• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Terminator Salvation: The Essential Edition

I tried listening in stereo but I had the wrong times because my stupid computer (or program or drive, don't know which) doesn't keep good time. Anyway, I listened to the DVD-5 in 5.1 on my standalone player, and the dropouts are very noticeable at the exact times jamiemark listed. In all three cases, the music in the front L-R speakers drops out for a second or two. It's very noticeable to me in 5.1 because the music does not drop out in the rear speakers.

Sorry thunderclap :-(

Thanks for confirming Professor Frink. I was starting to think it was my ears playing tricks, or something wrong with my Denon receiver.

I do appreciate being told of possible errors jamiemark. It comes down to is the error so grievous that it warrants taking hours to re-encode and re-upload everything.

Since Frink was able to reproduce the problem I took a closer look and I'm still having trouble re-producing it. Maybe it's my setup? I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1 receiver. When I set initially set it up I had the front speakers connected to the front speaker connectors on the receiver and the rear speakers connected to the surround connectors. (Upon my research the surround BACK was if you had the additonal 6th and 7th speaker.) This seemed to work fine until I edited Indy 4.

I was having a problem with rear audio in one scene so on a whim I changed the speakers connection to surround back. This fixed the problem.

(Side note... I think this may be have been due to the audio source of Indy 4. I originally edited from the DVD version using its AC3 audio. I then replaced the video from the BR version but left the audio alone. For TS everything was from the BR version which has a 7.1 mix. Perhaps DVD and BR handle audio differently?)

But now with Terminator Salvation it's the opposite. I discovered that I was receiving NO audio through the rear channels at all. So I switched the connectors on the receiver again (back to surround... NOT surround back) and now I have audio. But I still am not having the issue either of you gentlemen are having. Music doesn't cut out, nor does sound effects. The only audio that disappears briefly is the center channel.

Here is a screen cap of the timeline.

t4timeline.jpg

You can clearly see that the only channels that have audio cut is in the center channel. All other channels are left intact.

So I'm not sure what to do. If I can't reproduce the problem I'm going to have a hard time fixing the problem. I'm not saying either of you are wrong, I just can't fix something I can't hear myself.

If anyone has any suggestions, be it setup on my end, whatever, let me know. I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem.

I didn't notice anything from a technical standpoint but I had re-encoded the film to avi.

When blair gets confronted by the two scavengers though it seems slightly abrupt, maybe there could have been a little more from earlier like her and Marcus arriving at the spot but without the unnecessary topless moment?

thunderclap said:
So I'm not sure what to do. If I can't reproduce the problem I'm going to have a hard time fixing the problem. I'm not saying either of you are wrong, I just can't fix something I can't hear myself.

If anyone has any suggestions, be it setup on my end, whatever, let me know. I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem.
Any update? I'm curious if anyone else has noticed the problem or if anyone has a solution.

TV's Frink said:
thunderclap said:

Any update? I'm curious if anyone else has noticed the problem or if anyone has a solution.

I'm thinking we're SOL Frink. It's a minor annoyance, and no one else has complained.

TV's Frink said:

None. I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Sorry Frink.

thunderclap said:
TV's Frink said:

None. I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Sorry Frink.
Well I was able to reproduce it.
Sorta.

Yes, it's noticeable in stereo when playing back on my computer using VLC.

I double checked in 5.1 (stream to the TV) and glad to say that it's barely noticeable.
I noticed the first and last ones only because I was looking for them (27:29 and 27:46)

So when playing in 5.1, I'd say only the middle one at 27:40 is really noticeable.

No big deal really.

Because to be honest, I actually watched it this past weekend (in 5.1 baby) and didn't notice anything at the time.

Well, something screwy is going on because I found it very noticeable. However, it was very brief each time and I don't want to make a capitol issue out of it.

Moving on...

Well, like I said, to me, only the middle one was very noticeable in 5.1. The other 2 were negligible.

However, all three are much more noticable in stereo.

I forgot to mention that I was watching the DVD version.

Still weird - it was much more noticeable to me in 5.1.

Were you watching the DVD-5 or the AVCHD? I was watching the DVD-5. Would it matter?

Yeah I got the DVD-5.

Not sure about AVCHD version.

I sat between the 2 rear speakers and audio was coming out of them well enough during the 3 instances in question.

The DVD5 and AVCHD (DVD9) version use the same audio file so it should be irrelevant.

zeppelinrox said:
I sat between the 2 rear speakers and audio was coming out of them well enough during the 3 instances in question.
Not to keep yammering on about this, but the rears were fine. It was the front R-L that dropped out.

TV's Frink said:
zeppelinrox said:
Not to keep yammering on about this, but the rears were fine. It was the front R-L that dropped out.

Those never dropped out in my tests. Are you 5.1 or stereo?

I first listened in stereo on my pc and didn't hear any problems.

I then listened in 5.1 on my main player and that's where I heard the front R-L drop out. It's been a little while now so I don't remember exactly, but what I wrote above indicates that it is a music drop out - the music was coming from both front and rears, but the front music disappeared for a moment at each of the three times. I do recall it was very noticeable in that suddenly I was only hearing music from the rear for a brief moment.

The more and more I think about it I have to wonder if one or a couple of us have our entertainment centers set up wrong. I just find it weird that we're all experiencing different things from one audio source. Obviously the receivers are decoding the audio differently, but the question is whose?

Wouldn't an incorrect setup cause a problem throughout the movie rather than three brief moments? Also I've never heard this happen on any of the other fanedits I've watched.

TV's Frink said:
Wouldn't an incorrect setup cause a problem throughout the movie rather than three brief moments?

Good point.

Also I've never heard this happen on any of the other fanedits I've watched.

Except all the other T4 edits, right? :)

Back
Top Bottom