• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Big Sleep - The Gangrel Hybrid Cut Now Available

My blood ran cold when I saw someone was fan editing The Big Sleep, one of the great movies of American cinema. But I feel much better after seeing how you're treating it. I switch back and forth on which of the two version I watch. So, if the editor's managed to combine the best in both, that is deeply cool.

So, I'm very interested in this.

However, I'm hearing comments on technical problems, but I don't understand what those are. Since it takes me forever to download a film, can someone explain what the tech problems with the "disk" are?

The pulldown flags weren't removed from the video during editing.
As a result the editing software interpreted the video as being 29.97 (not 23.976) and reencoded it 100% blending the fields (effectively deinterlacing it as 29,97p). As a result there is a lot of blurry jittery motion. There are also bad compression artifacts from the recoding.

Also the audio was re-encoded from DD2.0 to mpeg audio, but it doesn't sound that bad.

The edit itself is great though and the edit points are clean.

so that is why it was getting a bit blurry all the time... my reason to go for a smaller bitrate, because it could not do much harm anyway.

Yeah, the recompression is already pretty bad (you can see posterization), but the deinterlacing that the software used resulted in 3 out of every 5 frames being blended (double image).

DVDShrink/NeroRecode might be preferable in this case since it's already been re-encoded once.

but DVD Shrink has a terrible encoder. I think the best way for a quality rip would be DVD Rebuilder, but what I used is ok. CCE q40 setting. And I so wanted to give it a blue touch, but my wife said: no.

Oh I agree CCE is usually the absolute best way to go. I was just thinking out loud that reencoding might actually cause more damage than something like recode (in this specific case).

Btw, one pass vbr with rebuilder turned up something like q=5 for me.

And I don't think I want to ask why blue.

hehehe, no , don't ask :)
and you migth have realized, my shrink is just 2GB in size.

Yikes. I didn't know you got it that small. I grabbed the DL version myself.

of course you did :)
I played around and compared qualities for larger versions and this one is a pretty good compromise.

Has anyone seen Wildthing73 around?
I'm trying to get in touch with him about the reconstruction I'm doing of this.

Here's the situation:

I'm done the principle editing and about ready to sync some subtitles (English and French (if there's interest)). Then it's author and burn.

Besides quality improvements, I've added 2 tiny little clips, but my problem is that I find Peggy Knudsen as Mona Mars (and everyone else's performance in that scene) better in the '46 version.

Minor changes are one thing, but is it still a reconstruction if I completely replace several minutes and an actress?

I hoped to talk with WildThing about it first, but I'm curious about any other fan opinions.

Wow, I'm guessing no one is watching this thread any longer.

I guess I won't worry about releasing this when finished. That's fine.

Btw, I've been nearly talked into keeping the '45 Mona Mars as used by WildThing73.

whoa i'm interested!

this is actually high up on my list of "wanted trades" so a higher quality version would be awesome...

one of my wife's favorite movies.

Yeah, I'm still around, just been busy with editing my latest film (one of my independent film company's films, not a fanedit) , then releasing it on my website for sale and haven't been able to chat much.

If you like Peggy in that role, go for it (I just thought the other was sexier)

I like Peggy a bit more, my dad disagrees and thinks the other woman is prettier and better dressed.
I also dislike that the original version of the scene is very static with little or no cuts or motion by the actors.
The reshoot has close ups, cuts, and the actors walk around. It's just more dynamic to watch.
'46 version also has a reference back to the race horse analogy from earlier in the film.

That said, one of the 2 clips I added, shows Marlow taking one of his guns from his car (and removing the registration) before getting out at the service station.

In the '45 cut he _looks_ like he's checking for his gun and says "They don't take any chances, do they?"
The '46 cut he says the same thing but he's just checking how tight the ropes are.

If I use the '46 cut I'm not sure I should keep him getting the gun (why it was probably cut in the first place).

But it makes more sense. He's a very smart PI, why would he go into that place without one? It also explains why when he goes back to the car later to get a gun why there is only one left in his 2 gun holder.

Which part sounds good?

I'm really stalled here.
I don't know which version to keep.

I'd love to do seamless branching, but as far as I know, that's still nearly impossible to do well.

All of it sounds fine to me, go with Peggy and 2 additional clips if you want.

Oh, I really didn't want to interfere with your creative vision since this is technically only a reconstruction.

It's fine really, do whatever your better judgment tells you and don't worry about it :)

Back
Top Bottom