• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Film Video Essay Thread

TM2YC said:
Oh, I thought that ^ was going to be a video explaining why 'Arrival' is a bad movie. Shame.

Don't be silly. Nerdwriter would never make an original video.

baileym43 said:
i didn't really like that essay about Bats vs Supes because it was being to generic.
"they are bad characters and it's poor scripting."
ok, how so specifically, site some examples within the movie.  and they just don't do it.  
then i watched another one that Youtube suggested from that one.

i feel it's better, not just because it's longer, but the essayist sites specific examples within the movie, and also compares it to a non-superhero movie, Indiana Jones (Raiders).
then at the end goes through and provides reasoning on how the movie could have been improved with simple throwaway dialog.

Hey there,
Was directed here by a buddy who saw someone had already posted one of my videos. Strangely enough that BvS one was what I call a rant, and my longer videos are what I'd call 'essays', so hopefully people enjoy them for that (or you can listen to me lose my mind too, that's cool)

Here's the latest one on 'The Terminator' and 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day', which I analyze as two connecting films creating one unifying theme and story on how John Connor defeats the machines by teaching them and not perpetuating the time-war.

Again, thanks for sharing.

rantandbollox said:

I started poring over your videos after seeing the BvS one. Great work. 

MAKE MORE!  ;)

rantandbollox said:
Hey there,
Was directed here by a buddy who saw someone had already posted one of my videos. Strangely enough that BvS one was what I call a rant, and my longer videos are what I'd call 'essays', so hopefully people enjoy them for that (or you can listen to me lose my mind too, that's cool)

Welcome to the site. I only found your channel recently but was actually listening/watching your commentary of BvS just last night:

I love me some commentaries but good ones are few and far between. Yours was very interesting, highlighting terrible aspects of BvS that I hadn't even considered. When the surface level of a movie is that bad, it can be easy to miss that it's also deeply flawed beneath that surface :D . The point about nothing being "earned" was the strongest one for me.

addiesin said:
rantandbollox said:

I started poring over your videos after seeing the BvS one. Great work. 

MAKE MORE!  ;)

Thanks very much, appreciate the appreciation!

Did a new video just yesterday, though this one is a 'rant', similar to the BvS quicker generalized style.

Those more substantial essays take about a month each to put together so expect a new one mid-April. Glad you liked them!

i watched only the first five minutes, the part pertaining to alien/prometheus. haha, what was ridley scott thinking?

I found this little essay as it related to a film I just watched (and coincidentally, two others I've done fanedits of)...

...and then noticed there are 16 others by this Saladino guy, including this great one about David Lean's cuttting techniques...

...and this one talking about Harmy and Scorsese...

I'll have to check out the rest: https://vimeo.com/theroyaloceanfilmsociety

rantandbollox said:
Did a new video just yesterday, though this one is a 'rant', similar to the BvS quicker generalized style.

Those more substantial essays take about a month each to put together so expect a new one mid-April. Glad you liked them!

Really liking your videos as well. Thought I'd quickly go through the modern superhero films and see which of them are actually trying to say something.

