• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Last Jedi - Anti-Cringe-Cut

DonKamillo said:
Thanks!  :D

DigModiFicaTion said:
Perhaps lessening the hilt area glow on this one?
[img=500x250]https://imgoat.com/uploads/0a080f42e6/121764.png[/img]

Good catch, I will reduce it a little.

The glow looks good. It only needs the mask to be higher near the hilt.

Perhaps a collaboration on these scenes?

kkio2yql.jpg

DigModiFicaTion said:
The glow looks good. It only needs the mask to be higher near the hilt.

Perhaps a collaboration on these scenes?

kkio2yql.jpg

If I move the mask any higher, the blue glow becomes visible again. There's a lot of blue near the hilt. I increased the mask feather, which reduced the green glow near the hilt a little bit. It looks slightly better now.

Another problem I had was that the green glow in Luke's face was a bit much in some shots, so I added another mask with a color curve to his face and tweaked the green and blue values a bit:

Original:

[img=785x335]https://imgoat.com/uploads/0a080f42e6/121834.png[/img]

Before:

[img=785x335]https://imgoat.com/uploads/0a080f42e6/121832.png[/img]

After:

[img=785x335]https://imgoat.com/uploads/0a080f42e6/121833.png[/img]

I just want to pop in and say the work you guys are doing with this is very promising and exciting to see. It'd be quite a sight to see Luke's green saber wielded in his final stand.

darthrush said:
I just want to pop in and say the work you guys are doing with this is very promising and exciting to see. It'd be quite a sight to see Luke's green saber wielded in his final stand.

Thanks darthrush! I initially wanted to give up on the idea cause  it took up so much time but the green saber just looked so awesome that I couldn't leave it. All I can say is, that it was worth it  :D

Damn! With a cutlist loke that, this could go down as the most brutal TLJ edit to date! :O

Was it me or were the audio levels all a little off?

I absolutely love teaser 1 and 3, but the passage of time in teaser 2, with Luke closing the door after we see Rey and CHewbacca inside the hut with him is distracting... is there anything else you could put in between the two scenes? 
Moreover, I would reconsider the music choice under the "Luke Mourns Han" moment; I feel it is too epic for such an intense, intimate sequence. 

I love what you're doing with Luke's green saber, though.  Excellent work!  Well done.  Keep it going.

Canon Editor said:
I absolutely love teaser 1 and 3, but the passage of time in teaser 2, with Luke closing the door after we see Rey and CHewbacca inside the hut with him is distracting... is there anything else you could put in between the two scenes? 
Moreover, I would reconsider the music choice under the "Luke Mourns Han" moment; I feel it is too epic for such an intense, intimate sequence.

In the deleted scene we see Luke close the door behind Rey and Chewbacca, presumably after they told him what happened to Han. He wants to be alone to mourn him. In the scene right before that, Chewie and Rey break into the hut and confront Luke. I wanted to connect those scenes and show that some time passes in between without leaving the island and breaking the tension with some other scene. So I took some footage from a documentary of Skellige Island (where those scenes where shot) to connect those scenes and did some color correction to make it fit. I think it works very well this way.

The music I used is from the last scene of "The Force Awakens" where Rey meets Luke for the first time. I find it very fitting because its intensity mirrors Luke's painful loss and it also works with the transition to Kylo. But I'm always open for suggestions if you have specific ideas ;)

But speaking of Teaser 2... There has been some changes in the beginning of the scene. I will post the updated scene soon. 

Canon Editor said:
I love what you're doing with Luke's green saber, though.  Excellent work!  Well done.  Keep it going.

Thanks!   :D

Just saw a comment that the edit was '100% finished'. Care to clarify on that?

I see; the Skellig Island shot works well, and wouldn't have been able to tell it was from a documentary, therefore well done.  The transition doesn't convince me yet, but I'll think about it! 

Thank you for the detailed explanation for your choices!

[quote="Motley']
Just saw a comment that the edit was '100% finished'. Care to clarify on that?
[/quote]

I don't know which comment you are referring to but initially when I opened this thread, I already thought that my cut was 100% finished and just wanted to ask you guys for help getting into the submission process. 

I think the fact that @DominicCobb is a busy guy was a blessing in disguise for me, because going over my cut numerous times while I waited for him to reply, some new ideas popped into my head and I thought: "Well while I'm waiting, I might as well do some more editing".  :D

But now I can safely say (let's say 99.9%) that my edit is finished and as soon as Dominic replies I'm gonna submit it.

