opinions.  Some may concur, it should hold the interest of many here.

Vultural said:

I've moved it to 'The Film Video Essay Thread' thread, as that seems the perfect fit.

Vultural said:
Presenter gives his 20+ reasons why he feels post 2000 movies have gone downhill.
Just his opinions.  Some may concur, it should hold the interest of many here.

[i removed the video]

youtube keeps trying to suggest this video to me.  sense you posted it on the boards, it must be interesting enough to watch.
youtube = 1, me = 0

Vultural said:

Regarding points 3 and 4 ("OCD cinematography" and "OCD lighting"), I find it odd that he painted modern movies as the progenitors of these things.

He pointed to Laurel and Hardy movies (which had fairly crude, albeit perfectly adequate, cinematography) as an example of what movies used to look like many years ago. But while some movies looked like that, there were also others like "Metropolis" (1927), Gone with the Wind" (1939), "The Wizard of Oz" (1939), "Stagecoach" (1939), "Citizen Kane" (1941), "The Black Narcissus" (1947), "The Red Shoes" (1948),  "Singin' in the Rain" (1952), "The Night of the Hunter" (1955), "The Searchers" (1956), "Forbidden Planet" (1956), "Vertigo" (1958), "Mary Poppins" (1964), and hundreds of others whose makers went to great lengths to ensure that they were shot and lit in such a manner as to provide a stunning, better-than-reality visual aesthetic. Many such classic movies show a far greater visual perfectionism than the majority of today's movies.

Furthermore, when talking about lighting in horror movies, he mentioned relatively crudely-lit 1970s-1980s movies like "Halloween" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" as examples of how horror movies used to be lit, in order to contract them with today's more perfectionistic horror movie lighting. But he left out classics like "Frankenstein" (1931) and its sequel "Bride of Frankenstein" (1935), "The Wolf Man" (1941), "Cat People" (1942), the 1950s-1960s Hammer classics, and many other pre-1970 horror movies that were impeccably-lit with perfectly-stylized balances of light and shadow.

So these particular stylistic approaches that he is pointing to as typifying modern movies are actually a matter of modern-day filmmakers making visual choices that hearken back to the Golden Age (or at least attempt to). Furthermore, many of the greatest movies of all time had incredibly perfectionistic cinematography and lighting (Welles, Hitchcock, Lang, Ford, Curtiz, etc) and were made in an era (one regarded by many as the greatest era of filmmaking, no less) in which that type of perfectionism was the norm in big-budget filmmaking. So trying to frame cinematography and lighting perfectionism as flaws is a strange stance to take.

I endured until "Drive is a bad rip-off of The Driver" and then tuned out...
Was even ready to forgive "Zimmer is good" statement :p

It's an hour of the guy sitting in a chair, in one shot and no illustrative clips? Yeah, no thanks.

Rob Ager is the first online video essayist I became aware of, a good decade or so ago. (I plugged some of his work upthread.) He's done some great analysis of Eyes Wide Shut and The Birds, but he's put those and many other works behind a paywall. I find him quite interesting, but yeah, not interesting enough for a clips-free hour in a chair.

I saw this posted on a "literary" forum, where most of the readers seemed in agreement with him.
These guys are into less popular books; while I know they view films, I doubt they do so to the degree of FE members.
And yes, I had trouble with him and the lack of visual examples.
Unlike Gaith, I was unaware of the speaker, and I hope he receives critical feedback on better presentation.

Harry Potter: (Ron being comic relief instead of useful, Hermione being a know it all)

Fantastic The Martian Essay about teamwork:

Here's a pretty good one:

I'd been wondering what gives Fincher movies their special je ne sais quoi. Guess now I know:

I watched Man of Steel the other day and was less than impressed. Someone showed me this video which I think points out the flaws rather well. Although not all, alot of the problems are owed to the editing. Just curious if anyone has seen this/agrees with the points this guy makes, and also if anyone has seen an edit that takes these things into account:

Back
Top Bottom