• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Superman Reimagined...

Neglify said:
NewSpock, here are some examples of really great fanedit trailers. I'm posting this to help you improve your skills.

P2 by blueyoda

Cop Land: The Thin Blue Line by Gatos
(Note, this fanedit was abandoned, but it's one of my favorite trailers)

Pulp Empire by njvc

Jack & Jill Extended Edition by Neglify (shameless self-promotion)

Thanks Neglify, they are really good, I like the copland one the most, followed by the piranha one (and both of them say nothing about the fanedit itself, just great trailers for the movie).:)

P.S.: Yours is also very funny.:)

addiesin said:
Based on the trailer I have figured out this edit's plot.
First we're introduced to old man Superman, played by Marlon Brando, telling his life story to the last 3 people on Earth. But they don't want to hear it so he leaves. He tells it to himself anyway as he walks away from them. Flashback: He started in the 70s, played by Christopher Reeves, when Shaft was popular. He did things like chase missiles, stop couples from adopting naked children in fields, catch helicopters, and stare at Lois like a stalker from next to her driver's side window. No wonder nobody is left around during the Marlon Brando segments. Superman's weird.

Now there's an idea.:-D

I give up. The blame is on me for expecting history to not repeat itself.

Kal-El said:
You mean the triangular representation from the film? Because the actual Phantom Zone is more of a location :)

I didn't watch the trailer. I heard Shaft, facepalmed, and turned it off.

Yes I was thinking about an abstract representation, like the front. The flat glass representation might suffice.

(I find the trailer isn't really a trailer. Long talking scenes don't work, and music overlays them anyway, so doesn't gel right. No reflection on the edit.)

^ But that is the whole point.

The trailer is suppose to reflect the edit!!!!!!

As usual, from what has been posted, not only do I not have any idea what the fan edit is about but it has actually caused me to lose interest in watching it. :-(

I think you are right, the problem is that the tone and style is too funny for the edit and therefore not emotionally engaging like it should be.

In the spirit of the ridiculousness unwakens:

superman unmagined

["unimagined" is too legit.]

Here's a second trailer for it:

Password: Krypton

^Better. But still doesn't say what the edit represents. Some faneditors simply TELL you in their trailer. After all, it's not an original movie, you're FIXING it. So why not simply use some cue cards and tell us what you've fixed.

Great example:
[MENTION=25898]samspider3[/MENTION] uses a map to tell the story of his Hobbit 1+2 fanedit:

^ Indeed. I'm no good at making trailers but the best fanedit ones I've watched tell you what the edit is. Sometimes using titles, sometimes using before/after cuts, sometimes showing the actual changed shots. Creating a new "traditional" style trailer, is just making a new trailer to promote the original movie (Not one's fanedit)... no matter how awesome it might be.

Thanks, Kal-El and TM2YC, that is all true but I don't think that it is absolutely necessary for a fanedit trailer to actually tell anything about the fanedit. Some of the best fanedit-trailers made don't and yet many people love them.

I think the mainjob of a trailer is to get people into a mood that they would want to watch the edit, to be reflective of the edit itself and to be somewhat emotionally engaging. Being explicitly informative about the edit's features itself is an option but not the only one. It's also possible to view the edit as a sort of "new" movie, and then to just make a trailer for that "new" movie.

The second trailer does that in a way, though not as emotionally engaging as the best trailers presented by Neglify up there.

Interesting sidenote: My wacky "funny" first trailer got about 30 views, my second more "traditional" trailer about 8 views. If a trailer's job were only to gain attention, the first one would be more successful.
But then maybe it was just because it was the first or because it was criticized so much, that people got curious or... because the shaft-music is just too awesome to resist.:)

Much better trailer. Though I do agree with Kal-el, that the trailer really does not tell us what makes this particular edit special or how it may differ from other Superman I and II hybrid cuts.

From an editing perspective, since you chose to use the movie opening credit music, I probably would have used the recurring "whoosh" sound as my transition point from clip to clip, to match the music pacing and inject some energy into the trailer.

bionicbob said:
From an editing perspective, since you chose to use the movie opening credit music, I probably would have used the recurring "whoosh" sound as my transition point from clip to clip, to match the music pacing and inject some energy into the trailer.

Good idea, didn't think about that, thanks.

