• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars EP VII: Heir to the Force (Prolonged Reveal)

DigModiFicaTion said:
*Quick update*

First off, Thank You to those who previewed the file and gave feedback. I will be addressing some technical issues that were pointed out, namely the video ratio and a few dropped frames. I will also use this time to work on a few specific requests (revel911 I think you'll be happy  ;)) This may push a potential release back, but I hope it will enhance the experience of this edit. Thank you again for your ongoing support!

I'll post some video later today.

Make his voice staticky as well!

I will look at the fan edit this weekend.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this mate, my computer has been freezing up lately so I had to restart it a lot (three times today) which cut off the download. I'll get to it as soon as possible.

Zarius said:
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this mate, my computer has been freezing up lately so I had to restart it a lot (three times today) which cut off the download. I'll get to it as soon as possible.

No problem. If you can wait, the corrections and requests will be coming within the next day or so. Should be ready to preview by the weekend.

Some of the pixelation from being so zoomed on a few scenes was my a bit distracting. Why did you have Snoke, mention "your father," still gave away too much.

I liked the pacing. I am still curious if there is a way to push Ren in Kylo's head during their scene with her tied up. Maybe hearing voice in his head.

Thanks for viewing the preview and for the feedback revel911!

revel911 said:
Some of the pixelation from being so zoomed on a few scenes was my a bit distracting.

That is the byproduct of having to crop the scenes in order to take his face out. Can you give me timestamps?

revel911 said:
Why did you have Snoke, mention "your father," still gave away too much.

While it does give some of the story away, it acts as a misdirect. With the Sith defeated and the new Jedi order on the rise, it makes sense that Kylo Ren is a younger fallen Jedi. He already has a connection to Luke in that sense. In order to preserve some of the character development of Han and Leia, I felt this line was needed. If it wasn't there, none of the other comments by Han and Leia are pertinent and would require deletion. Leaving in the line allows for us to learn more about Han and Leia without a total give away. Some times, I feel that a misdirected cue can have a greater impact when the truth is revealed. The first time viewer will wonder who his father is up until the catwalk reveal. The hope is that the omitted lines and added lines about Luke will act to misdirect his parentage towards Luke. 

revel911 said:
I liked the pacing. I am still curious if there is a way to push Ren in Kylo's head during their scene with her tied up. Maybe hearing voice in his head.

Do you mean to have the voice in Rey's head? If so, it would be a departure from the established methods he already has shown earlier in the film. It would still require the cropping. I could do a force vision-esque thing and show the cut scenes from the ending (the island) along with shots of her alone and then of Han Solo, but that could become distracting and I'd have to think up a way to implement it that somewhat mirrors other Star Wars films. The only way I could think of is to mirror Anakin's force vision of the babies and Padme. Personally, I think that would be too jarring.

I haven’t seen the edit but that would seem quite difficult to pull off.

New Disclaimer
[align=center]

Snoke pronounced hologram
I reviewed prequel, OT, CW, Rebels, EU games, etc. to analyze the look of Star Wars holograms and decided to take an updated approach of A New Hope's look (more blue) and treat this as a projected hologram as seen in A New Hope. As always, I'd love to hear your feedback. Hope you enjoy it!​

[align=center]

DigModiFicaTion said:
New Disclaimer
[align=center]

Snoke pronounced hologram
I reviewed prequel, OT, CW, Rebels, EU games, etc. to analyze the look of Star Wars holograms and decided to take an updated approach of A New Hope's look (more blue) and treat this as a projected hologram as seen in A New Hope. As always, I'd love to hear your feedback. Hope you enjoy it!​

[align=center]

Wow is this impressive!  This has been done in an amazingway!  Well done!

Dude, amazing. In my head that looked better, but now.... Wow

What about a static over snokes voice just enough to give it that, calling from a distant land feel?

Btw, for Kylos voice in Rey's head, I have an idea? The deleted scene where smoke mentions Vader. The visuals are incomplete, but you have the audio. I just wondered, how does she know about Vader?

Thank you Canon Editor and revel911!