I finally submitted my cut! Getting emotionally prepared for some (hopefully not too harsh) feedback... :D

This is the final cut-list (SPOILERS ahead):

Cut:
  • The blonde rebel girl in the beginning saying "Oh no" as she sees the Star Destroyers popping up
  • The silly face General Hux makes while looking at his officer when Poe approaches them alone
  • Poe "phone pranking" General Hux at the beginning
  • BB8's Whack-A-Mole joke and bashing his head into the circuit to repair Poe's ship cannons
  • Aerial shot of Rey walking up to Luke
  • Luke throwing away his light saber and Rey retrieving it later
  • Almost all Porg scenes
  • Rey explaining to Luke what Chewbacca is saying after they burst into his hut
  • Luke's weird milking scene
  • Leia coming back from the dead after being sucked out into space
  • All of Leia's appearances after her "death"
  • Admiral Holdo berating Poe
  • Poe being frustrated about Admiral Holdo's behavior
  • Poe's coup against Admiral Holdo
  • Maz Kanata's silly phone call
  • Finn's side quest on Canto Bight (and the whole Code-breaker nonsense)
  • Rose's introduction
  • Rey nearly killing the island nuns with a rock
  • Luke falling down after Rey hits him on the head from behind. 
  • Captain Phasma
  • BB8 going on a killing spree
  • Finn trying to sacrifice himself in the battle on Crait and Rose "saving" him
  • Rose kissing Finn while the Rebel Base is being blown up in the background
  • Luke dying
Added:
  • Deleted scene where Poe is getting a distress call from the rebel base in the beginning
  • Deleted scene where Luke is mourning Han
  • Deleted scene where the island nuns are introduced 
  • Deleted scene where Poe explains to Finn what happened while he was in a coma
  • Deleted scene showing Luke's third lesson to Rey (involving the island natives)
  • Two aerial shots from a documentary of Skellige island (Ahch-To island) that serve as transitions between scenes
  • Some classic Star Wars scene transitions here and there
  • Background music in some scenes and scene transitions (only using the OST for The Last Jedi)
Changed:
  • The intro crawl text changed slightly to include that Snoke has been training "his apprentice Kylo Ren" and that the rebels are certain that "young Rey will find Luke Skywalker and with his help restore a spark of hope to the fight".
  • Moved the scene where Leia tells C3PO to "whipe that nervous expression off his face" to right after the Dreadnought cannons move to point on the rebel cruiser making it a better fit
  • The first battle against the Dreadnought is much more fluid and intense now and not broken up by silly jokes
  • Leia dies in the second assault of the First Order
  • Luke has a vision of Leia floating in space after he reconnects with the force
  • Instead of throwing away the light saber, Luke gives it back to Rey and tells her that he's sorry before walking off, making her confused expression right after, more believable.
  • Luke now seems more skilled in the fight with Rey. He doesn't fall down, after she hits him on the head the first time but immediately turns around to stop her second strike at which point he hears Master Yoda's voice telling him not to attack her. This results in him just dodging her hits and staying on the defensive. The one time he falls down now, he breaks his fall with the force, showing us that he could have easily beaten her if he wanted to.
  • When Poe asks Admiral Holdo, if she has a plan, it now seems like she tells him what the mission is. When they leave her alone on the cruiser and Poe leaves with the transport ships, it looks like they are working together.
  • The reveal that Rose is Paige's sister comes much later in the last act on Crait. hen she touches the second half of the medalion as she is flying towards the large cannon, creating a better connection/contrast to the beginning of the movie. Her sister died in battle, she survives. 
  • When Poe tells Finn to pull back, it now looks like he is following his order
  • Luke makes his last stand with a green light saber instead of the blue one making the reveal, that he is not really there, more surprising. 
  • The movie ends with Luke surviving and looking out at the sunset, coming full circle. He looked at it as a baby in "Revenge of the Sith", as a young man in "A New Hope" and finally as an old Jedi Master.
  • After credits scene with Chewbacca (if you watched the trailer, you've seen it already)
  • Color grading of the whole movie (greenish/yellow tint removed and more color vibrance)
Running Time: 110 minutes

The revised cutlist looks awesome! Is there any way I can watch your edit while it's being submitted? :D

And don't worry: I own the film on Blu-ray, so my viewing of your edit will be 100% legal! :)

[quote="Motley']
The revised cutlist looks awesome! Is there any way I can watch your edit while it's being submitted? :D

And don't worry: I own the film on Blu-ray, so my viewing of your edit will be 100% legal! :)
[/quote]

Please PM editors for requests. The OTS rule is a given expectation and should not be discussed in the forum.

And back to another beautiful day :)

I decided to make an Anti-Cringe Intro...actually I made two and I can't decide which one to pick...  :D

Anti-Cringe Intro:

PS: Sorry for keeping you waiting @"DigModiFicaTion"  ;)

DonKamillo said:
I decided to make an Anti-Cringe Intro...actually I made two and I can't decide which one to pick...  :D

Anti-Cringe Intro:

Me while watching the clip  :D . 

tenor.gif

At first I was like "what does Columbia Pictures have to do with Star Wars but then I was like, "oh ok", and then the light saber appeared and the fade out with it still illuminated and I was like "oooh, yeaaah".  Apologies for all the colloquialism.

I definitely like this clip the most out of the two for the aforementioned reason with the fade out and lingering light saber.

Back
Top Bottom