Batman Begins: It's not who you are underneath but what you do that defines you.
The Dark Knight: Chaos cannot be controlled, understood or reasoned with. But in spite of everything, people can still be good.
Iron Man: Take responsibility for the problems you created.
The Incredible Hulk: Emotions (Anger) cannot be suppressed, only controlled.
Watchmen: The exact opposite of what the book was trying to convey.
Wolverine Origins: Why does this movie exist if he just gets amnesia at the end?
Kick-Ass: There are consequences for your actions. Not everything happens for a reason.
Iron-Man 2: Take responsibility for the problems your Dad created.
X-Men First Class: Something about divisions I guess?
Super: Everyone's a bit fucked up. Just don't steal... and don't fucking butt in line.
The Green Hornet: Fuckin... weed, right? I don't remember that movie, and I watched it twice.
Green Lantern: Fuckin... weed, right? Are these not the same movie?
Thor: Even as a king, you are not above anyone else.
Captain America: It is the strength of one's character that makes a hero, not one's strength.
Ghost Rider 2: DEERP A DEERRR DOODODOOOOO
The Avengers: You must be able to put aside your ego and differences with others to work together for the common good.
The Dark Knight Rises: The Occupy movement are evil, Rich 1% Bat-Jesus will save us.
The Amazing Spiderman: With great power comes a wasted Martin Sheen performance.
Dredd: The Law is never absolute.
Man of Steel: Freaks should be ashamed of being freaks... among 6 billion other contradictory messages.
Iron Man 3: Take responsibility for the problems you created... also man up if you haven't done already
Thor 2: ...Dark Elves are cunts?
The Wolverine: Everybody dies... J.K. NOT WOLVERINE
Oh what's that? He died?
Captain America 2: Freedom isn't free. You can't escape your past.
The Amazing Spiderman 2: With great power comes no responsibility. Spider-Jesus will save us.
X-Men Days of Future Pants: You will always be who you are, but you can still change.
Guardians of the Galaxy: You can find a family anywhere.
TMNT: Blood runs thicker than margarita.
Avengers 2: Take responsibility for.... FOR FUCK SAKE TONY, AGAIN? AI is bad and will destroy us all.
Ant-Man: Ex-convicts have the capacity to do good, the American Justice system needs drastic reform and a move away from privatised prisons toward a rehabilitation based penal system. This will allow those that have wronged society a second chance to do good, instead of being disqualified from jobs because of a past conviction, hence they will be able to break the cycle of re incarceration and form a better society.
Fant4stic: These rights are mine, God gave these rights to meeeeee.
Deadpool: Most people aren't good people. Love transcends appearance.
Batman v Superman: MARTHA! THEY HAVE THE SAME NAME! WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN!?!?!? WE ARE SMART AND YOU ARE DUMB. THIS MOVIE IS FUCKING ART AND ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY CAN EAT SHIT BECAUSE DC ARE THE MASTERS OF CINEMA.
Civil War: Emotion can overcome reason. You still can't escape your past. A house divided against itself cannot stand. Tony Stark is a cunt and should be euthanised.
Apocalypse: I don't... what.. what even happened in this movie?
Suicide Squad: See above and multiply it exponentially by itself. DC should give up.
Doctor Strange: Be open minded. Also wizards are cool, eh?
Logan: Life is the small moments with people you care about. Everybody dies. Patrick Stewart is our Eternal National Treasure.
Power Rangers: GO GO POWER RANGERS! *Guitar music*

Zamros said:
X-Men First Class: Something about divisions I guess?

Your upbringing defines what person you'll be and colors your worldview.

Wolverine Origins: Why does this movie exist if he just gets amnesia at the end?

...brother's stick together???

Subsequently, don't immediately greenlight a sequel just because you have a popular character

Super: Everyone's a bit fucked up. Just don't steal... and don't fucking butt in line.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with a breakup.

Green Lantern: Fuckin... weed, right? Are these not the same movie?

Courage can overcome anything. And by "courage", I mean "brute force."

Iron Man 3: Take responsibility for the problems you created... also man up if you haven't done already

In the face of trauma, remember that you are still one of a kind and have something to offer. Also, don't be an asshole, it's totally gonna backfire.

Thor 2: ...Dark Elves are c***s?

*Fixed it for you.* You need a calm mind in the face of tragedy to be a worthy ruler?

The Amazing Spiderman 2: With great power comes no responsibility. Spider-Jesus will save us.

Meandering and wasting the audience's time is going to cost you if you're borrowing someone else's toy.

Avengers 2: Take responsibility for.... FOR FUCK SAKE TONY, AGAIN? AI is bad and will destroy us all.

People, your friends, and you are flawed. There's a good chance your flaws are going to destroy you. Embrace and accept your flawed self, and you will live a happy life.

Ant-Man: Ex-convicts have the capacity to do good, the American Justice system needs drastic reform and a move away from privatised prisons toward a rehabilitation based penal system. This will allow those that have wronged society a second chance to do good, instead of being disqualified from jobs because of a past conviction, hence they will be able to break the cycle of re incarceration and form a better society.

