• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Terminator Salvation: The Essential Edition

thunderclap said:
TV's Frink said:
Also I've never heard this happen on any of the other fanedits I've watched.

Except all the other T4 edits, right? :)
Well, I've only watched Spence's, and it was a completely different problem that several other people reported as well.

But yes, this movie is definitely cursed :wink:

Watched the AVCHD last night, damn this is a good looking film.
I dont think I noticed the dropouts but I did notice something was amiss on a subconscious level during the LA jeep chase w/ the hoverbot, as I rewound it and watched the scene again. I didnt notice a big issue but I wasnt really looking for a specific audio problem. I'll take another look tonight.

I did find the transition to Blair being attacked by the 3 hick's abrupt and there was an oddball audio transition after the added "flashback" where music starts to swell and is immediately cut off when we see marcus lying on the waters edge.
Otherwise its a solid edit and does a good job removing a pile of useless shit even though (IMHO) theres more that can go.

Video 10/10 - pristine. as good as 720p will allow.
Audio 9/10 - very nice aside from the transition I noticed and the possible dropout I subconsciously may have noticed.
Editing 8/10 - solid throughout, more can go IMO
Entertainment 6/10 - with the original being 5/10 still a Turdinator anyway you slice it.
AVCHD Authoring 9/10 - I have no frame of reference for AVCHD authoring OTHER than previous Thunderclap releases, they are always nice and this is the best to date.

Final - 8.4 rounded down to 8/10

TV's Frink said:
thunderclap said:
[quote="TV']Also I've never heard this happen on any of the other fanedits I've watched.

Except all the other T4 edits, right? :)
Well, I've only watched Spence's, and it was a completely different problem that several other people reported as well.

But yes, this movie is definitely cursed :wink:[/quote:3rujak3d]
Apparently T4 is indeed cursed... :shock:

elbarto1 said:
I dont think I noticed the dropouts but I did notice something was amiss on a subconscious level during the LA jeep chase w/ the hoverbot, as I rewound it and watched the scene again. I didnt notice a big issue but I wasnt really looking for a specific audio problem. I'll take another look tonight.
I felt the same way when I first watched the scene - I had to rewind and listen again. What I heard (sorry to keep repeating but perhaps it will help you listen for it) is the music drop out of the FRONT R-L speakers for a second or two at each point.

Just watched it, and liked it :)
Maybe some audio trouble during the jeep chase indeed (or was it on the original too?)
reading this thread I must say that I was "prepared" to hear bad audio cuts in that scene, but it was not too distracting after all.
The Blair "rape" scene came maybe a bit to fast also, indeed.
Overall a good polished version.
(Not sure it needs a version 2 only for those little problems.)

TMBTM said:
The Blair "rape" scene came maybe a bit to fast also, indeed.
I watched the first half of the edit this morning and I'm very entertained. The one item that jumped out at me was the same thing TMBTM mentioned, as we're kind of thrown into this scene with Blair surrounded by bad guys out of nowhere.

By the way, I noticed a small typo on .info - the DL AVCHD says RS but the edit is actually on MU.

Ok, time for an update on the audio glitch issue...I think I might have figured out what is going on. I think it was a problem with my sound system settings, not the edit! :oops:

I tried the AVCHD this time, and still had the same problem. I tried a second time, but this time I put my ear right up to the front left speaker. I could definitely hear music continuously, but the volume was pretty low.

Now, with most action movies, I have to turn the center speaker volume up as far as it will go in order to hear the dialogue over the explosions and gunfire and whatnot. But I have noticed that with DTS sound I don't have to do this - the center seems naturally louder for some reason. And when I popped in the Blu-ray, I saw "DTS" on my system.

I realized that I thought I was hearing a dropout because the center speaker had music as well, and the center was cranked all the way up relative to the R-L speakers. All I was really hearing was the music in the center drop out, which makes sense since the dialogue is cut at those three spots. I dialed back the center volume, and voila - no noticeable dropout anymore!

The only thing I don't quite get is why I didn't hear the problem with the center speaker cranked when I checked the Blu-ray. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe it has something to do with converting retail DTS sound to non-DTS fanedit sound?

I already reviewed this on the site, but I'll chime in again here. Technically, the edit was as close to perfect as it could be. Video, even the SL, was great, as was audio. No hard cuts.

I thought the attempted rape scene was fine. The only thing I missed was the two scenes where the attack was coordinated and John told everyone to hold off...minor plot hole. But otherwise, quite good.

Q2 has a very promising career in front of him. :)

Review which I'll repost on FE.org:

I find Terminator Salvation to be an odd movie - not nearly as bad as many of the reviews I've read, but not as good as it could have been. I find it to be a entertaining movie for the most part, providing a neat view of the post-Judgment Day world we've only seen hinted at.

Q2's edit is not a terribly radical cut, but I find it works very well in removing some the stuff that didn't work, mainly the Marcus introduction and the heart transplant. I also like spots where the machines now fail to recognize Kyle, especially in the Skynet Processing line.

