• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman Reimagined...

MWRK said:
Also I agree with some of the points Kal-El made up there ^^
Of course you do. We share Superman avatars for a reason, you know :D

Looks like NewSpock doesn't agree though. Another unliked post for me, yeah ;-)

I'll give you a like Kal. That's a serious amount of thought put into someone elses work and deserves a thank you! :)

dangermouse said:
I'll give you a like Kal. That's a serious amount of thought put into someone elses work and deserves a thank you! :)

You know me, I don't take Superman lightly :D

I'm gonna dislike every post in this thread.

Edit-reason: Removed the most condescending part.

Kal-El said:
Of course you do. We share Superman avatars for a reason, you know :D

It isn't just a passion. Superman is love. Superman is life.

2udywzm.png

NewSpock said:
Kal-El, I can see you are very passionate, and obviously you love everything regarding Superman, but you need to work on your tone, maybe write down what you think and then edit out things that might be offensive before posting. Step back a little and try to be more relaxed, that will go quite some way. And don't just assume that other people don't know what they are doing, and also try to read and take into consideration what has been written so far in the thread...
I'm just saying this because I assume you are still young and inexperienced, so there is hope;-).

And get rid of this radioactive red, I had a hard time reading it.:)

spoiler tagged because, you know...

Completely disregarding the condescending tone of that entire post, I had a hard time deciding on what color to put my answers in because I use the black theme on this website, and I wasn't sure what it would look like to others. What do you use? The white/grey theme? I can't even remember what that looks like. First I thought yellow, but that's probably even worse. I just didn't want to copy paste quote tags every five lines to differentiate between your lines and mine. You didn't ask nicely (more like ordered me to) but I'll play nice and switch between themes to see what the red looks like and then change the colors to something more suited.

The one problem I have with you in general (if we can call it that?) is simply that sometimes you don't seem to take other people's advice to heart. Even if you won't do anything with it, or if you don't agree with it, the least you can do is acknowledge the input. You skip over everything without so much as a glance and only answer the posts (or parts of-) that you want. At least that's the impression I get. If it's not true, feel free to retort. I gave you half a book's worth of valuable input (as stated by MWRK and dangermouse) and the only you thing you replied on was the 'Microsoft Paint' joke.

I'm sure others will agree that some of the points I've made about the narrative structure or plot details are spot on, and were completely overlooked by you.

So, let's say that you don't watch a film again you want to edit right before you create a post. You probably do, but for the sake of argument, let's say you don't. It's just an example layout, stick with me. You think to yourself, "I'm going to edit Superman and Superman II". It's been a while since you've seen them, but you're confident that you can bring a new angle to the story and you're confident you know the story by heart. You come here and you create your thread, and lay out your plans. Suddenly people start reading and replying to your thread, and it seems that some things in the movie aren't quite as you remember, or perhaps you've even forgotten over time or accidentally overlooked. Damn. Oh well, no one's perfect. You can work with that. Right?

But at the same time, something as trivial as that, which you can easily steer clear from and fix in your narrative structure, makes you look kind of like an oaf here. Now now, don't get defensive. I said "oaf" in the most well meant way. I mean oaf in the sense that you may come across to some as a clumsy editor (oaf = clumsy) because you don't seem to fully grasp the film's narrative or details that you want to edit. It makes you have to trace back your steps several times during the edit's course to fix a few narrative plot holes -that you created yourself- because you didn't fully remember the narrative structure.

See what I mean? And yes, in Superman's case, as with any other Superman edit, you'll unavoidable draw my attention. And MWRK's for that matter. And probably bionicbob's too. They may perhaps not be as vocal as me on the subject matter, but I dare bet money on it that they might have had thoughts along the same line at one point or another. "That's not how it went...", or "What? No no that's all wrong".

There's a difference between trying to shape the film's edit in your own unique vision, which is obviously something every editor should strive for, and putting your stamp on it by making v1, v1.2, v1.5, v10.3 etc etc etc, only to abandon it because you keep having to backtrack to fix things you yourself (inadvertently) created.