Revel911, I really appreciate how much you've challenged me with this edit. Though I had hoped to make Snoke into a hologram, I would not have even attempted this had you not requested it. It's amazing, the inspiration that comes when you have to figure out how to do something that is otherwise impossible in your mind. Perhaps I tapped into the magic that was the fx in the original trilogy :)

revel911 said:
What about a static over snokes voice just enough to give it that, calling from a distant land feel?

I thought about this request, but upon reviewing Vader and Palpatine's hologram conversation from empire, there was no static. Handheld and smaller projected holograms do have the staticky sound in SW, but I feel that this is a state of the art hologram projector and that the dialogue should be as crisp as the original cut. They pumped who knows how much of their resources into Starkiller Base, I'd like to think that they bought a good audio receiver system also :)

revel911 said:
Btw, for Kylos voice in Rey's head, I have an idea? The deleted scene where smoke mentions Vader. The visuals are incomplete, but you have the audio. I just wondered, how does she know about Vader?

I'm not aware of this deleted scene. Is it on the BluRay? I've glanced through the deleted scenes on the BluRay, but don't remember this one. As to knowing about Darth Vader, it's my understanding that when she resists Kylo Ren, she also pries into his mind and she sees and feels his thoughts. She sees Darth Vader and she feels his fear in not being as strong as Vader. I also have a theory that she calls upon the image (what she saw of Vader's power) to defeat Kylo Ren after he mentions the Force during the duel. This would explain her sudden aggression and fighting technique. There's no knowing what she saw, but I'd like to think that she was influenced by the dark side when she pried into Kylo's mind. Perhaps this will be a seed that leads her down a dark path in ep VIII?

*edit*
Checked around on youtube and found this edit by Jeff Rittenour
[align=center]
I believe you are referring to the novelization. I have the novelization on my audible from amazon when the movie came out, but forgot about this dialogue. What does everyone think? Does this add to the story? Does it slow the pace too much? It wouldn't be too hard to do some audio editing to the novelization to add the right amount of echo to mirror the film. The visual editing would be similar to what Jeff Rittenour did in that video (with addition of the hologram Snoke of course :))​

For those following this thread (A BIG THANK YOU BTW) would you like me to insert these novelization lines?​

Not is the novel I was thinking of, something needs to happen in that time, maybe even vaders breathing building right before Kylos pulls off and she says the Vader line.

great job on snoke's scan lines!

Thanks ssj!

revel911 said:
Not is the novel I was thinking of, something needs to happen in that time, maybe even vaders breathing building right before Kylos pulls off and she says the Vader line.

I originally had Vader's breathing sfx right when Kylo Ren pulled away. I'm not sure why I let it drop out of the edit. I'll throw it back in and test it out again.

I'm working on some rotoscoping during the interrogation scene in order to back off from some of the more major cropping and resulting pixellation.

that was one of the scenes with the pixelation, other was later with Hux , Snoke and Kylo

revel911 said:
that was one of the scenes with the pixelation, other was later with Hux , Snoke and Kylo

I may be able to borrow a far shot to take the place of the Hux shot. It's extremely difficult to rotoscope a 2d image and keyframe it in a way to mimic human movement. I'll see if I can preserve the original, but it may have to go.

DigModiFicaTion said:
revel911 said:

I may be able to borrow a far shot to take the place of the Hux shot. It's extremely difficult to rotoscope a 2d image and keyframe it in a way to mimic human movement. I'll see if I can preserve the original, but it may have to go.

Need to find a Ren helmet, so you can green screen it on.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Compositing is taking a bit longer than I had hoped, especially because I'm just learning how to do this :)

Any tips from editors that have accomplished exceptional compositing would be very much appreciated.

I have about 4 shots that I'm working on from the Interrogation and Kylo, Hux, Snoke conversation that directly follows the scene.

Here's a view of the current chaos :)

[img=500x300]http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y328/digmodification/rotoscope_zps6n7lvukp.png[/img]

Congratulations on you accomplishing some of that!

Back
Top Bottom