• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Terminator 2 - Hands of Fate

Throw can correct this if wiki is wrong:
"Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat."

TV's Frink said:

Of course it is!

Cyberdining could be the next craze to sweep the internet, you know.

Captain Khajiit said:
Wheat are you talking about now? I can barley understand you Americans! :grin:
hahahahahaha

TV's Frink said:
interesting. I didn't know it was a hexaploid species, but I knew it was pretty much wheat. and really good for you.

Captain Khajiit said:
[quote="TV']Throw can correct this if wiki is wrong:

Of course it is!

Cyberdining could be the next craze to sweep the internet, you know.[/quote:3w0zmsfq]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the jokes are all falling into place now. well done Cap'n

ok, back on track...

TMBTM said:
Just watch the begining of the AVI for now (I was too sleepy and started the viewing too late), I really liked the (no more) Bad To The Bone scene, but I feel like you could also cut the arrival of the T-1000 completely, only see him the first time as a random cop knocking at the stepfamily's door (just cutting the T-1000 dark theme). That way the audience would guess: so here is someone who knows about the Terminator being around, that must be the guy send by the humans.
I guess you already thought about cutting the T-1000 arrival (?), does this scene really need to stay for a reason that did not pop in my mind?
Its an interesting idea. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. Introducing him later may seem a bit like he comes out of nowhere. I still sort of like the idea of him transporting in early. We dont know who he is, and might assume he is from the humans. It sort of mirrors T1 with seeing Kyle come back. Though he does take out a cop in the beginning, potentially inferring that he is bad, it doesnt necessarily imply that. The humans have to be pretty desperate to save John and Sarah, and one cop in the way is small matters.

So to sum it up, I think I prefer how it originally was, and how I left it in this fanedit, though you do pose an interesting idea.

Ok so, I cheated and watched all the bonus features last night before the fanedit itself. I figured I have seen T2 so many times its not really going to spoil anything.

First off, I was so very impressed w/ the dvd layout and menus I dread making my meager True Lies menu. This is one of, if not THE most professional fanedit menus I've seen (keywords: I'VE SEEN) its better than most of the official T2 menus IMO.
I need to pick your brain on a few techniques you used there but that can wait...

The Easter eggs were all great fun, its been a while since I have seen that cat :lol:

Most impressive was the featurette, not even touching the actual 'bad to the bone' scene reconstruction work you did - the presentation of the featurette from Jay Sherman to the Picture in Picture to the still Photography of the soundtrack and Vegas - this was awe inspiring work and once again reduces my upcoming True Lies featurette to mere table scraps - Dont mind my self deprecation, I intend it all as complimentary - the best part is I havent even watched the film yet!

Job well done, my hat is off to your expertise and I cant wait to see the actual film.

TV's Frink said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
There is no jive-talking Arnie in this edit. :smile:
Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just wanted to let you know, were all counting on you.

What Elbarto said above is just a few of the reasons I said this...
TV's Frink said:
I'm sure I'll love it :)
...without having seen a second of the edit. I just knew this would be one slick presentation. And since I'm quoting myself...

TV's Frink is very excited about having downloaded the first two rar files so far!

TV's Frink appears to have picked up the habit of talking in the third person.

Sluggo said:
TV's Frink appears to have picked up the habit of talking in the third person.
TV's Frink was going for exactly that. And TV's Frink would like to apologize for derailing this thread yet again.

Just finished watching this. I could not stop smiling during the scene when Arnold steps outside the biker bar and gets his gun and sunglasses WITHOUT Bad to the Bone playing. I had been waiting to see that for so long. Other than that, while I understand taking out some of Arnie's lines (though I never really had a problem with them), I was confused about why you took out Arnold jumping the bike. Sure there's a continuity error since the edge goes from pointy to flat, but I found the cut a little jarring. Suddenly, Arnold is already there.

But either way, thanks for making this. You did a superb job. 5 stars.

tylerdurden389 said:
I was confused about why you took out Arnold jumping the bike. Sure there's a continuity error since the edge goes from pointy to flat, but I found the cut a little jarring. Suddenly, Arnold is already there.
Yes, it is a continuity error, and I also think its over-the-top. That chase scene was ridiculously long, and this was the first to go to tighten it up. The last shot of Arnie prior to when he is in the canal is of him crossing the road, through the fence and towards the canal. It is a natural downhill past the fence and it seemed to me obvious that he was heading down. It didn't seem that jarring to me, but maybe others share your view? As it is, I am rather happy with how that scene plays out, sorry it didn't work as well for you

tylerdurden389 said:
But either way, thanks for making this. You did a superb job. 5 stars.
Thanks for the kind words :) glad you liked it

ThrowgnCpr said:
The last shot of Arnie prior to when he is in the canal is of him crossing the road, through the fence and towards the canal. It is a natural downhill past the fence and it seemed to me obvious that he was heading down. It didn't seem that jarring to me, but maybe others share your view?
I am on the fence about this one. I actually agree with the reasoning, and used it myself on this scene. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason it seems fine while working on the edit, but feels unnatural when playing back the full scene. It's an annoying oddity.