NewSpock said:
Interesting sidenote: My wacky "funny" first trailer got about 30 views, my second more "traditional" trailer about 8 views. If a trailer's job were only to gain attention, the first one would be more successful.
But then maybe it was just because it was the first or because it was criticized so much, that people got curious or... because the shaft-music is just too awesome to resist.:)

I think people really liked my synopsis :)

another trailer attribute that's desirable: brevity.

instead of lingering on a scene (ok when watching a feature, not so much for a trailer—you'll lose your audience), you could show a series of scenes, the bits you feel reflect your edit best.

i concur with kal-el's idea of using cue cards to convey your changes/editing approach; otherwise, you're not giving enough information to the viewer so that he/she can make up his mind about your edit.

trailers that are 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes are too long, imo. try to shoot for 1.5 minutes.

There's really no hard and fast rules about what a fanedit trailer must consist of. TM2YC and BionicBob are right in that a lot of great trailers give you an idea of what has changed with the fanedit. But I agree with NewSpock that not every FE trailer needs to do that, and that the main goal of the trailer is to put you in a mood to want to see the movie.

Because I'm self-indulgent I'm going to show a few more of my trailers to give examples.

Boogie Nights Extended Edition

Use of title cards to explain the changes. 20 minutes of deleted scenes are added. More cocaine, more nudity, etc.

Scream - The Giallo Cut

Says very little about what has changed. The only detail I give is that I added music from Goblin. But you see the VHS look and you feel how the music changes the atmosphere of the film.

Say Anything Extended Edition

Honestly this is one of my favorite trailers I've done. I tell you nothing except the title and give you just a glimpse of the movie.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that every trailer is different, there's not a checklist or guideline of what has to be in a trailer or how a trailer has to be done.

But I do have some suggestions:

1) Keep it under 2 minutes 30 seconds. Longer than that and the attention starts to wander.
2) Pick a song that ties into the movie. Don't just slap the Star Wars theme over a Transformers trailer.
3) Find the rhythm of the music and edit the images to flow with it.
4) You don't necessarily need dialogue in a trailer, but don't put in shots of characters talking when we can't hear them. SHOW, don't tell.

Neglify said:
But I do have some suggestions:

1) Keep it under 2 minutes 30 seconds. Longer than that and the attention starts to wander.
2) Pick a song that ties into the movie. Don't just slap the Star Wars theme over a Transformers trailer.
3) Find the rhythm of the music and edit the images to flow with it.
4) You don't necessarily need dialogue in a trailer, but don't put in shots of characters talking when we can't hear them. SHOW, don't tell.

Someone should start a trailer suggestion thread, and invite Hollywood to read it too. These are good suggestions, neg, but if I may suggest a change, I would strive to keep the trailer around 1 min 30 sec or less. Recent trailers have a tendency to show far too much, and excitement can really die off after 2 minutes. The trailer shouldn't be "the movie in roughly 2 minutes," it should be a promotion for the film. From our perspective, the trailer should be a promotion for the fanedit, i.e., show people why they should watch your edit of the film, instead of the original or a different fanedit. That often includes showing what you changed.

Hey NewSpock I apologize for taking so long. I saw the edit last week but I got a little busy.

First off I gotta say I like how you made the earth's shockwaves shatter the phantom zone. It connects both films nicely, but what put me off was how there is a lot of STM scenes in there that could have been trimmed to make way for more SII footage, since I feel the balance is a bit off.

STM is very slow paced so I think some scenes could be trimmed or omitted completely, since the action takes place in the third act. I think the Kryptonian trial could have been replaced with the one from the Donner Cut to save time and still get the message across. Also the dragged out talk Jor-El has with the council could have been trimmed to the essentials, for example.

And now that the missile stuff is not the climax because of the Metropolis Battle, you could trim that too, to put more emphasis on Superman turning the earth back because of Lois, therefore disregarding Jor-El's warnings.

Also directly transitioning from Lois and Clark making googly eyes at each other to both of them at Honeymoon Haven and Clark already having exposed his secret identity with little to no explanation is quite a bit of a jarring transition for me.

In STM Lois still ignores Clark so maybe show them on the Niagara Falls assignment (Lester's room tour for the necessary exposition), and then the pink bear scene. That way you show their relationship progressing.

Oh and personally I think the corny fortress battle between Supes and the trio is just pointlessly repetitive, but thats my personal opinion :)-P). Some people love it (cos Superman in action).

So those are the issues I see with the preview as it is now. I hope this doesn't put you off because you can create the best action packed adventure edit, because you can afford to throw out the boring banter and dragged out conversations to make way for whats important :D

Back
Top Bottom