• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

SW: Shadows of the Old Republic (v2) - AVI Now Available

Awesome,
This looks really interesting,
will there be a torrent version?

antman said:
Nice idea. This edit feels quite schizophrenic, with no real transition between some scenes, or explanation of what is actually supposed ot be going on, especially in the Phantom Menace part. If I hadn't already seen the Phantom Menace, I would have no idea what was happening.
Rock Savage said:
This edit has a very awkward feel. The pacing and narrative are very unsettled. There are also some very strange wipes and abrupt cuts.
So, evidently this new edit is "awkward", "unsettling", "abrupt", and "schizophrenic"... :(

Anybody else feel the same?

Not here, but I would love it if you hid Vader's identity by removing the "rebirth" scenes (although I do like how you cut away when Vader begins to spew out his lines). Good edit, and I like to see it transfered to DVD soon enough.

DVD Architect is now working A-OK - I removed the previous version of the program (4.0) from my system and now DVD Architect 4.5 is working just like it used to. :)

Has anybody else had a chance to watch or review the edit yet? :oops:

JasonN,

I finally had a chance to watch the edit. My initial thoughts from the first viewing are very positive.

I absolutly loved the idea of making Padme and the Queen Sisters, and padme remaining on Naboo. That fixed the largest problem I was having when I did my edit, getting Qui-Gon and Obi-wan into the hanger to face off against Maul. It also opened up many more scenes, both action and story, to incorporate into the edit that previously were unusable because Padme was there.

Incorporating Anakin into episode 2 was fantastic, I didn't think I'd like it, but I thought part 2 was done VERY well. It could easily be assumed he was currently Yoda's padawan. And then when palpatine comments on him finally getting his own assignment, becoming more powerful than MASTER yoda, it also allows you to wonder how long Palpatine has been "teaching" and molding Anakin. Actually makes Palpatine even more of a father figure, making Anakins actions in episode 3 more believable. Anakin had too many father figures in the prequals, Qui-Gon, then Obi-wan, then Palpatine, but in this edit, Palpatine is the only father figure. I also like how you treated the trip to Tatooine. When he arrives he already discovers her to be dead, thus eliminating some of the very worst scenes in the entire trilogy, while still accomplishing what needed to be accomplished. In episode 3, I liked they way you handled order 66, eliminated the silly palpatine/yoda battle, and re-edited the final duel. You really cut out the fat, and made it more enjoyable.

As far as some constuctive criticism, I think part 2 and 3 are just fine, but part 1 was a little rough. I had a hard time following the story, and when Obi-wan and Qui-gon meet Jar Jar, and then the very next scene they are preparing for battle, it was the hardest jump to follow, a scene in between these scenes would have helped dramatically. I'm also not a big fan of the gungan battle being incorporated. For just a 20 minute short-film, the movie became too big, too quick, and too complicated at this point. It just never flowed smoothly to me. I think it would work better, if part 1 remained focused on a small rebel group, working from the inside, but that is just my opinion.

Overall, I enjoyed your edit immensly and you've thrown out some ideas nobody else has thought of. It was a refreshing edit which I hope makes it to a DVD release on the site.

I'm going to try another edit of episode 1 for fun utilizing both your ideas and my previous ideas.. I'll send you a private message with a link to download my re-edit of part 1 when it's complete, and if you choose to release it, or use it, that will be your call. I'm just doing it for myself and have no intention of posting it otherwise.

Thanks JasonN, well done.

jra166 - I know you said you are doing your own version for your own use, but any chance of getting a DVD on rapidshare? I for one would love to see it.

JasonN - any update on the DVD for this or for Matrix Evolutions? Unfortunately I don't like to watch movies on my PC.....

Thanks

Hello?

***crickets chirping***

Hey blick57,

I want to keep this thread about JasonN's work. I posted a new idea and clip I'd love to get your feedback on in my old 'Dark Times' thread. Any discussion on my own edit, I will put there. If I ever complete it, I will consider releasing it if people are interested.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4141&p=69081#p69081

JasonN - GREAT EDIT!!! Not an easy one, to be sure but very enjoyable.

BEST PART - The final Duel is not as fast and powerful as the Maul fight, very good symmetry, excellent timing there, and the ending .. you actually made it heartbreaking ;) to see Anakin like that, great great great job!!!

NEEDS WORK - mostyl the wipes/fades could use better work and timing, and for some reason it seemed to me that the music was WAY louder than the dialog.

DOT CARE FOR - "EQUEESE ME" is still there... and Qui-GOn and Obi keep referring to trade negations, perhaps with some finer trimming and possibly changing the Neimdians to an alien voice (allowing you to change their dialouge to reflect the ENSLAVEMENT beat you added) would help.

GREAT JOB man for now, It's my fav PREQUEL EDIT, followed by the Phantom Editors work. Great job, like the MATRIX you've made the unwatchable, watchable. Keep it up!!!!!!!

Hey JasonN - any update on DVD versions of your work? Just wondering...

Wow, how I missed this, I'm not sure. Not a huge SW buff, but I liked the OT alright (I'd watch them again on my own accord hehe). This sounds great. Looking forward to this on DVD.

I need to fix up the ac3 file before I make the final DVD version (to correct the "quiet" dialogue and increase the volume of the previous 5.1 surround mix) - after that's done, I'll be sending this to Throw along with several other of my Edits for Rapidshare upload.

Awesome! Thanks, JasonN (and Throw)

Lately, I've been thinking about this old project and while I genuinely prefer and enjoy my 3 individual SW Prequel edits over this 3-in-1 edit, I realize that it'd probably be a good thing to have a DVD version for my faneditor history (plus I know there are some people who genuinely enjoy the edit and would want a DVD release of it). I've also decided to improve/refine the SOTOR edit, thanks to new video/audio editing techniques and skills that I've learned since first creating it a year and a half ago.

I'll start work on this DVD after I finished doing the improved DVD releases of my 3 Prequel edits.

Awesome. I still think a one-film version of this flawed saga could be the best way to redeem the prequels - especially since there's so much fodder to cut out - , and SOTOR is one of my favorite examples of such a difficult project.

Kudos for going back and polishing your work.

JasonN said:
I've also decided to improve/refine the SOTOR edit, thanks to new video/audio editing techniques and skills that I've learned since first creating it a year and a half ago.

I really liked this idea and enjoyed the edit; although, like others, I found the story a little disjointed at times. Have you any ideas at the moment about improvements you might make to the plot?

Captain Khajiit said:
I really liked this idea and enjoyed the edit; although, like others, I found the story a little disjointed at times. Have you any ideas at the moment about improvements you might make to the plot?
So far:
- For the EP1 segment, I'll probably be cutting Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan meeting Jar Jar Binks in the swamp (so Jar Jar is now hardly seen and never heard in the edit). I'll also most likely be adding back Queen Amidala's discussion with Senator Palpatine over Chancellor Valorum and corruption in the Senate (because of that, some scene rearrangement may take place).

- Still haven't decided on whether or not I'll be giving Dooku and Yoda purple lightsabers (like in my main Prequel edits).

- I'll still be keeping Leia and her birth with Luke in this edit's ending.

That all sounds good. I would vote no for purple lightsabres - if I get a vote, that is :smile:.

"So far" implies some futher changes might be in store, so I shall keep an eye on this one. :)

Back
Top Bottom