*I don't have anything to add, I'm just surprised that Ant-Man has the longest take here.*

Fant4stic: These rights are mine, God gave these rights to meeeeee.

Drastic actions under the influence of alcohol have no long term consequences.

Civil War: Emotion can overcome reason. You still can't escape your past. A house divided against itself cannot stand. Tony Stark is a c*** and should be euthanized.

There are no long-term consequences in a Marvel Studios movie, and the House of Mouse won't pretend otherwise. Also, *you* keep your cool when you dad's friend has been keeping secret about your parents' deaths for over two years.

Doctor Strange: Be open minded. Also wizards are cool, eh?

Life is bigger than you. What may be important today might not be important later.

Deadpool: Most people aren't good people. Love transcends appearance.

Apocalypse: I don't... what.. what even happened in this movie?

Logan: Life is the small moments with people you care about. Everybody dies.

Two out of three 'aint bad.

Power Rangers: GO GO POWER RANGERS! *Guitar music*

Your town sucks, your home life sucks, your family sucks, the world sucks, and you suck. But if you manage to find people that you're willing to fight and die for, then you too can form a giant gestalt robot. ;)

Zamros said:

Nic said:
Subsequently, don't immediately greenlight a sequel just because you have a popular character

You're both wrong! Arrr, IM2 gets an unfair bad rap. Its theme is "Even superheroes need teammates, and can stand to recognize reasonable authority figures, and only by tackling one's personal weaknesses and problems head-on can one hope to live a healthy life and start adult romantic relationships." That actually makes it one of the MCU's deepest movies, in my book.

Nic said:
Thor 2: ...Dark Elves are c***s?

*Fixed it for you.* You need a calm mind in the face of tragedy to be a worthy ruler?

I don't share the opinion of the colonials on "the worst of the 4 letter words".

Nic said:
*I don't have anything to add, I'm just surprised that Ant-Man has the longest take here.*

That was more a joke than anything, but that is word for word how I feel about most western penal systems.

Gaith said:
You're both wrong! Arrr, IM2 gets an unfair bad rap. Its theme is "Even superheroes need teammates, and can stand to recognize reasonable authority figures, and only by tackling one's personal weaknesses and problems head-on can one hope to live a healthy life and start adult romantic relationships." That actually makes it one of the MCU's deepest movies, in my book.

I actually like Iron Man 2, although I still think it's the worst Marvel film. But aye, a movie can be deep without carrying any weight. Batman v Superman was apparently the deepest movie that ever was since "The Holy Mountain" but its themes carried no weight as they didn't develop on them. Iron Man 2 could have been Marvel's best movie had it stuck to one or two plot threads instead of 60. As for Marvel's deepest movies, I think Civil War, The Winter Soldier and even Age of Ultron (As bad a movie as it is) are MUCH deeper movies than IM2.

Well since someone defended IM2, I think the same should be done for Amazing Spider-Man 2. I'll leave these 2 great defense videos here:

And as a bonus, an awesomely funny review from the awesomely funny Unusual Suspect:

Two good scene/style breakdowns from Rob Ager:

Not sure if this is the right category ....?

But I was flipping channels last night and came across Buffy on an HD channel in 16x9, and I was struck by how odd the show looked, though I could put my finger on it other than the picture looked far too bright and clean.   Then I stumbled across this video.... 

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F28XcxHxH6k[/video]

ThrowgnCpr said:
yikes. I'll stick with my DVD set.

Indeed.   Completely BUTCHERED in every way possible.    :mad:

Heya all,
Sorry for being so quiet lately, and I didn't plan this, but in line with the above post about timelines I've done a new essay on Mad Max: Fury Road...yeah that pretty much sums it up. Don't know how exactly it ended up being as long as my one on The Terminator which was two movies together, but y'know...science or something.

As always, appreciate any feedback or thoughts you folks have, and if you haven't seen Max Max...what's wrong with you? Also, spoilers.

Back
Top Bottom