• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Last Jedi - Anti-Cringe-Cut

Thanks guys! In the end I chose the first one :)

I sent out some PMs because I had a lot of requests for an early review before the submission is final. If I left anybody out or somebody else is interested, please PM me.

Just got done watching this edit and it's by far the best Last Jedi fanedit I've seen yet. DonKamillo cut out all the stuff that I really hated about the movie and added in/changed some other things that really made it an enjoyable viewing experience. I didn't think it was possible to salvage such a trainwreck of a movie, but somehow he managed to find a good movie in there after all and I am extremely impressed with his efforts. :cool:

I've reviewed this edit for the academy. A valiant effort by DonKamillo that manages to remove the whole of Canto Bight and Leia from the scenes post bridge scene. Unfortunately, there are audio transitions that need to be smoothed, audio quality to increase and a narrative issue to address regarding Poe and Holdo. Once DonKamillo addresses these areas this edit will be ready to be approved.

Moved back to ITW while the editor addresses these areas.

Good so far! I like the little touches in the intro. I'll update when I finish it. Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback guys and special thanks to @"DigModiFicaTion" for the very very detailed feedback.

I've been working on one shot during the first Luke/Rey encounter. I needed that scene from Force Awakens where Luke looks at Rey but the color grading as well as the sky color etc from TFA didn't match the scene in TLJ so I did my best to change the background of Luke. Here are some clips.

The scene from TFA...

...integrated into TLJ. Still looks a bit green-screeny...

...but so does this shot from Rian Johnson so...yeah...  :)

Personally, I think it would be better to just edit out that shot of Luke since it doesn't really match the look of the scene, but I can see why you put it in. Have you had any luck with fixing the audio or that Poe/Holdo scene? Really looking forward to watching the "final" version of this again. :)

Brent72 said:
Personally, I think it would be better to just edit out that shot of Luke since it doesn't really match the look of the scene, but I can see why you put it in. Have you had any luck with fixing the audio or that Poe/Holdo scene? Really looking forward to watching the "final" version of this again. :)

Yeah I'm not satisfied as well. I used a shot of him from TLJ instead. I fixed all the issues regarding audio transitions and the audio mix in general is also louder now. Will submit the updated version for re-evaluation soon. Stay tuned.  :)

While fixing the last remaining issues, I had to make some changes and also had a couple of new ideas. That's why I decided to post an updated version of my cut-list:

Cut:
  • The blonde rebel girl in the beginning saying "Oh no" as she sees the Star Destroyers popping up
  • The silly face General Hux makes while looking at his officer when Poe approaches them alone
  • Poe "phone pranking" General Hux at the beginning
  • *NEW* The silly face General Hux makes while looking at Poe taking out the Dreadnought service cannons
  • BB8's Whack-A-Mole joke and bashing his head into the circuit to repair Poe's ship cannons
  • *NEW* General Hux being thrown around by Snoke in front of his crew
  • Aerial shot of Rey walking up to Luke
  • Luke throwing away his light saber and Rey retrieving it later
  • Almost all Porg scenes
  • Rey explaining to Luke what Chewbacca is saying after they burst into his hut
  • Luke's weird milking scene
  • Leia coming back from the dead after being sucked out into space
  • All of Leia's appearances after her "death"
  • *NEW* Close shot of Kylo's wet hand after force call conversation with Rey
  • *NEW* Rey asking Kylo to "put on a cowl or something" after noticing that he's topless
  • Admiral Holdo berating Poe
  • Poe being frustrated about Admiral Holdo's behavior
  • Poe's coup against Admiral Holdo
  • Maz Kanata's silly phone call
  • Finn's side quest on Canto Bight (and the whole Code-breaker nonsense)
  • Rose's introduction
  • Rey nearly killing the island nuns with a rock
  • Luke falling down after Rey hits him on the head from behind. 
  • Captain Phasma
  • BB8 going on a killing spree
  • *NEW* Rose and Finn returning to Crait while being shot at by Tie Fighters
  • *NEW* Rebels setting up their base on Crait
  • *NEW* Old guy walking onto the battlefield with the binoculars
  • *NEW* Gareth Edwards Cameo and rebel soldier putting salt in his mouth
  • *NEW* Rey shooting down three Tie Fighters at once on Crait
  • Finn trying to sacrifice himself in the battle on Crait and Rose "saving" him
  • Rose kissing Finn while the Rebel Base is being blown up in the background
  • *NEW* General Hux being thrown around by Kylo in front of his crew
  • Luke dying
  • *NEW* The names of the actors playing Maz Canata, Captain Phasma, Rose, and DJ where removed from beginning of the credits
Added:
  • Deleted scene where Poe is getting a distress call from the rebel base in the beginning
  • Deleted scene where Luke is mourning Han
  • Deleted scene where the island nuns are introduced 
  • Deleted scene where Poe explains to Finn what happened while he was in a coma
  • Deleted scene showing Luke's third lesson to Rey (involving the island natives)
  • Two aerial shots from a documentary of Skellige island (Ahch-To island) that serve as transitions between scenes
  • Some classic Star Wars scene transitions here and there
  • Background music in some scenes and scene transitions (only using the OST for The Last Jedi)
  • *NEW* There can be no Star Wars without a Wilhelm Scream somewhere in the movie ;)

