• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (NON-SPOILER)

emanswfan said:
Well, people are mostly brain dead and like seeing the same stuff over and over...

*fixed

If you want to use vader, do it in another time period, not as a sequel to the OT. And for the love of Gods, do it before James Earl Jones dies.

I'm fine with a new villain, or one of the Luke/Leia kids being a villain, i was just mocking the "bring back vader" sentiment. I just cant see any good way to do it without hurting the old character.

njvc said:
Vader is possibly the most recognisable brand associated with Star Wars. Toys aside, I think they will definitely utilise him in some way. Disney has to make their 4 billion back and they will want their star Sith off the Bench. I call legit on that particular rumor.

And to be honest, if they get it right, it could work. Not to resurrect Anakin, but to resurrect the suit. I know this is steering into the 'what would you do with E 7,8,9' territory, but I can imagine the remaining imperials being very keen to reinstate their most iconic and feared image of power and fear across the universe. So perhaps they find a new sith recruit who is willing to wear this mantle to re-galvanise and unify a fractured empire... or something like that.

And what better insult to an ageing Luke than to see the image of his now redeemed father being used for evil purposes once again? I think that would serve as an appropriate motivator to get the old jedi off his taun taun and wanting to do something about it. It might even motivate an old friend like han to deliver the message to Luke personally, who has been busy converting those in the rebellion who were open to his teaching in the ways of the force etc...

I predict something like this anyway...

well, the DV suit could just have been off-the-shelf medical equipment. had a lava injury? here, wear this respirator suit and call a personal injury attorney.

but, of course, the suit's so expensive (crackling with technology, juknow?) that only friends of the emperor can afford it. not every two-bit burglar can have one.

so yeah, i can see the next mortally injured sith lord having to wear a nearly identical vent suit and halloween mask. besides, emperor types will feel a comforting sense of deja-vu when their dirty-deeds-done-dirt-cheap hounds go for a familiar yet classic look.

njvc said:
Vader is possibly the most recognisable brand associated with Star Wars. Toys aside, I think they will definitely utilise him in some way. Disney has to make their 4 billion back and they will want their star Sith off the Bench. I call legit on that particular rumor.

That's certainly a very solid and logical argument in favor of Disney going this direction.

njvc said:
So perhaps they find a new sith recruit who is willing to wear this mantle to re-galvanise and unify a fractured empire... or something like that.

I can't honestly see them going this way. Several cheesy Marvel and Dark Horse comics have already gone the route of "It's Darth Vader (or Boba Fett)! Oh, wait. No, it's not." It always felt like a cheat, like the plot had somehow stumbled into an episode of Scooby-Doo.

If he's brought back, I think the most likely way to go would be cloning. Cloning has already been introduced in the prequels. One of the most popular and acclaimed comics (Dark Empire) dealt with the return of the Emperor as a clone (and, in fact, that comic was originally supposed to be about Vader being brought back until Lucasfilm nixed that idea). The Thrawn trilogy also had a cloned character (Joruus C’baoth).

The most interesting part about this idea is that Vader could have been cloned between Empire and Jedi, so he would have no knowledge of his redemption. Also, cloning has been known to breed insanity in the novels. An even more unstable Vader would certainly be a Force to be reckoned with (pun intended).

It still seems like it would be better to go with a different threat, even someone who had some visual similarities to Vader's outfit, but not actually use Vader himself. (Darth Malak and the villain pictured here are both examples of antagonists who effectively emulated elements of Vader's costume.) But if the filmmakers are going to go the route of bringing Vader back, cloning seems most consistent with what's been established in the Star Wars universe.

There was a rumor within the past year that the first episode of the long-in-development live action series would involve time travel. I suppose that time travel is another way to go, too, to bring Vader back, but I think it would also feel like a cheat.

Just my 2 Republic credits, for whatever they're worth.

