• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Film Video Essay Thread

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always thought Peter Jackson must have drawn inspiration from Bakshi's LOTR - interesting to see the two versions put side by side. 

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried to send you a PM @Zarius but your qouta is full

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yeah, this is such a weird place to mention that.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure if there's a better thread for this or not, but I thought this was quite a cool little montage, paying tribute to sci-fi over the years.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This comparison of various Steadicam walking shots from Alan Clarke films is mondo hypnotic:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kubrick essay from film critic Danny Leigh:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Interesting use of a portrait aspect-ratio, which is further enhanced by not watching the video in fullscreen mode because youtube applies a white background behind the posters, kinda like an art gallery wall. I wasn't in love with the added film damage FX though.

cafevincent

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watch a ton of video essays for fun, some present good grounds for a fanedit. I must post these here, I declare this thread a playground for inspirational ideas in video form. Please post your findings too.

Cut bits that make the vigilantes seem to have super strength (wall punching etc.), Rorschach's bullet immunity (from Ultimate Edition), and slow motion action (where possible). Replace "99 luftballon".

Reorder the scenes to arguably make one of the greatest improvements in fanedit history.

Use audio book and stills to fill in George's masterpiece. Thread here.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Isn't there a film video essay thread already?

Top Bottom