Changed:
  • The intro crawl text changed slightly to include that Snoke has been training "his apprentice Kylo Ren" and that the rebels are certain that "young Rey will find Luke Skywalker and with his help restore a spark of hope to the fight".
  • *NEW* The shot of Luke looking at Rey before walking away was replaced
  • The first battle against the Dreadnought is much more fluid and intense now and not broken up by silly jokes
  • Moved the scene where Leia tells C3PO to "whipe that nervous expression off his face" to right after the Dreadnought cannons move to point on the rebel cruiser making it a better fit
  • *NEW* Although General Hux is still not the most intimidating bad guy, at least now he is spared the humiliation by his superiors in front of his fellow officers, restoring some of his dignity and the appearance of him being a respected General.
  • Leia dies in the second assault of the First Order
  • Luke has a vision of Leia floating in space after he reconnects with the force
  • Instead of throwing away the light saber, Luke gives it back to Rey and tells her that he's sorry before walking off, making her confused expression right after, more believable.
  • *NEW* Teleporting matter like water via force call is not possible anymore (shown when Kylo wipes his face to reveal that water from Ahch-To island was transported to him). Now it looks like he's wiping away some sweat after his intense conversation with Rey.
  • Luke now seems more skilled in the fight with Rey. He doesn't fall down, after she hits him on the head the first time but immediately turns around to stop her second strike at which point he hears Master Yoda's voice telling him not to attack her. This results in him just dodging her hits and staying on the defensive. The one time he falls down now, he breaks his fall with the force, showing us that he could have easily beaten her if he wanted to.
  • When Poe asks Admiral Holdo, if she has a plan, it now seems like she tells him what the mission is. When they leave her alone on the cruiser and Poe leaves with the transport ships, it looks like they are working together.
  • *NEW* To showcase that they are working together there is a montage with a voice-over explaining the escape plan to Crait.
  • The reveal that Rose is Paige's sister comes much later in the last act on Crait when she touches the second half of the medalion as she is flying towards the large cannon, creating a better connection/contrast to the beginning of the movie. Her sister died in battle, she survives. 
  • *NEW* Now the Millenium Falcon enters the battle on Crait gracefully and with style. The first thing we see is it's shadow and not an exaggerated triple kill shot 
  • When Poe tells Finn to pull back, it now looks like he is following his order
  • Luke makes his last stand with a green light saber instead of the blue one making the reveal, that he is not really there, more surprising. 
  • The movie ends with Luke surviving and looking out at the sunset, coming full circle. He looked at it as a baby in "Revenge of the Sith", as a young man in "A New Hope" and finally as an old Jedi Master.
  • After credits scene with Chewbacca (if you watched the trailer, you've seen it already)
  • Color grading of the whole movie (greenish/yellow tint removed and more color vibrance)
New Running Time: 109 minutes

I thought about a way to address the Holdo/Poe situation and how to showcase that they were indeed working together instead of against each other. What I came up with is a montage with a voice-over explaining their escape plan to Crait:

I updated the cut-list above to include this change.

I finished watching last night and I liked it MUCH better than the theatrical release. Great job! My only gripes are already mentioned above - the first scene with Luke needed a little bit of work, so I look forward to seeing your new changes there. Maybe I missed it but are there any Porgs before the scene where Chewbacca swipes one off the dash? If there was a way to show a single one before that to introduce it on the island so we know the origin of it, that would be ideal in my opinion. Otherwise I'm looking forward to a 2160p cut if possible - gotta put this 4K TV to use, and 4K77 has been a great joy.

