• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman Reimagined...

Update: The edit is coming along nicely. The only thing I fear might be a problem, is that 3 hours might be a tad too long.

NewSpock said:
The only thing I fear might be a problem, is that 3 hours might be a tad too short.

^ Fixed that for you :p.

But seriously, this sounds like an intersting edit. The only thing I'd say about runtime is that Superman1 for me starts very slowly in the first act. Back in the day when an audience needed carefully introduced to the Superman concept it was appropraite. But now it's just "Come on and get to the flying an saving sh*t!". It doesn't need a drastic cut but could benefit from a few trims to get though that Smallville portion quicker.

TM2YC said:
^ Fixed that for you :p.

But seriously, this sounds like an intersting edit. The only thing I'd say about runtime is that Superman1 for me starts very slowly in the first act. Back in the day when an audience needed carefully introduced to the Superman concept it was appropraite. But now it's just "Come on and get to the flying an saving sh*t!". It doesn't need a drastic cut but could benefit from a few trims to get though that Smallville portion quicker.

Thanks for the interest, TM2YC.:) I think it has quite some charm to it to start slowly as it lets the viewer get invested in Clark and the movie gets that epic feeling. But there's is one thing I recut in the smallville-portion and that is the run against the train, it doesn't look convincing enough seeing Clark's feet, so I just show his upper body.

Maybe you can reduce some of the Smallville stuff to flashbacks, if that works well with the narration. And I think you can cut out most of (if not all of) the Krypton scenes for flashbacks, especially the Kryptonian trial, which you could move to the fortress exposition in place of Jor-El's summary. The edit could begin with the planet exploding and Kal-El's ship whizzing toward earth. If you want to use some of the 'this planet will explode in 30 days' dialogue, you could maybe have it as a voice over or something just to help along with the sequence.
It would feel like the theatrical SII and Man of Steel, where you'd pick up with action and little back story, but these are just my guesses on how they'd fit in your edit. Practicality wise I have no idea how it could be executed or how they could work, so, just fumbling for ideas.

MWRK said:
Maybe you can reduce some of the Smallville stuff to flashbacks, if that works well with the narration. And I think you can cut out most of (if not all of) the Krypton scenes for flashbacks, especially the Kryptonian trial, which you could move to the fortress exposition in place of Jor-El's summary. The edit could begin with the planet exploding and Kal-El's ship whizzing toward earth. If you want to use some of the 'this planet will explode in 30 days' dialogue, you could maybe have it as a voice over or something just to help along with the sequence.
It would feel like the theatrical SII and Man of Steel, where you'd pick up with action and little back story, but these are just my guesses on how they'd fit in your edit. Practicality wise I have no idea how it could be executed or how they could work, so, just fumbling for ideas.

Thanks, that is a good idea. Cutting the smallville part down is practically possible, there are multiple ways to do it. But for me the classical slow start is a major bonus over the way for example Man of Steel handled it, so I want to preserve this strength.

NewSpock said:
Thanks, that is a good idea. Cutting the smallville part down is practically possible, there are multiple ways to do it. But for me the classical slow start is a major bonus over the way for example Man of Steel handled it, so I want to preserve this strength.

The edit is called Reimagined, though. With a name like that I'd expect some big changes.

I agree, the classic start is one of my favorite things about the film, but when you think of trying to merge it with its 2 hour sequel(s) to make one film man, this kind of stuff becomes bloat, that's my opinion. If you wanna preserve the intro then a lot of other scenes will have to be heavily trimmed to make it under 3 hours. If you can manage them in a way that non of the crucial scenes/dialogues get axed though, that'd be a great thing for the edit.

There's no need to worry, I wouldn't cut it under 3 hours if anything crucial would be missed.

Cool :) It would be great to see some of your work you've done so far, just snippets of some of the edits you've done to see where you're going with it.

addiesin said:
The edit is called Reimagined, though. With a name like that I'd expect some big changes.

Agreed, that title rises expectations, and sometimes these expectations are too high. I'm all in favour of reimagining sequences or even whole movies as much as possible, but only if the reimagining creates something better than the original sequence or movie.

In order to manage expectations, I'll have to explain in the ifdb listing, that this is not some wild reimagining. This is still Superman, just in a single movie of under 3 hours and with the changes necessary to make it feel like a single movie and changes to improve things as much as possible (most of the changes are with Superman II).

@ MWRK: I've already posted a clip above, but I won't publish more as I want people to discover them while watching the edit as a whole. But if you would like to preview the edit (Kal-El will also preview) that would be great.:)

NewSpock said:
The only thing I fear might be a problem, is that 3 hours might be a tad too long.

This guy would like a word with you.

Yes that would be nice. I'll preview it for you as well.

A preview-cut is finished and uploaded. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it under 3 hours, without the end-credits it's just under 3 hours though.

I'll send a pm to Kal-El and MWRK, who want to preview it.:)

Here's a cover for this edit:
x15n0oks84-large.jpg

wilhelm scream said:
The second one's better!

Thanks the second one it is. Thanks to ThrowgnCpr's introduction video (highly recommended!) I learned (among other things) that there is a delete-tool that can delete pixels for one level of picture without effecting the other level of picture. He uses photoshop and I merely Gimp, but it works the same. And I finally stumbled upon the option to keep aspect ratio while resizing, makes things a whole lot easier.:)

I've submitted this edit to the Ifdb.

I thought I'd share this cover idea, I was just messing around and thought it was striking. I usually think simplicity works the best.
l3ybbvn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom