• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars EP VII: Heir to the Force (Prolonged Reveal)

ironman23 said:
Like I said earlier, I'd be more than happy to re color the film for ya :) being that you've already done so much with vfx, cropping, audio work etc. 

As for the settings, each program obviously has different results due to different levels of control. Adobe elements (I'm a cheapskate) offers the best controls over individual colors with saturation, brightness and hues for what I achieved with my own tests

I'd be interested in collaborating on this. What file size would you want for a recolor? I know you posted some pre/post color correction shots earlier. Could you post say, 10 or so from the most major scenes to be color corrected and we can pick out the target color theme approach? I kind of like the contrast of the film, but it seems that some colors are too saturated? I'm excited to try out some active collaboration :D

DigModiFicaTion said:
ironman23 said:
Like I said earlier, I'd be more than happy to re color the film for ya :) being that you've already done so much with vfx, cropping, audio work etc. 

As for the settings, each program obviously has different results due to different levels of control. Adobe elements (I'm a cheapskate) offers the best controls over individual colors with saturation, brightness and hues for what I achieved with my own tests

I'd be interested in collaborating on this. What file size would you want for a recolor? I know you posted some pre/post color correction shots earlier. Could you post say, 10 or so from the most major scenes to be color corrected and we can pick out the target color theme approach? I kind of like the contrast of the film, but it seems that some colors are too saturated? I'm excited to try out some active collaboration :D

Awesome, sounds like a plan. Once my Star Trek edit is done exporting I could work on screenshot tests, and as for a file size I'd say keep it no more than 1gb IF possible. If not, then I'll use a backup program

I would suggest something a bit bigger than 1 GB. Depending on the resolution, that's a LOT of compression. I'm not a color correction expert, but I think the less compressed a file is, the more effective color work would be.

Aztek463 said:
I would suggest something a bit bigger than 1 GB. Depending on the resolution, that's a LOT of compression. I'm not a color correction expert, but I think the less compressed a file is, the more effective color work would be.

Good point, since I have plenty in mind for the work.

I was thinking 10gb at least.

It would need to have the greatest resolution and clarity in order to act as a source file. Otherwise it would be a lot of hard work that couldn't be applied to higher quality versions.

Here is something I did on the Han death scene/saber duel awhile back. Contrast may leave something to be desired but hopefully colors are good 'ol fashioned OT natural.

Looks good ironman23. I really like the fleshtones that you were able to bring out in Ren's face on the catwalk. It may just be the fact that the snow isn't blue, but does it look like it has an almost redish pink tint? Ren's lightsaber looks great. I never realized how pink it was before this comparison video. Do you take each shot and color correct or do a more liberal application?

Nah, lol too lazy to do shot by shot. But again, the theatrical grading never begs to be fixed so I just did an overall scene correction by first removing the teal and then adding a tad bit of yellow in the shadow's to help with fleshtones. Thanks for the compliment man!

ironman23 said:
Nah, lol too lazy to do shot by shot. But again, the theatrical grading never begs to be fixed so I just did an overall scene correction by first removing the teal and then adding a tad bit of yellow in the shadow's to help with fleshtones. Thanks for the compliment man!

I may try again to replicate what you accomplished here. That might help with streamlining the process. Do you have screen shots of your color correction setting? I honestly have never really spent enough time with color corrections to really go at them full on. I usually use a color balance filter which is much easier, but less precise.

DigModiFicaTion said:
ironman23 said:

I may try again to replicate what you accomplished here. That might help with streamlining the process. Do you have screen shots of your color correction setting? I honestly have never really spent enough time with color corrections to really go at them full on. I usually use a color balance filter which is much easier, but less precise.

Sure thing, I'll get some screenshots as soon as I can for several scenes since I personally use different ones for different scenes (i.e. Jakku at night and then day, starkiller base/the finalizer, etc.)

As requested, here are multiple screenshots covering the settings I use for coloring. I don't know if you will be able to replicate ALL that I've done, but these two scenes here pretty much cover two aspects of the movie. Those being the first set with the duel covers Starkiller base, inside the millenium falcon (not on jakku), the rathtar sequence, outside Maz's castle and the resistance base. The second set with Maz's interior covers Jakku and Maz's interior (obviously). Hope these come in handy!

ironman23 said:
As requested, here are multiple screenshots covering the settings I use for coloring. I don't know if you will be able to replicate ALL that I've done, but these two scenes here pretty much cover two aspects of the movie. Those being the first set with the duel covers Starkiller base, inside the millenium falcon (not on jakku), the rathtar sequence, outside Maz's castle and the resistance base. The second set with Maz's interior covers Jakku and Maz's interior (obviously). Hope these come in handy!

It looks like you are cutting blues and adding red to dark scenes; increasing red saturation and desaturating blues and and flesh tones on lighted scenes? Are you using a black tint also?

*UPDATE*
The file rendered  :D The disclaimer didn't fade in right  :dodgy: but I know it will render correctly now :)

Question about scenes with smoke and those with holograms. I'm noticing in scenes on Jakku (beginning especially), Takonada, and holograms that the smoke and other particles wreak havoc on the picture and create tons of pixelation. I've tried to meet the request of a 720p 4gb file in order to plug and play, but I'm not sure if a 720p 4gb file can address this issue. For those that will be viewing the 4gb file, is this an issue to you? If so, do you have tips on how to fix the pixelation of these scenes?

Not long now.

Here's a new full HD Fanedit.org title card based on the new logo. Thanks to ThrowgnCpr for the source image and font!
[align=center]

DigModiFicaTion said:
ironman23 said:

It looks like you are cutting blues and adding red to dark scenes; increasing red saturation and desaturating blues and and flesh tones on lighted scenes? Are you using a black tint also?

*UPDATE*
The file rendered  :D The disclaimer didn't fade in right  :dodgy: but I know it will render correctly now :)

Question about scenes with smoke and those with holograms. I'm noticing in scenes on Jakku (beginning especially), Takonada, and holograms that the smoke and other particles wreak havoc on the picture and create tons of pixelation. I've tried to meet the request of a 720p 4gb file in order to plug and play, but I'm not sure if a 720p 4gb file can address this issue. For those that will be viewing the 4gb file, is this an issue to you? If so, do you have tips on how to fix the pixelation of these scenes?

Not long now.

Here's a new full HD Fanedit.org title card based on the new logo. Thanks to ThrowgnCpr for the source image and font!
[align=center]

Sort of, lol on the whole color grading. I'll post some more comparisons to give a better sense of things for ya. Also in terms of pixellation I would say maybe add a bit of noise to the overall edit, make a 5 gb file size (it's not uncommon) and go for a two pass render when exporting.

Sorry, didn't mean that as bluntly as it may have come across. I just realized that my browser filter (dark reader) messed with the color a bit.  :blush:

I've been looking at some despecialized screen shots of tatooine and I think the real answer is just a general desaturation. The original tint seems correct, it's just too amplified.

These are some screens of the straight 25% desaturation

I only post them to sympathize with you. It's not easy, especially because it's subjective. The first link works for me (color wise). In the second link, the first shot of Leia works for me, the trouble of a generalized desaturation shows up in the last image of kylo ren though. The purplish/magenta hue is still there. I'll play around with the color balance to see if I can get some more red.​

Hey it's all good man, you never once came across as blunt on your reply. I apologize if I was rude in any way, I never meant anything negative myself. Thank you for being honest with me and giving me the tips you did as they really help better my techniques  :)

Also your screenshots look really good and what I myself have been trying to achieve, good work!  :)

Back
Top Bottom