THANKS!

DonKamillo said:
While fixing the last remaining issues, I had to make some changes and also had a couple of new ideas. That's why I decided to post an updated version of my cut-list:

Cut:
  • The blonde rebel girl in the beginning saying "Oh no" as she sees the Star Destroyers popping up
  • The silly face General Hux makes while looking at his officer when Poe approaches them alone
  • Poe "phone pranking" General Hux at the beginning
  • BB8's Whack-A-Mole joke and bashing his head into the circuit to repair Poe's ship cannons
  • *NEW* General Hux being thrown around by Snoke in front of his crew
  • Aerial shot of Rey walking up to Luke
  • Luke throwing away his light saber and Rey retrieving it later
  • Almost all Porg scenes
  • Rey explaining to Luke what Chewbacca is saying after they burst into his hut
  • Luke's weird milking scene
  • Leia coming back from the dead after being sucked out into space
  • All of Leia's appearances after her "death"
  • *NEW* Close shot of Kylo's wet hand after force call conversation with Rey
  • Admiral Holdo berating Poe
  • Poe being frustrated about Admiral Holdo's behavior
  • Poe's coup against Admiral Holdo
  • Maz Kanata's silly phone call
  • Finn's side quest on Canto Bight (and the whole Code-breaker nonsense)
  • Rose's introduction
  • Rey nearly killing the island nuns with a rock
  • Luke falling down after Rey hits him on the head from behind. 
  • Captain Phasma
  • BB8 going on a killing spree
  • *NEW* Rose and Finn returning to Crait while being shot at by Tie Fighters
  • *NEW* Rebels setting up their base on Crait
  • Finn trying to sacrifice himself in the battle on Crait and Rose "saving" him
  • Rose kissing Finn while the Rebel Base is being blown up in the background
  • *NEW* General Hux being thrown around by Kylo in front of his crew
  • Luke dying
  • *NEW* The names of the actors playing Maz Canata, Captain Phasma, Rose, and DJ where removed from beginning of the credits
Added:
  • Deleted scene where Poe is getting a distress call from the rebel base in the beginning
  • Deleted scene where Luke is mourning Han
  • Deleted scene where the island nuns are introduced 
  • Deleted scene where Poe explains to Finn what happened while he was in a coma
  • Deleted scene showing Luke's third lesson to Rey (involving the island natives)
  • Two aerial shots from a documentary of Skellige island (Ahch-To island) that serve as transitions between scenes
  • Some classic Star Wars scene transitions here and there
  • Background music in some scenes and scene transitions (only using the OST for The Last Jedi)
  • *NEW* There can be no Star Wars without a Wilhelm Scream somewhere in the movie ;)

Changed:
  • The intro crawl text changed slightly to include that Snoke has been training "his apprentice Kylo Ren" and that the rebels are certain that "young Rey will find Luke Skywalker and with his help restore a spark of hope to the fight".
  • *NEW* The shot of Luke looking at Rey before walking away was replaced
  • The first battle against the Dreadnought is much more fluid and intense now and not broken up by silly jokes
  • Moved the scene where Leia tells C3PO to "whipe that nervous expression off his face" to right after the Dreadnought cannons move to point on the rebel cruiser making it a better fit
  • *NEW* Although General Hux is still not the most intimidating bad guy, at least now he is spared the humiliation by his superiors in front of his fellow officers, restoring some of his dignity and the appearance of him being a respected General.
  • Leia dies in the second assault of the First Order
  • Luke has a vision of Leia floating in space after he reconnects with the force
  • Instead of throwing away the light saber, Luke gives it back to Rey and tells her that he's sorry before walking off, making her confused expression right after, more believable.
  • *NEW* Teleporting matter like water via force call is not possible anymore (shown when Kylo wipes his face to reveal that water from Ahch-To island was transported to him). Now it looks like he's wiping away some sweat after his intense conversation with Rey.
  • Luke now seems more skilled in the fight with Rey. He doesn't fall down, after she hits him on the head the first time but immediately turns around to stop her second strike at which point he hears Master Yoda's voice telling him not to attack her. This results in him just dodging her hits and staying on the defensive. The one time he falls down now, he breaks his fall with the force, showing us that he could have easily beaten her if he wanted to.
  • When Poe asks Admiral Holdo, if she has a plan, it now seems like she tells him what the mission is. When they leave her alone on the cruiser and Poe leaves with the transport ships, it looks like they are working together.
  • *NEW* To showcase that they are working together there is a montage with a voice-over explaining the escape plan to Crait.
  • The reveal that Rose is Paige's sister comes much later in the last act on Crait. hen she touches the second half of the medalion as she is flying towards the large cannon, creating a better connection/contrast to the beginning of the movie. Her sister died in battle, she survives. 
  • When Poe tells Finn to pull back, it now looks like he is following his order
  • Luke makes his last stand with a green light saber instead of the blue one making the reveal, that he is not really there, more surprising. 
  • The movie ends with Luke surviving and looking out at the sunset, coming full circle. He looked at it as a baby in "Revenge of the Sith", as a young man in "A New Hope" and finally as an old Jedi Master.
  • After credits scene with Chewbacca (if you watched the trailer, you've seen it already)
  • Color grading of the whole movie (greenish/yellow tint removed and more color vibrance)

