• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode I: The Rise of Naboo

On a much happier note, I'm almost done with my commentating on Coruscant, and I have only the last third to go on the audio commentary! Here goes nothing!

Commentating my way through the Naboo/Gungan alliance scene!

Just made a big speech while recording the commentary, and I'm now at the climax! 🥳

I've almost finished reading Jeff Bartsch's book, Edit Better, and I decided to take a few pieces of advice for the sound editing and audio mixing. I decided to apply both audio compressors and EQ to each audio channel and adjust them individually. I'm already in love with the first 5 minutes of audio in the edit, but I will probably have to test it out on my 1080p HDTV just in case my computer speakers are lying to me on something.

I've also been entertaining some ideas to fix the export issues I'm having, and I think I've come up with a few solutions! I found out I can export the commentary track via an audio only track in Linear PCM. So, when I'm going through the film grain overlay stage, I can just pull out the audio-only track and apply it to the rest of the edit! And I think I can do the same thing for the stereo track as well! The only question, though, is whether it will work or not without crashing. There's only one way to find out, but I'm keeping my chin up and assuming the best! The only downside is that I'll probably have to do chapter markers again when I go through the film grain overlay export, which can be a time-consuming annoyance. But otherwise, I think I might be able to export the file with the grain after all!

And finally, yes, I'm recording more commentary stuff for the ending! 😊

I'm now officially halfway through the ending on the commentary track! :giggle:

I finally watched v3.5 (sans audio commentary) on my 1080p HDTV! Everything looked good except for the film grain overlays. The inconsistencies between them were too obvious. I was hoping to use multiple overlays as a way to simulate alternating film reels, but the overlays have different gamma levels, and I also didn’t want to lower the opacity of the overlays because I hate the idea of making the grain less visible. So my plan of attack now is to use just one overlay and stick with it. I’ve thought up one, but I’m not sure if it works for most people. Below is the opening negotiations scene with the color grading and a sample of the film grain overlay I’m thinking of using. What are your thoughts on the this one? Is it too dirty?

Link deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks interesting, but it's kinda hard to judge if you don't have a comparison right next to it!

#staff
@Eyepainter , please remember to disable the download option when sharing clips from Google drive. Thanks!

Looks interesting, but it's kinda hard to judge if you don't have a comparison right next to it!

Technically, there is no comparison. My original plan was to use different film grain overlays every 11 minutes (Which, according to my research, was how long most 35mm film reels usually were). However, this didn't work out as I already stated above because of how inconsistent the brightness levels of the overlays were.

I can send you a comparison video myself, but it's only for that first reel. You would have to watch the whole edit yourself on a 1080p HDTV to see the odd changes in brightness and grain.

After getting a somewhat lukewarm-to-negative response on the film grain overlay (mostly from my friend, NotTheDri0ds over on originaltrilogy.com), I decided to change it up and try again. Since he felt that the grain was too distracting, I decided to use a low film grain overlay this time. This was one of the overlays that suffered from the gamma problem I mentioned earlier, so I readjusted the offset in order to get the color grading as close to what it was before the grain was applied, although I want to make it clear that this is an approximation, and not a re-creation. With my technical jargon aside, here's my latest idea on the grain:

By request of NotTheDri0ds over on originaltrilogy.com, here's one more idea for the film grain overlay. This one has a more noticeable grain, and it's also my favorite overlay, so I hope this is the last time I have to use Vimeo! Lemme know what you think!

NotTheDri0ds approves! I approve! I think the medium grain overlay is the winner, and I believe this means the color grading is complete! 🥳

Now I just have to endure the tedium of finishing up the commentary track, and I will be ready to send Episode I out for submission!

Just two scenes away from completing my Episode I commentary! Once it's completed, I'm gonna start making the necessary steps for submission! :)

The audio commentary is now complete! 😁

I will now begin the process of testing this edit out, and hopefully, I will be submitting this edit sometime this week! 😄

Commentary track came out INSANELY, EAR-SPLITTING-LY LOUD! Going back to lower the volume levels for a re-upload.

Just tested the re-upload, and the commentary track volume is good now. I think v3.5 is complete and ready for submission now. Here are the specifications:

File size: 11.3 GB
Codec: H.264 MPEG-4 AVC (Part 10)
Resolution: 1920x818
Frame rate: 23.976fps

Audio tracks
MPEG AAC 5.1 surround - 960 kbps - 48000 Hz
MPEG AAC 2.0 stereo - 384 kbps - 48000 Hz
MPEG AAC 1.0 commentary - 192 kbps - 48000 Hz

Running time: 1 hour and 32 minutes
47 chapters

And here’s a special thanks to everyone who helped out with v3.5, including:

CaptainFaraday
GMatias
EddieDean
ArtisDead
Mrebo
NotTheDri0ds
DigModiFicaTion
GelflingHand
BrotherOfSasquatch
Necramonium
Canon Editor
theomega
revel911
Mario
…Everyone at fanedit.org!
and everyone at originaltrilogy.com!

I will now begin work on the submission form in fanedit.org! Thanks again to everyone who worked on this! 😘

Back
Top Bottom