I did have a few minor quibbles with the edits.
-When Marcus/Kyle/Star are fleeing the flying machine in their jeep, there's a shot of Kyle clearly speaking but his dialogue is cut
-As others have noted, I found the transition to the attempted rape of Blair came to fast.
-Although the machines no longer recognize Kyle out in the field, when Marcus accesses the Skynet computer to find Kyle, his name is there clear as day.

As I said, these are minor quibbles only. It's still a much better version to watch.

Tech is fantastic, per usual with a Q2 release. Video is very good on the DVD-5 and the AVCHD looks fantastic. Audio is consistently well done as well. The only issue I have with the tech is the lack of chapter stops - it would be nice to get some on future Q2 edits.

I will be watching this one again in the future. 8/10.

i am very much anticipating this edit!!! eager to see the cuts, the audio from Sarah Connor from the first "Terminator" will sound awesome, and most of all the cut of the ending desert scene, + the ending music. just sounds like an all around winner to me.

i was having a conversation with a friend about the "Terminator" series the other day, and asked him what he thought about a "Terminator 5". He asked why, and i told him, well at the end of T Salvation John Connor is a grown man and Reese is a young adult not knowing the story behind the either of them or what they will become. In the original '84 "Terminator" Reese comes to save Sarah from being killed by the T-500 (Arnold). Would it make more sense if they made a Terminator 5 where it shows Reese travel back to the beginning of the story to protect Sarah? Even in Terminator: Salvation near the end all the T-500's had Arnold's face CGI'd.

In my own personal opinion a 5th installment would complete the entire "Terminator" saga. With whoever it may be directing, my ending in mind it would be Reese & Arnold (whoever may play him) traveling back to '84 to protect Sarah Connor from letting John Connor be born, or in Arnold's part killing Sarah so John isn't even conceived or born. I think there could be an amazing installment to the "Terminator" series leading up to the events that begin in the first "Terminator" film.

but hey, i am thinking way to far ahead in the future of films.

i can't wait to see your edit Thunderclap, keep us updated!

^Maybe I've misunderstood, but several comments in your post make it sound like the edit is still being worked on. It's been done and released for a while now. Go get it. :)

scrapesky said:
In the original '84 "Terminator" Reese comes to save Sarah from being killed by the T-500 (Arnold).
T-800.

From my original review:
TV's Frink said:
Although the machines no longer recognize Kyle out in the field, when Marcus accesses the Skynet computer to find Kyle, his name is there clear as day.
So last night I was watching the In-Movie Experience feature on the Blu-Ray (a very cool feature which includes PIP information and branching featurettes, along with integrated scene deconstructions hosted by the director) and I noticed something I somehow missed the first time I watched Salvation.

Marcus accesses the Skynet mainframe to find Kyle's location. He sends the location to Connor, however when Connor shows up at the right cell he's greeted by the Arnie Terminator. So as it turns out, it's not incorrect to cut out all other instances of Skynet recognizing Kyle, because in this case they didn't actually know they had Kyle. They just faked the information in order to lead Connor to Arnie.

Having said that, there's still one thing that doesn't seem to fit. Why is Kyle in his own cell? Maybe because of the reason he was pulled out of line in the first place - for grabbing a weapon? (as opposed to the original version where he is recognized).

Thoughts?

TV's Frink said:
Marcus accesses the Skynet mainframe to find Kyle's location. He sends the location to Connor, however when Connor shows up at the right cell he's greeted by the Arnie Terminator. So as it turns out, it's not incorrect to cut out all other instances of Skynet recognizing Kyle, because in this case they didn't actually know they had Kyle. They just faked the information in order to lead Connor to Arnie.

Yet somehow the the flying terminators ID Kyle. So the little piddly terminators are programmed with Kyle's info and the main Skynet isn't?

Aw crap, you're right.

I think my theory fits in your edit, however, where those little guys don't know what he looks like either.

TV's Frink said:
From my original review:
Having said that, there's still one thing that doesn't seem to fit. Why is Kyle in his own cell? Maybe because of the reason he was pulled out of line in the first place - for grabbing a weapon? (as opposed to the original version where he is recognized).

Thoughts?
Simple. Kyle was not grabbed for getting that "weapon" (also note that the weapon he grabs is a different weapon then the one he usesd to stab the T-600). Kyle was grabbed because he was put on a machine for skin analyses. Those machines with people on them are used for skin research for creating the skin used for the infiltration Terminators ("Arnie in the flesh"). Like the other people in the same machines:

t4del21-03.jpg

or the one in the background:
t4del32-03.jpg

I know this doesn't make sense at all (actually, nothing makes sense in Terminator Salvation). Why put the number 1 of your hitlist on such a table or in a holding cell. Why not kill him immediately?

Can you please re-upload part 24 of the AVCHD DVD9? I've been trying to get the file for days and jDownloader keeps telling me "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

Thanks.

mikeveli20 said:
Can you please re-upload part 24 of the AVCHD DVD9? I've been trying to get the file for days and jDownloader keeps telling me "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

I no longer have the archived files. The best I could do is re-up a new version, but you'd probably have to download everything, not just part 24. I can't do this for a couple of weeks though as my condo is being renovated and I have limited computer access.

Does someone else have this file that they can up? Otherwise keep trying to download the file. It's listed in the manager so I'm not sure why it's not being found.

Back
Top Bottom