Problem is:
if they just bring back a new Sith Vilain would feel like the random Sith of the week and if they bring back Vader in the suit, then it would seems like they run of out ideas too.
My guess is that if they want Star Wars to still be interesting they have to stop the new apprentice Sith's threat or it'll be boring fast.
The problem will then be: what danger? As much as I like the Character of Thrawn and the Zahn's trilogy I feel like the remains of the Empire should be long dead 20 or 30 years later (the moment this sequel trilogy will start, I believe).
So what danger?

My crazy Idea...
(maybe a bit too "Science Fiction" for Star Wars, but whatever):

To me this new trilogy, even if "Lucas free" needs to be tied with the OT (and sadly, the PT). It needs to bring back the concept of the Force back (remember the midichlorians are not the Force, it's a way to detect people who are in relation with the Force.)
We know the Force was "balanced" by the end of ROTJ. What could that mean? "Balanced" does not mean that the good side won. To me "Balanced" means that there are no more "good side" AND "dark side". What could happen when there are no more good side and bad side? The answer is: chaos.
The Force is spreading across the galaxy because there are no more "keepers" of the Force (neither Sith nor Jedi) so EVERYONE is now begining to be in relation with the Force to various degrees and it starts to cause "turmoil in the galaxy....". A small ship from the new republic is sent to Tatooine in hope to find Luke Skywalker, the last of the Jedi. Of course Luke is old and weak. The new Republic needs to find a way to control the Force before chaos is everywhere. Luke tells them that it's perhaps the way of the Force: to be shared by everyone. And that the Force is only dangerous when controled by few people who control the majority of the Force. (that's why the Sith were always very dangerous by the way, because they were always only TWO controling the dark side).
Later Luke is informed that his sister Leia is opening a new Jedi temple and is starting training new Jedi herself. Luke is upset about that.

Of course told like this, this plot sounds a bit boring for the Star Wars we would like to see (more adventures, less politics), but I feel like the threat should not be the "vilain of the week", but instead the understanding that, in fact, bringing back the Jedi AND the Sith is the only way to control the Force. And the opposition would be about those who are FOR controling the Force against those who'd prefer the Force being shared by everyone. Of course a Star Wars movie needs an iconic vilain. But above all it needs a very good motivation for this vilain.

Does that make sens?

agreed, the force has so many facettes and every time an EU-story is touching on it they still have to remain within the bounds of the OT because the OT dictates the ideas and where the story is heading (and to a lesser degree the prequels) so an author can never go completely creative and mental with the force and has to somehow incorporate the deathstar and the emperor in some vague way - but with a new start the potential is limitless. There is a great 3 part clonewars episode about the balance of the force and the star wars novel darth plagueis really made me wish that those concept could be explored without the need of it being just a sidestory in the big 6 movie universe.

not sure if i am clear in my argument but a seventh movie imo has more chances of doing different things on a scale that impacts the thematic of the saga than a spin-off EU book

I'd hate to see Vader resurrected in the epilogue trilogy. That rubs me the wrong way as much as the droids did in the prequels. Let that story be complete and move onto a new villain. The cloning thing is okay (I'd prefer some really amazing Dark Side force power that brings a villain back though), but do it with a character we haven't seen in the movies. I like the idea of Malak or Revan or another major Dark Lord from the distant past. But, in all honesty, I'd much prefer a new threat.

New threat that restores ideas that were either 1) not fleshed out or 2) awesome enough to work

just the idea of Revan in my eyes is Anakin done right - i mean there is even discussion if revan might be THE force user because he never was evil or light and found a unifying way or something.

but not just revan:

Darth Plagueis
Darth Nihilus
Darth Malak
Darth Traya

they are fantastic examples of how much possibility there is for cool characters

I would like to see the new trilogy address the hypocrisy of the jedi. I know a lot of people wouldn't like this because it would involve acknowledging the PT, but I think it would be interesting for the whole story to be about Luke trying to create a better jedi order. Some of that would involve him abolishing the "you can't love rule" amongst others. I think it would be interesting if he also came up with rules like "the jedi shall not be used as soldiers in war," and then, over the course of the three movies, they were forced to by the new villain.