As I type this I get the sense that I'm going in circles so I'm going to leave it here.
Just one more thing: don't assume you know someone's age. You might be dead wrong. And it's condescending. And so is calling someone inexperienced. I don't agree with some of your editing (technical and/or narratively) but I wouldn't even dream of calling someone inexperienced.

In closing, regardless of all this, I always welcome any and all attempts at a fresh perspective on the Superman mythos. So if you finish this project I'd be more than happy to preview it and provide constructive criticism, comments or praise.

EDIT: Don't know what the problem is. The red is clearly readable in the Light FE theme and still very doable in the Dark FE theme. Doesn't hurt my eyes reading it either. I'm just going to respectfully leave it be.

NewSpock said:
Kal-El, I can see you are very passionate, and obviously you love everything regarding Superman, but you need to work on your tone, maybe write down what you think and then edit out things that might be offensive before posting. Step back a little and try to be more relaxed, that will go quite some way. And don't just assume that other people don't know what they are doing, and also try to read and take into consideration what has been written so far in the thread...
I'm just saying this because I assume you are still young and inexperienced, so there is hope;-).

Good grief man, could you BE more condescending and arrogant? Take your own advice! And don't be so bloody-minded about your own ideas - not everything is gold. The correct response to Kal was "Thank you for your feedback" not some holier-than-thou garbage. I think you owe Kal an apology.
(And even if you think he was totally wrong, at least thank him for putting in the effort of engaging with your ideas.)

Everyone stop. You're all being condescending and arrogant. Consider this a warning to the lot of you. If this continues, infractions will follow.

I think I went a bit too far there, Kal-El, and it was indeed a bit condescending, I apologise for that.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Everyone stop. You're all being condescending and arrogant. Consider this a warning to the lot of you. If this continues, infractions will follow.
thank-you-sir-may-i-have-another.jpg

ThrowgnCpr said:

NewSpock said:
I think I went a bit too far there, Kal-El, and it was indeed a bit condescending, I apologise for that.

Hi NewSpock, thank you for the apologies. Likewise, I may have come on a little too strong, and for that, I apologise wholeheartedly. As I myself, and others, have mentioned, I consider Superman my forté. If you need a preview, let me know, and I'll make it my priority. I never get out of the way of a Superman (preview or) edit :)

Kal-El said:
Hi NewSpock, thank you for the apologies. Likewise, I may have come on a little too strong, and for that, I apologise wholeheartedly. As I myself, and others, have mentioned, I consider Superman my forté. If you need a preview, let me know, and I'll make it my priority. I never get out of the way of a Superman (preview or) edit :)

Thanks for the offer, I will write you a pm when the edit reaches the stage when it could be previewed.

TM2YC said:
How are you going to show this? Some FX shots or something, or is there a clever way to rework the footage?
I promised a clip for this one, here it is:

Password: Jor-El

^ Works for me! :)

Looks good! If you could maybe find a way to use lester's background plate on all shots of the earth from before the shock-waves are emitted, to ensure continuity, then it'd be great!

MWRK said:
If you could maybe find a way to use lester's background plate on all shots of the earth from before the shock-waves are emitted, to ensure continuity, then it'd be great!

Thanks, will look into it, if it's possible.

The thing is Superman 1 is so damn near perfection, that there is only little that I will change. I'll remove Lois "Can you read my mind" and that pimp being visible while complimenting Superman. And I'll trim some of Luthor's overacting and I'm thinking about removing Luthor and co outside manipulating the abombs, and removing Luthor going to prison.
But that's it, Superman II is the one where most of the reediting happens.

I don't think I find anything wrong with Hackman's performance, for me its Otis. The slapstick is just a tad too annoying. But it'd be interesting to see what you found was over the top by Gene Hackman, and how you removed them.

Back
Top Bottom