UA are you working on a T2 edit?

On and off, yeah.

PM me if you feel like it. Don't wanna clog Throw's thread. :)

Just watched the edit, Throw. It's absolutely amazing work! Many congratulations!

The featurette in the special features was really professional. It was scary to see how much you'd put into that reworked scene! When do you find time to sleep?

I left you a review with my thoughts about the edit. I hope you find them constructive. :)

wow, fantastic Captain Khajiit!!! I am glad you liked it so much. And yes, I found the review constructive. Good points on some of the scenes that could have been cut. But I am still happy I left those in :)

I just finished watching the AVI of "Hands of Fate" and wanted to tip a review your way.

First off, this is an almost perfect technical presentation. In terms of audio and video, the only place I was taken out of the edit was the "No problemo" line, where the shot was far too short. That's it. The lack of "Bad to the Bone," which others have praised, completely deserves it. It sounds like you didn't use Brad Fiedel's score right here, which is a personal preference, but it's not distracting enough to be up in arms about. A really fantastic job.

However, I would definitely consider doing a Version 2 simply because the movie drags about an hour and a half in. As I recall, James Cameron addressed this himself at how you don't see the T-1000 for 40 minutes or so in the Special Edition. Likewise, the "Hands of Fate" edit could do with more cutting in this area.

They stop at several locations, one of which has no plot payoff except to create largely unneeded drama in this area (I'm talking about the spot where Sarah eats a sandwich). If kept, then it needs to be truncated, as the movie has started and needs to keep momentum. The film needs to get to Dyson as quickly as possible, but it seems like they're gearing up for 20 minutes of the movie (seems like, not necessarily that they are). In terms of accelerating pace, I would stick to the theatrical cut versus the special edition.

Also, and this is a nitpicky suggestion, but there's still humor in the film that seems largely superfluous. The "smiling Terminator" scene isn't necessary, as, if I recall, it was not in the theatrical. Also, John gets Terminator to stick his leg up. If you could cut to John ordering Terminator to deal with the thugs, I think it would make John less of a normal kid and more of the kid that Sarah raised him to be.

All in all, a wonderful technical edit that needs more trims. Perhaps a "serious" version of the theatrical? Just shooting out ideas. Thanks!

eldiablosuizo said:
They stop at several locations, one of which has no plot payoff except to create largely unneeded drama in this area (I'm talking about the spot where Sarah eats a sandwich). If kept, then it needs to be truncated, as the movie has started and needs to keep momentum.

eldiablosuizo said:
Perhaps a "serious" version of the theatrical? Just shooting out ideas. Thanks!

I think these are good ideas, if another faneditor wants to have a go at some point. I felt the pace dragged a little at certain points as well, but I knew Throw only intended to do a light edit and I always feel this way about any version with the special edition footage in, so I didn't mention it in my review. Throw's version was definitely better than the SE in terms of pace. A darker tighter-paced theatrical version would definitely be something to see at some point though.

I am one of the very few weirdos who actually like the extended special edition ending. I understand why people don't like it, but the great thing about it is that it categorically ends the series with T2, and I can forget T3 ever happened. (I know I could choose to do that anyway, but it's nice to see what you wish had happened on screen.)

eldiablosuizo said:
I just finished watching the AVI of "Hands of Fate" and wanted to tip a review your way.

First off, this is an almost perfect technical presentation. In terms of audio and video, the only place I was taken out of the edit was the "No problemo" line, where the shot was far too short. That's it. The lack of "Bad to the Bone," which others have praised, completely deserves it. It sounds like you didn't use Brad Fiedel's score right here, which is a personal preference, but it's not distracting enough to be up in arms about. A really fantastic job.
Thanks for the comments. glad you enjoyed. As for the music selection. It IS Brad Fiedel, however, its not from T2, but rather the first Terminator film. As I explain in the DVD featurette, its from the scene where Arnie performs eye surgery on himself. I know that it is stylistically a bit different from the T2 score, but I thought it was the best option I had.

eldiablosuizo said:
However, I would definitely consider doing a Version 2 simply because the movie drags about an hour and a half in. As I recall, James Cameron addressed this himself at how you don't see the T-1000 for 40 minutes or so in the Special Edition. Likewise, the "Hands of Fate" edit could do with more cutting in this area.

They stop at several locations, one of which has no plot payoff except to create largely unneeded drama in this area (I'm talking about the spot where Sarah eats a sandwich). If kept, then it needs to be truncated, as the movie has started and needs to keep momentum. The film needs to get to Dyson as quickly as possible, but it seems like they're gearing up for 20 minutes of the movie (seems like, not necessarily that they are). In terms of accelerating pace, I would stick to the theatrical cut versus the special edition.
I won't disagree with you. I think the special edition has rather shitty pacing, and I totally prefer the theatrical cut over it. That said, as I have, and Captain Khajiit also said, this was meant as a light edit, and a bit of a hybrid between the two extreme cuts. I think people do need to get over the T2 is a sacred cow mentality, and try some things with the film.

eldiablosuizo said:
All in all, a wonderful technical edit that needs more trims. Perhaps a "serious" version of the theatrical? Just shooting out ideas. Thanks!
Again, thanks :) ...and I would totally be up for watching that T2 edit. you should take a stab at it!

eldiablosuizo said:
Also, and this is a nitpicky suggestion, but there's still humor in the film that seems largely superfluous. The "smiling Terminator" scene isn't necessary, as, if I recall, it was not in the theatrical. Also, John gets Terminator to stick his leg up. If you could cut to John ordering Terminator to deal with the thugs, I think it would make John less of a normal kid and more of the kid that Sarah raised him to be.
Well, I think some balance is needed. Not in terms of comic relief, as I don't see some of the scenes as that, but as for John teaching Arnie about human emotion. Although the scenes plays out a bit silly, and perhaps they could be excised, I think it shows really well that Arnie is learning about humans (and not just stupid Jive talk). This is what makes the Terminators really scary, the fact that they can learn and mimic! Finding a balance in the film was tough, and I think I did a pretty good job at excising the silliest moments, yet keeping things that stilled showed the learning ability.

Captain Khajiit said:
I am one of the very few weirdos who actually like the extended special edition ending. I understand why people don't like it, but the great thing about it is that it categorically ends the series with T2, and I can forget T3 ever happened. (I know I could choose to do that anyway, but it's nice to see what you wish had happened on screen.)
Even if T3 (or SCC, or Salvation) never existed, I would still totally prefer the theatrical ending. The special edition wraps everything up cutely, and leaves you with no sense of wonder or imagination for what possibly happens next. Let's face it, we don't give a shit about John's typical suburbia life. However with the theatrical ending, we are so curious and want more (even if we never get more). "OMG, what happens in the future?" "Is Judgment Day really prevented?" "Will the machines send more Terminators back?" Its thrilling to think of what could happen. I love this feeling after a good book or movie. IMO, the special edition ending really robs us of that.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Even if T3 (or SCC, or Salvation) never existed, I would still totally prefer the theatrical ending. The special edition wraps everything up cutely, and leaves you with no sense of wonder or imagination for what possibly happens next. Let's face it, we don't give a shit about John's typical suburbia life. However with the theatrical ending, we are so curious and want more (even if we never get more). "OMG, what happens in the future?" "Is Judgment Day really prevented?" "Will the machines send more Terminators back?" Its thrilling to think of what could happen. I love this feeling after a good book or movie. IMO, the special edition ending really robs us of that.

Fair enough, mate! :smile: I wasn't suggesting this for your edit at all: I only mentioned it as we had sort of moved on to talking about future edits. You 100% made the right choice for Hands of Fate, and the ESE ending wouldn't have fit your vision for the edit at all.

I just didn't like whole idea of T3 or SCC - even before they turned out to be awful - and I prefer to wrap the series up with T2. Haven't seen Terminator Salvation, as I'm waiting for the blu ray, but as it's a prequel I guess I could find a place for it in my own personal Terminator universe! What did you think of it?

yeah, I figured thats what you meant by talking about the SE ending. Its all cool. hehe, and I am glad someone likes it.

I haven't seen Salvation yet. I was pretty busy with work when it came out, and haven't had a chance to view it yet. I have really really REALLY low expectations for it, so hopefully I get entertained a bit. I also haven't seen all of SCC yet. Only watched the first season. I actually enjoyed what I saw though. It had a lot of stupid TV crap tacked on, but overall I didn't think it was that bad. I heard the second season got pretty dumb though.

As for T3, I really think that T-HOPE and Uncanny Antman did fantastic jobs with it. It totally saves the film for me. While its still not as good as 1 or 2, they are at least versions of the film I can enjoy a lot, and fit in OK with the series.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I haven't seen Salvation yet. I was pretty busy with work when it came out, and haven't had a chance to view it yet. I have really really REALLY low expectations for it, so hopefully I get entertained a bit. I also haven't seen all of SCC yet. Only watched the first season. I actually enjoyed what I saw though. It had a lot of stupid TV crap tacked on, but overall I didn't think it was that bad. I heard the second season got pretty dumb though.

I suggest you lower your expectations for Salvation even more. Its asinine and has no business existing but it looks really nice...

TSCC season 2 had about 4-5 great episodes (if you liked season 1) but there is alot of garbage in there.
The dvd's drop next month and I cant wait to rewatch s2 as I actually liked the series as a "extended universe" release, like a comic book and was sad when it was canceled.

ThrowgnCpr said:
As for T3, I really think that T-HOPE and Uncanny Antman did fantastic jobs with it. It totally saves the film for me. While its still not as good as 1 or 2, they are at least versions of the film I can enjoy a lot, and fit in OK with the series.

Agreed, its actually a good film now - cant wait to see what we get from the community once salvation gets released.

Back
Top Bottom