• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode I: Shadow of the Sith by L8wrtr

L8wrtr said:
The remastered version of Shadow of the Sith uses the BluRays as the source for most of the edit with the exception of two deleted scenes which are sourced from the retail DVD release.

Were those two deleted scenes unavailable on the blu-rays? Did they look comparable when upscaled? I don't have the blu-ray trilogy.

Wait, do I have to buy the Star Wars movies again on blu-ray to burn your blu-ray trilogy? That would...suck...

The deleted scenes were not included on the blu.

And yes, you need to own the blu to download this.

^ Please buy them used off Amazon or eBay or a video store that sells ex-rentals, and the cheapest copies you can find. Don't give any more money to Lucas.

heck, they don't even need to be readable. scratched as hell and broken in half; if it's legitimately in your possession, you can DL.

I think we can get back to the actual edit now. Thank you.

Well, sort of on topic is the Own the Source Rule.

Fanedit.org supports the rights of the copyright holders, therefore it is FE policy that when commercially available sources are available, Faneditors must own a commercially available source for that material at equal or greater resolution in order for the edit to be listed on www.fanedit.org. Viewers who download fanedits should likewise own the source material listed when commercially available.

So for instance, you do not need to own the BD of Unbreakable to download the DVD of Q2's edit, even though it was sourced from BD, you need to at minimum own a DVD of it.

With my three SW edits, to download the AVCHD and BD versions you need to own both the theatrical DVDs as well as the BDs because primary footage comes from the BD, so you need the BD source. The deleted scenes however are only available on the DVD's, so you need to own those in addition.

Let's end the discussion with this. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me directly ;)

On a related note, the AVCHD has been downloaded a lot. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Darth Waller said:
Somehow, some way, I must get this! :)

It's currently available on Rapidshare. I will be uploading to usenet starting today.

Neglify said:
It's currently available on Rapidshare. I will be uploading to usenet starting today.
Maybe I won't have to wait forever (RS) to watch this! Thanks!

We'll be watching it on my home theater system tonight. I'll let you know.

L8wrtr said:
the AVCHD has been downloaded a lot. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Just finished watching. What a great cut of the film! A much richer story than the original. Bravo!

There does seem to be a volume level issue with the commentary track. I went to listen to the commentary track on the DL DVD today and found the volume level to be extremely low. Even with the volume on my laptop at max it was a bit difficult to hear. I ended up demuxing the DVD, amplifying that audio track in Audacity so that it more closely matched the levels of the main movie and creating an MKV with the modified audio file so I could watch the movie with the commentary.

I have not written a full review yet, but I can type up my notes I took while watching the AVCHD. I watched the Seciors, L8wrtr, and Q2 edits back to back. Athough I have some complaints with this edit, it takes place as my definitive edit because I do not like Anakin staying on Naboo during the space battle (Q2) The Q2 edit was soo close to dethrowing you as my favorite one, but Shadows of the Sith keeps that title for the time being. I am also a huge fan of the Seciors edit but it sinks to 3rd place.

Anyway these are my notes for Shadows of the Sith.

Act1 (0-20 min) Perfect
I have a guilty pleasure for salvaging some of the planet core animals eating each other, but oh well. I never deduct points for that omission.

Act 2 (20m-1h:07m)
Restore "But mom you said that the biggest problem in the universe is that no one helps each other"
Cut Quigon controlling the Chance cube
Restore Padme's "You assume too much"
Cut Quigon's "tell them to take off" Ben says it a second later, and Anakin does not relay the message.

Greedo fight scene/ probe droid upconversion could use some color work. They stand out like sore thumbs (unlike the birth of the rebellion stuff in DotE, which is flawless) If you could add a 'dust effect' and throw them into the dust storm I think it would work better.

Quigon's "Nothing happens by 'accident'" sounds like an audio glitch on 'accident.' I need to check the source material on this one.
53:54 is the one audio glitch/editing mistake which took me out of the movie.

Act 3 (1h:07m-End) Perfect
I might complain and say the action scene seems to happen too fast and feels like a fanedit. However it is my favorite cut sofar, so I let it slide. I am fine with Quigon not having last words, but keeping them in the movie doesnt really hurt it. I think its better if he just dies though. The duel of fates at the end credits doesn't work for me and feels VERY un Star Warsish, but I understand why you don't want it to be triumphant. In the end, I would prefer it to not be the default.

My final complaint is that the movie feels slightly imbalanced. Act 2 is twice as long as Acts 1 and 3.

I loved this fan-edit. It is by far my definitive version of the film. I think the only problem with the film is that Episode 1 was made the way that it was. We cant reshoot anything with the actors, we can re-do parts we hated. And we cannot make the movie anymore adult than it already isn't.

That said, I love the series, not as much as the originals but I do love the prequels, cheese and all. I think what L8wrtr has done is taken the wonderful apple pie and added ice cream to it. His edit is soooo much better than the original version. Im the guy that watches the prequels all the way through everytime Spike TV shows them. Im the guy that watches them every day and then will watch the marathon on sunday. I dont think I can watch them in that way now or ever agian. L8wrtr has re-written these films and given us something so wonderful. It is the best version of the film.

Okay okay, there are parts that I would tweak, but guess what. Im not going too. L8wrtr spent his valued time and made an amazing film. I applaud you. In Ep1 I would love to see the whole movie re-shot. In Ep3 I hate hate hate the eperors transformation. L8wrtr did the best he could without removing it alltogether. I like what he did, but I hate the monster voice the emperor has. I love the silent sequence as Anakin falls to the darkside. Its just so emotional.

Im glad R2 doesnt fly, but i didnt have a problem with it, and the Clone Wars cartoon does flying pretty well. When necessary of course.

Im just so impressed by L8wrtr, as a fellow editor (not fan edits) I applaud your dedication and creativity. I see your vision and am so grateful you shared it with all of us and the world.

I cant wait to watch them again, in order as soon as Episode 2 is re-released.

I love these versions.

DominicCobb said:
Maybe I won't have to wait forever (RS) to watch this!
I started DL-ing the AVCHD from RS on Saturday...almost done! ;)

Back
Top Bottom