• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Big Sleep - The Gangrel Hybrid Cut Now Available

now look at that :) If I had found it I would not have made one. Ok, so now people have two to choose from.

So Boon, any idea when you'll have that single layer version ready, I'd like to see what you come up with on it :)

BTW
any suggestions on how I should be saving any fanedits that run over 2 hours in the future to keep the file small enough to make a single layer DVD?

it is ready, I only need to upload it. It's already in the queue :)
the suggestion is to re-encode using a smaller bitrate :)
Or to use DVD Rebuilder, which will do the magic for you. I wanted to first go that way, but then I thought, hey, this one could use a menu and an animated scene selection and it is b/w anyway, so it doesn't even have to be a full single layer. The result is way ok. Of course yours DL looks a bit better though.

Yeah, but DL take forever to upload to Rapidshare, I'd rather make future fanedits SL, so thanks for the suggestion :)

that and the cost for a DL are what made me create a SL in the first place.

I'm only a few minutes into this and I have a question.

You seem to have 29.97 frame/sec video.
Instead of interlaced frames, the extra frames (about 24) are progressive and blended.

What software did you use that did this to the video... it's a bit ugly?
Also is it too late for you to fix it?

I used DVD Ripper, then Sony Vegas to edit it, and then DVD-lab PRO to burn the DVD.

Did you remove the pulldown before editing?

Yeah, that's the problem.

Most movies are filmed at 24 frames per second.
Home video is 29.97 frames per second.
They can either make a mess of it (like they did on VHS and Laserdiscs) by telecining to add interlaced frames or use pulldown.

Nearly all DVDs (of theatrical releases) use pulldown: The video is slowed a tiny bit to 23.976 and then flagged as 29.97. On playback, players that require it will telecine (add extra frames) to make it watchable. This is why progressive scan DVD players were such a big deal, they didn't perform this last step and threw the unaltered 23.976 frames on the screen (better video quality). (For those about to bitch, yes I know there is debate over how progressive players work, but I'm trying to keep things simple.)

Anyway, when editing DVD material IN MOST CASES you want to remove those flags or the editing software might assume it's 29.97 material and act funny as a result (Womble is the same way).

It's a simple process. I use a program called DGPulldown: http://neuron2.net/dgpulldown/dgpulldown.html

Select your source file, set a destination file, then click the "Custom" button and type into BOTH boxes: 23.976. Click "Convert" and get a sandwich.
The software will resave a new file stripping the pulldown flags.

If there's a better way to do it, I don't know, can anyone chime in if I'm wrong here?

I also note that the audio is listed as Mpeg1 audio.

Somewhere along the way it was re-encoded from its original format.
I know that because although PAL-land allows for it, NTSC DVD standard does not.

While most stand alone DVD players shouldn't have trouble with the audio, it doesn't actually fit book specifications, so some people might have problems.

So, let me get this straight, I take a movie I've ripped with DVD Ripper and use DGPulldown and then edit the film it created in Vegas?

it is mp2 audio, at least from what I ripped.

read my signature :)

I'm about 2/3 of the way through watching this so far (I keep getting distracted) and gotta say: technical issues aside this is a great edit.

You've managed to do a bang up job playing around with probably one of the most complicated movies plots ever made while keeping it coherent.

wildthing73 said:
So, let me get this straight, I take a movie I've ripped with DVD Ripper and use DGPulldown and then edit the film it created in Vegas?
Yes. Does anyone disagree (I don't use Vegas myself)?

boon23 said:
it is mp2 audio, at least from what I ripped.
Of Gangrel's disc or the original? I didn't check, I just assumed that there were no official NTSC DVDs printed with mpg audio (since it isn't official).
Oops I guess the first. DVD packaging confirms DD 2.0.

of gangrel's disc.

(Finally) finished watching this edit.
Technical issues aside, I love it.
The Big Sleep is one of my all time favorite Bogart films and I was wary about seeing an edit of it.

You'd think 2 versions of the same movie pushed together into one big one would have problems (especially for a film as complexly plotted as this), but it works.
It works really well.

Edit: Besides lack of artifacts, another reason to get the pulldown thing right is the editing software should be able to copy the video without re-encoding it... the output quality will be equal to the original DVD.
In this case it had to re-encode 100% of the video (which must have been slow to output).

I'm glad you liked the edit, I was pretty proud of the finished product (as an edit, not for picture quality) myself, so I'm happy you aprechiated the work :)

Back
Top Bottom