New Running Time: 109 minutes

Wow, Kamillo! This is lookin' GOOD! Care to explain some of these new changes? :D

I like that new montage scene. Only thing I noticed is that audio was low in that YouTube clip, kinda like what I was telling you about the original edit of the movie. Will that be fixed for the final release? Really impressed with all the changes you've made so far. :cool:

Appreciate all the feedback guys!

banthapudu said:
Maybe I missed it but are there any Porgs before the scene where Chewbacca swipes one off the dash? If there was a way to show a single one before that to introduce it on the island so we know the origin of it, that would be ideal in my opinion. Otherwise I'm looking forward to a 2160p cut if possible - gotta put this 4K TV to use, and 4K77 has been a great joy.

THANKS!

Yeah you can see some porgs before that scene but it's mostly short moments or them flying around in the background. For example you can see one in a nest before Luke swings over the cliffside to catch some fish or in the scene where Rey connects with the force in her first lesson. I think all in all it's enough screen time to make the connection that these weird birds on the Millenium Falcon are from Ahch-To.

A 4k release is not on my to-do list at the moment but you'll never know...maybe I'll tackle that in the future...  ;)

I like that new montage scene. Only thing I noticed is that audio was low in that YouTube clip, kinda like what I was telling you about the original edit of the movie. Will that be fixed for the final release? Really impressed with all the changes you've made so far. :cool:

Yeah the low audio level will be fixed  :)

DonKamillo said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean explain why I changed stuff in general or explain specific new scenes?

I do indeed mean why you changed some of the stuff since the previous version.

Motley'] [quote="DonKamillo said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean explain why I changed stuff in general or explain specific new scenes?

I do indeed mean why you changed some of the stuff since the previous version.
[/quote]

I wanted to stay true to the "Anti-Cringe" part in the title and General Hux being humiliated for example was supposed to be funny but felt very cringy to me. I didn't notice it in the previous version because going over the movie so often, you start to get that tunnel vision you know :)

Other stuff I fixed after I got some narrative suggestions from @"DigModiFicaTion" that I found very good, like the scene on Crait where Finn and Rose arrive, followed by some Tie Fighters. I didn't really need that scene narratively so I cut it. 

I know that I have said multiple times now, that this is the final version and then I suddenly have some new ideas... it's not healthy anymore... but in the end I hope, that you guys like the little changes and new additions as much as I do  :D

DonKamillo said:
I wanted to stay true to the "Anti-Cringe" part in the title and General Hux being humiliated for example was supposed to be funny but felt very cringy to me. I didn't notice it in the previous version because going over the movie so often, you start to get that tunnel vision you know :)

Other stuff I fixed after I got some narrative suggestions from @"DigModiFicaTion" that I found very good, like the scene on Crait where Finn and Rose arrive, followed by some Tie Fighters. I didn't really need that scene narratively so I cut it. 

I know that I have said multiple times now, that this is the final version and then I suddenly have some new ideas... it's not healthy anymore... but in the end I hope, that you guys like the little changes and new additions as much as I do  :D

When can we expect this new version to be viewable?

[quote="Motley']

When can we expect this new version to be viewable?
[/quote]

The fixes are done on my side. I will submit it again for review, after I rendered and uploaded it (hopefully today).

DonKamillo said:
The fixes are done on my side. I will submit it again for review, after I rendered and uploaded it (hopefully today).

Okay then!

Back
Top Bottom