• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode I: Shadow of the Sith by L8wrtr

I will be re-assessing what medium makes the most sense in the long-run. Right now usenet is the leading candidate.

L8wrtr said:
I will be re-assessing what medium makes the most sense in the long-run. Right now usenet is the leading candidate.

I am against any storage system that requires payment to use. In a way it even goes against the very spirit of fanediting (share for free, and no one but the legal owners of the material should make a buck out of them). A fanedit stored only in newsgroups is a fanedit I won't see, and one that will get ignored by newcomers, which being new to the medium, will be even less willing to pay for something they don't know if they will like.

File factory is 500GB of space plus unlimited bandwidth for free. I feel like, even as a temporary solution...

After several setbacks, I am proud, and relieved to announce that Shadow of the Sith is now fully rebuilt and available online.

L8wrtr_SOTS_front.jpg

What it is
This new release of Shadow of the Sith is completely sourced from the BluRay release. This means that both picture and sound are the best possible versions available (depending on your point of view).

Shadow of the Sith was my first released edit, and while I'm very proud of the job I did, there were several flaws in the process that I used, and my technique as an editor was still developing. With the BluRay in hand, I have recreated the edit from the ground-up so that both the picture quality and audio fidelity are the best they can be.

This edit was painstakingly recreated cut by cut, audio transition by audio transition, and at each point I re-evaluated my original work and then, as needed applied my more refined experience on how to best make the audio work.

The original 5.1 audio of SOTS was flawed with the LFE track largely non-existent.

There are a few minor tweaks in certain transitions to improve quality and flow, the most noticeable is the transition from Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the Gungan City, to them exiting in the sub. I never liked my original transition, it was the one in the entire edit which stood out as amateurish and so I have fixed it.

All of the original extras are included, but one major difference in presentation is that the Duel of the Fates music ending is now the primary audio track, and the traditional ending is now the alternate track.

The deleted scenes are vastly improved in quality over the original release. They were upscaled to HD for use in the BluRay and AVCHD versions, and these upgrades resulted in far better final appearance for the Standard Definition versions.

Because this edit utilizes the BD source, Adywan's color corrections are no longer part of the edit.

Also, I must apologize, while I did a better job of balancing the commentary against background, the level overall is really low so you have to turn it up, but the balance is now easier to understand.

So, thank you for your patience, I hope that those who chose to re-download this edit will enjoy the upgrade in quality and more refined execution of audio transitions.

Exciting. Thank you again, L8wrtr, for your continued service to the Star Wars and fanediting community!

Misc. question: Are the blu-ray colors vastly different from Adywan's color correction?

I haven't had a chance to do a direct comparison but in my in watching TPM, I'm completely satisfied with the color. Adywan's color of the theatrical DVD improved the scenes on Tatooine and Naboo, however, had a negative impact on the space sequences, aboard the TF Battleships, and on Coruscant.

So I would say that the blu-ray colors are vastly different from the commercial DVDs.

+1 for usenet.

It's far more faster that any of those download services. It'll take me a month before I get anything off of RS.

Outstanding! Thanks, L8!

Wow, they really changed up the info page, huh?

*edited by admin to conform to posting rules*

Um, I really want to watch this but uh, that other place is telling me to click a link which does not work.

DominicCobb said:
Um, I really want to watch this but uh, that other place is telling me to click a link which does not work.

I think right-clicking on that link and selecting 'save link as' is what you want to be doing.

Would someone please point me to a discussion of the four available formats?

Ayreonaut said:

Click "Forum" --> "Private Messages" --> "Send new message" --> To "L8wrtr" --> "Title: Shadow of the Sith" --> Type question you have --> Send.

The rules have been updated right?

Ayreonaut said:

If you're looking for information regarding the release formats themselves, I can address that here. If you're looking for how to acquire, Senior Neglify has provided the correct steps ;).

The remastered version of Shadow of the Sith uses the BluRays as the source for most of the edit with the exception of two deleted scenes which are sourced from the retail DVD release.

The BluRay release is Single Layer at 1080p with really slick menus (courtes of njvc), chapter menu, deleted scenes reel with text commentary (also provided with a chapter menu) commentary audio option and alternat musical ending using traditional score.

The AVCHD has no menu and only contains the 3 audio options.

The Dual Layer DVD is the same as the BluRay except obviously in Standard Def, not HD, but still very nice

The Sigle Layer DVD is essentially like the AVCHD in terms of 'extras' but with the same menu system as BD and DL DVD.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I was asking about what is in the four formats.
I didn't know if it had been discussed already.

Specifically, what is the purpose of each format?
Is the AVCHD intended to be put on a dual layer DVD to play on a PS3?
Thanks for your help.

Ah yes.

AVCHD is burned on a DVD9 and should be playable on any AVCHD compatible bluray players such as a PS3.

Ayreonaut said:
Thanks. I was asking about what is in the four formats.
I didn't know if it had been discussed already.

Specifically, what is the purpose of each format?
Is the AVCHD intended to be put on a dual layer DVD to play on a PS3?
Thanks for your help.

Ah, in that case, it's perfectly fine to discuss this.

Yes, AVCHD is for HD quality on a DVD9.

Or... what L8 just said.

Back
Top Bottom