• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Big Sleep - The Gangrel Hybrid Cut Now Available

wildthing73

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is my second fanedit, which I'm currently uploading to RapidShare as we speak, but it's a large 5 GB DVD... so it might be tomorrow before I'll be able to get the links up. But I'll have them up as soon as it completes uploading :)

bigsleepdvdfront.jpg

THE BIG SLEEP - THE GANGREL HYBRID CUT
Gangrel
tagline:

original film name : The Big Sleep
new film name : The Big Sleep - The Gangrel Hybrid Cut
film studio name : Warner Brothers
edit crew name : Gangrel

Date Original Film Was Released : 1946
Date Edit Was Released : 23 MAY 2007

Original Runtime : 114 min
New Runtime : 122 min

Amount of time Cut/Added : 8 minutes added

Cuts removed/added/extended :

1. Added 1945 Marlow's search at Gieger's house.
2. Added 1945 scene of Marlow in the car with Carmen.
3. Used 1946 version of Marlow arriving at the Sternwood house with Carmen.
4. Added 1946 dialog about Carmen with Marlow and Vivian at his office.
5. Added Marlow with Bernie at the D.A.s office after Brody's death.
6. Added the 1946 scene with Marlow and Vivian in the bar as opposed to the 1945 scene with Vivian wearing a black veil outside Marlow's office.
7. Added 1946 alternate dialog with Marlow and Vivian after he knocks out the hijacker.
8. Added 1946 scene with Marlow and Carmen at his apartment.
9. Added additional dialog from 1946 with Marlow and Bernie in his office.
10. Added 1945 Mona Mars scene after Marlow is knocked out in the Garage, Mona is played by Pat Clark in this scene instead of Peggy Knudsen (I thought Pat was sexier in the part and the entire film is about sexy women).

Conceptual improvements/advancements of edit over original:
To create the most complete film version of the Raymond Chandler novel as possible by combining scenes from both the 1945 Pre-Release Cut of the film and the final 1946 Theatrical Cut.

DVD Details:
122 minutes NTSC 4:3 full screen Dolby Stereo 5.1
Dual Layer, 5.5GB
languages ENGLISH

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow... a true classic fanedited.. Interesting.

Melchizadek

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool. I've got the DVD version with both of these on it. So, I'm looking forward to seeing this.

wildthing73

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's not really my choice, I love widescreen, but the original aspect ratio on the films was 4:3... that's how the initial DVD was.

wildthing73

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys, I have more then half the links uploaded and was wondering if you think I should post the links I have so far and then post the others when they complete or just wait until they all complete before posting any? I just figured if I post the first half now then most of you with slower connections could have most of them downloaded by the time the second half went up... what do you guys think?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this is totally up to you. But when you are finished you should make an additional post in rapidshare links.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you clarify... is this an extended edition utilizing footage from both cuts found on the 2000 DVD?

Also (ripped from Wikipedia):
Bacall's agent requested that portions of the film be reshot to capitalize on her newly attained celebrity. Studio head Jack Warner agreed, and new material, such as the suggestive "horse racing" scene, was added (even though, contextually, it makes no sense whatsoever). Parts of the ending were also reshot, with Peggy Knudsen in the part of Mona Mars, as the original actress, Pat Clark, was unavailable. While there is only a difference of two minutes in the run time of both versions, there is over twenty minutes of different footage between them. In its revised form, The Big Sleep made its theatrical debut on 23 August 1946.

The theatrical release of the film is generally regarded as better. Although some consider it to be more confusing and more difficult to follow (it lacks, for example, a long, stilted conversation between Marlowe and the Los Angeles District Attorney in which the facts of the case thus far are discussed), most argue that the performance and pairing of Bogart and Bacall makes up for it.

How did you address this?

Edit: It looks like you used Imdb's "Alternate Versions" information for a shot-by-shot beefing up of the movie. Cool.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
since this has no menu and is also a bit large for a b/w movie I will upload a much smaller single layer version (with menu and scene selection) together with this. Cover art is still needed though.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
and I just realize:
this is an Extended Edition. Nothing was cut. Topic moved.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my take on the cover art:
3dbigsleeptf5.jpg

wildthing73

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess it's always cool to have alternate cover art for the DVDs, you plan on making your own take on my first release The Bloody Vampire?

And yes, it takes what was best about the 1945 and 1946 cuts and cuts them together to be the ultimate complete version of the film.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't wait. This is one of my favorite Boggie films.
And post almost exactly as I finished my last RS download so I'm ready to go.

Btw, don't mistake my fondness for Boon23's cover to be a ding on the official one.
I'm going to have a hard time picking which one to use.

wildthing73

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's cool, my official cover was a tough one to make and I am pretty proud of how it came out, but Boon did do a cool one as well... except Howard Hawks didn't play in the film, he just directed it :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know, but he was listed like this on the poster art, where the front image is from, so I thought it was alright. ...a bit unusual though.
THere is no official cover art attached to this. Could you send it me via email?

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boon has a bad habit of making good cover art look effortless.

wildthing73

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official cover art I made for it is available under the Rapidshare forum. It's the first link...

Top Bottom