In this scenario, the new villain would be a pupil of Luke's who has, in a sense, turned to the dark side. But he hasn't really. I don't think he should be a sith. I think he should be a jedi who believes that the force doesn't necessarily have to be used in the ways the jedis prescribe.

The resolution at the end of the trilogy would be that Luke realizes his missteps and is able to create a truly great, new jedi order.

Ideally, this would be the backdrop of a story about Luke's son, a boy who has not spent much time with his father, but is one with great expectations and is put into the jedi order. Over the films, his distance from his father, and his talks with the villain, make him seriously consider going to the pseudo-"dark side." His story isn't wrapped up as nicely as Luke's, and, at the end, though he has saved the day and helped his father, he is unsure of himself, the jedi, and his path, and he walks off into the sunset, destination unknown.

hm.... as long as they don't make a four year teaser campaign for a jedi teamup movie...

Sunarep said:
hm.... as long as they don't make a four year teaser campaign for a jedi teamup movie...

Is someone still bitter about the avengers? :p

This rumor about Lucasfilm making 'two or three films a year' is:
1 - A missunderstanding about that whole "1 Star Wars every 2 or 3 years" after the sequel trilogy.
2 - Lucasfilm planning to make 2 or 3 films a year but obviously not making 2 or 3 Star Wars movies year, like I read everywhere today... Even Disney and Lucasfilm are not that dumb to milk the cash cow that way.
That said I could certainly see the greenlight of a Star Wars "live" TV series happening between Episode 7 and 8. (although a live TV series could also "cheapen" the joy to have a new Star Wars movie each 3 years, IMO)

Yeah. In the Entertainment Weekly article, Kennedy says that Lucasfilm will be making 2 to 3 movies a year, and of course, all the liars on the Internet (that is, the news/gossip sites) had to run with it to try to scare people.

What if it is a C3P0 & R2D2 and a Fett movie followed by Star Wars 7, then a Chewie & Han movie and a movie introducing a character followed by Star Wars 8. I can actually see them putting out 1 to 2 non "Episode" movies a year.

wabid said:
What if it is a C3P0 & R2D2 and a Fett movie followed by Star Wars 7, then a Chewie & Han movie and a movie introducing a character followed by Star Wars 8. I can actually see them putting out 1 to 2 non "Episode" movies a year.
They would not shortcut the big new Star Wars EP7 release by putting in theater some quickly made cheap movies.
Or Star Wars is already dead before it started its new run.
Lucasfilm is planning to work on 2 or 3 movies a year. That's it, IMO. Could be Indy 5 or Howard the Duck 2 or... dare I say... new ideas?

TMBTM said:
or... dare I say... new ideas?

1413.jpg

Considering the massive success that Disney has already had with POTC, which was inspired in part by the ride, in part by The Crimson Pirate, but mostly by the Monkey Island games, I'm thinking that LucasArts may become prime source material for non-SW LucasFilm movies for a while. Grim Fandango in particular has possibilities -- an amazing design aesthetic (Aztec meets art deco by way of film noir -- somewhere between the Coen Brothers and Gullermo del Toro), cool characters, and a storyline that spans four years (allowing for several films)...

I am inclined to believe Disney when they said this sale is about Star Wars only. They want brand recognition They could make any movie and slap Star Wars on it and people would go. They do not want to repeat John Carter. Disney could have cloned Grim Fandango but they didn't. Outside of geek circles it isn't a very recognizable name. I mean it was game of the year, but what percent of people on the street would recognize the name. How many non gamer? How many gamers born after 2000?

If Lucasfilms is making multiple films a year, at least in the short term I would highly doubt any of them are anything but Star Wars or Indy if they decide to go that route.

Back
Top Bottom