• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Big Sleep - The Gangrel Hybrid Cut Now Available

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol, what makes you think I have a better judgment?

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last call for French Subs on this, otherwise I won't bother.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Note to those that care... the cover art (off the main site) has a bad link.
It should be: http//www.fanedit.org/extended_editions/gangrel/bigsleep/bigsleepdvd_official.rar

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
f*ck the french!!!

but seriously, i don't need them

very much looking forward to this edit - thanks doctor m & wildthing73

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Grumble.
I've finished recutting the English subs.
Unfortunately these are the approximation-type subtitles.
Not quite what's being said, but nearly.

Some parts I've completely re-written because I had to do other work (I also filled in some low-volume telephone dialog that wasn't there at all)... other places I've left alone.

With thousands of lines of dialog I loath the idea of re-writing the whole movie... but I also hate bad subs.

Again... grumble.

Since I'm nearing the final authoring stages I thought I'd post my change list.

Changes from original Gangrel Hybrid Edition (tentative):

Fixed frame rate to restore 23.976 fps (no re-encoding).
Fixed audio keeping DD 2.0 at same bitrate as original DVD (previous release was mpeg audio). (Womble re-coded though, but there should be no discernable quality drop.)

Fixed a cut when Marlow brought Carmen home (butler opened door twice).
Added 30 seconds of Marlow putting coded diary on his desk after entering his apartment. (1945)
Replaced 1946 footage with better quality 1945 footage of Geiger's house (the fight and arrest of Lundgren). (1946 transfer was over-bright and detail was washed out).
Added 30 seconds of Marlow removing his car registration and getting a gun before going into the service station. (1945)
1946 Mona Mars scene used (I felt it was performed and shot better. It also allowed me to avoid an ugly cut).

Extra Features:
Original extras (including documentary) and menus preserved (with some changes).
Chapter Index
English Subtitles.

Alternate Scene Comparisons:
Carmen being brought home
'Black Veil' scene vs. Resturant/racehorse scene
The two Mona Mars.

DVD-ROM
1944 Original Script
1946 Final Script

Frankly the subtitles and authoring have already taken much longer than the cutting of the film. :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hear you, DoctorM. Writing subtitles is always a lot of work.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Questions, comments, concerns?
Edit: Cleaned up margins of Gangrel banner.

mainmenuaq4.jpg

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I proofed the main film today. (And also bought myself the world's most comfortable computer chair.)

Lot's of subtitle fixes had to be made. (Mmm. Comfy chair.)

Of interest I found a continuity error in the edit.

As it is now:
In both the '44 and '45 cut, Marlowe is wearing his sport jacket with nothing over it as he carries Carmen out of Geiger's house.

Next in the '44 cut he is in the car driving, but now it's raining and he's wearing a rain coat (okay maybe he put on the coat after he got to the car? Or not, but it's a forgivable error on their part in the '44 cut.)
The '44 footage continues as Marlowe arrives and knocks on the Sternwood door. It's raining and he pulls his coat around himself.

Now we're in '45 footage: (View from inside the house) The butler opens the door, it's not raining out, and Marlowe isn't wearing a rain coat.

So you ask... should I remove the '44 footage to fix the rain and coat problem? I would, except after Marlowe brings Carmen in and speaks with Vivian, he goes to leave... and it's raining hard.
So the butler helps him into his rain coat before he leaves.
Ooops. We have a theatrical cut continuity error.

So either it's wrong twice (as it is now) or I cut the edit's error and leave the official error while losing some footage.

At the moment I'm planning on leaving things alone. Maybe the butler takes so long to answer the door it stops raining, Marlowe takes off his raincoat, and hides it outside the door for the butler to retrieve while he's carrying Carmen to the bedroom. ;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you should leave it as it is. This is a forgivable error, especially since he did have the opportunity to put on the cloak, when the audience was not watching.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
right... there is some lost time.

now if it was different cuts of the same scene...

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lost time? Not by much.

The first bit is Marlowe outside the door knocking in the rain wearing a coat.
Then we cut to the inside, the butler answering and Marlowe is coatless in dry weather.

BUT if he's coatless, where does the coat come from that the butler gives him when he goes to leave?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ouch... that truly is an error in the plot. Now you have to decide if it is destracting enough to need correction.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You saw this edit already didn't you?
Did YOU notice it? :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nope, I was all in the movie and did not care for his dress. Now ask me, in which scene he wore a hat and in which not. ;-) But then it should be noted that I am pretty much forgiving with these flaws, where others are not.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm really tempted to let it slide.
Half of it's their mistake and I'd really rather not cut that bit just to half fix it.

That said... damn these menus are a pain.

Does anyone know how to rip a button?
The original DVD menus have cute little guns for making your selection.
I'm adding 1 custom menu and I'd like to use them as well.

wildthing73

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with Boon on this, I don't think this error is much of a big deal, many people most likely won't care that much about such a slight error.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So we all pretty much agree to let the error slid.

Ok, well the final disc is built and oversized by 187mb.
I will use Nero Recode (and I'll try to compress only the extras).

DvdReMake Pro is fantastic software, but it makes me crazy.

I managed to very closely duplicate the original menu and buttons in my new Special Feature page (up till 6AM adding pre and post commands and copying Cells, too). I don't know how they originally did it but I had to use 2 different subpicture channels for it. The first with 75% transparency for the outline and the second with 50% transparency for the shading. (Followed by some color tweaks with IfoEdit, ugh.)

Now when you click the "1945 / 1946 Comparisons!" button you get a new menu.
It gives you access to the original DVD's featurette as well as the ability to watch the 3 alternate scenes that were cut from this edit (as well as the 1946 version that was used).

newmenuhi9.jpg

2 days to edit the movie... a week to do the rest. Now to burn a test disc and see how badly I screwed up the navigation.

Top Bottom