• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Avengers

bondukkevin said:
Not sure why Joss Whedon shot it in 185:1 instead of 235:1 maybe less expensive I guess.
yeah, I also prefere larger ratio, but well, yes maybe it's because it's less expensive or...
because once on bluray it will look "full screen"... or maybe because the IMAX presentation is not 2.35:1.
I know some Avatar presentation were 2:35:1 in theater while the actual real ratio is 1.78:1
(correct me if I'm wrong)
Maybe they did not want to crop top and bottom picture like Avatar did.

revel911 said:
I just get annoyed when reviewers (amateurs or professionals) that review it compared to movies of a different type. It's a popcorn flick, and a top rated one!

Personally while I enjoyed the movie and for sure will get it on blu ray I think the bar is just a bit higher after 4 years of hype. Marvel attempted something that hasn't been done before with this bridging but eventually they had five movies build up to something that you said "well that was fun" - while I can totally understand that people enjoy it I guess a lot of the critism comes from the fact that the concept aimed high and settled for average

Sunarep said:
Personally while I enjoyed the movie and for sure will get it on blu ray I think the bar is just a bit higher after 4 years of hype. Marvel attempted something that hasn't been done before with this bridging but eventually they had five movies build up to something that you said "well that was fun" - while I can totally understand that people enjoy it I guess a lot of the critism comes from the fact that the concept aimed high and settled for average

Sunarep .... guess we have different taste as I thought it was FAR better than average. But that's what makes life grand ...... to each their own.

Just got back from the midnight showing. In general I liked it. Maybe I'll post something coherent once I get some sleep... :|

Just came home from watching the Avengers. It was fun and cool. The second after-credits scene was especially awesome.

However, honestly... After thinking about the movie on my way home... I think I prefer any 'single hero' movie from the Marvel Cinematic Universe over the Avengers. Except Iron Man II. And maybe the Incredible Hulk. I don't know. Maybe it's partially because 95% of human beings who watched Avengers were saying how incredibly awesome it is in the thing we know as internets and it somehow skewed my impressions and/or expectations, but I left the theatre really unexcited and underwhelmed.

I thought the script was witty and the cast was great and the action was cool and there was at least a little emotional depth now and then. It was cheesy at times (especially that invisible flying aircraft carrier) and there was too much fighting, but overall I thought it was very entertaining and enjoyable. I expect TDKR to blow it out of the water in terms of artistic quality and cinematic value, but Avengers was still a fun 2 1/2 hours and I'll buy the BD when it comes out.

The two scenes during and after the credits were both great - the first because it was a epic set-up and the second just because it was so pointless.

I think the biggest problem was that there was too little time between the two big action sequences, so it all feels like one HUGE action sequence and it gets tiresome.

And also I hoped that the 'suit 400% charged' bit when Iron Man fights Thor would be a set-up for something incredibly cool in the final fight. It wasn't. ...

EDIT: Oh, and also, I accidentally laughed out loud in the theatre during one moment, and was the only to do so because I'm probably the only one who was there with Russian as his native language. That establishing shot in Russia? There were some signs there and there, and, if you'd translate them in English language, they'd mean 'GFJSSAKKFLFJSL' and 'vcxjsl' and 'ADSLF' and whatnot. Just random letters. Although the Russian dialogue in the interrogation scene was actually correct and well-formed, but spoken with an accent sometimes so heavy that it's hard to believe that any of those people is actually a native Russian speaker.

Finally saw it, just got back. We saw the 2D.

All I can say is I loved it. Everything just felt so right. It wasn't perfect by any means, but I think they didn't miss a beat.

Discovered that my cable company offers discount movie tickets, so my wife and I actually were able to scrape together the money to go. Both very glad that we did.

Lots I could comment on, but I'd just like to say a few words about the

Coulson subplot:

1. Dammit, Whedon, it's Serenity all over again...at least this time it goes on to mean something. This also makes my Coulson, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D idea from a while back have the potential for a much more significant and dramatic conclusion.

2. The trading cards: what could easily have been (and seemed to start off as) a throwaway, Tarantino-esque comic book fanboy moment turns into something much more...and I love that Fury, spymaster and all-around sneaky bastard, leaves nothing to chance by continuing to play them all even after they've figured out his "big" deception of them. That's something the Nick Fury I grew up with (the one Charlton Heston embodies/pays homage to in True Lies) would have done.

hebrides said:
Coulson subplot:

1. Dammit, Whedon, it's Serenity all over again...at least this time it goes on to mean something.

In Whedon's defense...

It was actually Marvel who came up with the death of Coulson. Whedon even said to them, "You know I'm gonna get the blame for this, right?" (Or words to that effect.)
:)

Interesting, UA! Did not know that.
Actually, it wasn't that much of a complaint -- I thought it was well handled in any case. Besides, death is hardly ever final in Marvel ;-)

Not to mention that we never actually SEE Coulson die and Fury is a mother****ing liar. But even if Son of Coul died, he went out with a bang. 'Even I don't know what it does' line was especially awesome.

Agreed. Plus the sheer unexpectedness of the scene/unlikelihood of those particular characters having a scene together at all was quite ingenious. For those of you who are fans of the Whedonverse,
my first thought when I saw Coulson with the big gun was, "It's like Wash holding Vera!" (and in case it's not clear, yes, I did mean Wash -- see "unexpectedness" above)

Farlander said:
Not to mention that we never actually SEE Coulson die...

Must have just watched a different movie! :eek:

Sorry to tell you but he's gone. I mean what of Caulson not able to finish his dying words to Fury, him stop breathing, the camera holding on his lifeless face, the sad music queing in, Fury shaking his head about to cry for his friend, just moments later telling Agent Hill over her earpiece that they just lost Agent Caulson...oh and what of the scene of Fury, Captain, and Stark sitting around the table mourning Caulson's death for a few seconds, then Stark walking off to talk with Captain about Caulson.

We still don't see him die. We saw him lose consciousness, which is normal. And people in real life have survived wounds worse than what Coulson had.

There are three suspicious things:
a) Fury doesn't let Hill to call the medics in, saying they were already there even though they weren't and he didn't call them in
b) Fury faked the blood on Coulson's trading cards for dramatic effect.
c) We haven't seen the actual dead body :p

Fury is a manipulative bastard and both he and Coulson know that Coulson's death is the push that the Avengers need to finally team up. And it works. But I'm not sure Fury is cold-hearted enough to let a person just die, so who knows, maybe he has managed to have secretly sent Coulson to a place where he could be patched up. Maybe he brought his 'own' medics - somebody who for sure wouldn't tell about Coulson's survival.

Now, mind you, I'm not saying that Coulson lives. What I'm saying is that his death was handled VERY smartly in that it's absolutely believable if they bring him back.

I have to say, even though I was satisfied with the entire movie, Coulson's death was the only time I was genuinely surprised. Banner's "I'm always angry" edged a little on the surprise side, but I already expected him to be able to control his transformation.

Back
Top Bottom