• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars EP VII: Heir to the Force (Prolonged Reveal)

I love that you have removed Han using the crossbow. Han has known Chewie for 35 years and has never once used his crossbow...yeah right,  Well he used it to escape from Kajiclub and the Raphtas. Your new Raphta edit is great, not much more could be done to make it bearable to watch. The raphtas look like something out of the Ghostbusters.

If i had input into the script i would have personally had Han and Chewie already on the Falcon in Jakku when Finn and Rey escape from the stormtroopers. Han would have just tracked down the falcon at the scrap yard after searching for it for years because Han lost it gambling or had to repay a smuggling debt. Just as they were about to take off Finn and Rey jump onboard and this is how they all meet. Han and Chewie actually fly the Falcon off Jakku . I cant wrap my head around Rey being able to fly the way she did. When did she have access as a young girl to learn to fly. She spent her life scavenging for food to keep herself alive.

Also i would remove the big deal lines between Han and Finn. Finn shows a lack of respect, i personally think you must earn the respect or at least have a friendship before you start calling someone by their surname. Finn then calls him Solo again as they walk to Maz castle.

Is there away to only hear Snoke and not necessarily see him. Maybe just shots of Kylo and Hux looking up as he talks or make the picture darker so we just see Snoke's face partially.

I like Kylo's tantrums after all he is a spoilt brat  It makes him conflicted but i totally understand why you choose to cut some of this out.

Removing Luke at the end is intriguing. I would definitely have moved the helicopter shot at the end, it just doesnt fit into Star Wars. It reminds me of Highlander or Cliffhanger. Just does not fit. I worry about episode 8 having lots of these shots while Rey is training.

Nothing to do with this edit but i do think the best part of the film is when we meet Rey scavenging, the music and the feel of loneliness is wonderful, JJ got it spot on , however, during this early part of the film i would have had a couple of scenes whereby Rey struggles to move a heavy piece of scrap, she is too weak , Rey then gets frustrated and actually moves the scrap slightly with her mind but does not necessarily know why and how she does it. This makes the Daniel Craig stormtrooper scene less ridiculous. All of a sudden Rey knows how to use the force.

And if you are some kind of rotoscoping genius , please have Phasma fight Finn during the battle at Maz castle...not just some random stormtrooper...

These are just a few of my ideas but this is your edit and i cant wait to see what you accomplish

Last Impressions said:
Is there away to only hear Snoke and not necessarily see him. Maybe just shots of Kylo and Hux looking up as he talks or make the picture darker so we just see Snoke's face partially.

Nothing to do with this edit but i do think the best part of the film is when we meet Rey scavenging, the music and the feel of loneliness is wonderful, JJ got it spot on , however, during this early part of the film i would have had a couple of scenes whereby Rey struggles to move a heavy piece of scrap, she is too weak , Rey then gets frustrated and actually moves the scrap slightly with her mind but does not necessarily know why and how she does it. This makes the Daniel Craig stormtrooper scene less ridiculous. All of a sudden Rey knows how to use the force.

For Snoke, I just always wanted there to be that blue tint they have for Palpatine with the transmission going in and out.

I have never understood the problem with Rey learning the force quickly. It's all down to Kylo Ren trying to get in her head and not being strong enough to keep her out of his. If she was able to gather the history of Vader, why not his training in using the force?

It's like Neo learning Kung Fu in the Matrix, quick download and then practice.

revel911 said:
I have never understood the problem with Rey learning the force quickly. It's all down to Kylo Ren trying to get in her head and not being strong enough to keep her out of his. If she was able to gather the history of Vader, why not his training in using the force?

I didn't have a problem with it as is, but I never considered this. I really like your explanation and it is now my head canon.

Last Impressions said:
I love that you have removed Han using the crossbow. Han has known Chewie for 35 years and has never once used his crossbow...yeah right,  Well he used it to escape from Kajiclub and the Raphtas. Your new Raphta edit is great, not much more could be done to make it bearable to watch. The raphtas look like something out of the Ghostbusters.

Thanks Last Impression, I really appreciate your feedback!

I think your script ideas would require adywan-esque skills that I just don't have resources or talents for, sorry :(

Last Impressions said:

I'm inclined to visit revel911's idea and add that blue filtered tint to the image. I remember the first time watching the movie and seeing Snoke; I was totally taken out of the movie and thought "this isn't star wars, this is Harry Potter!" Then the image flickered out and the blue hologram filter came through. I think adding that hologram filter would achieve the purpose and make it more Star Wars-y. *adding to my to-do list* 

Last Impressions said:
Removing Luke at the end is intriguing. I would definitely have moved the helicopter shot at the end, it just doesnt fit into Star Wars. It reminds me of Highlander or Cliffhanger. Just does not fit. I worry about episode 8 having lots of these shots while Rey is training.

*This response is from the first page of this thread at the end of the cutlist*
DigModiFicaTion said:
The reason for this particular decision was to mirror the OT in how they end. The OT trilogy ended two ways, a victorious celebration (IV and VI) or an adventurous plan set in motion (V). Showing Luke at the end of the movie is like showing scenes of Han frozen in carbonite in the trunk of Slave I. The scene with Luke doesn't really advance the story and it removes the sense of episodic closure the OT accomplished with each episode. We know that there will be a Star Wars VIII, we know that Luke will be in it, we didn't see Luke the entire movie, why not just wait? He was in the movie to sell the movie. I'm already sold on the movie, so out he goes so that we can focus on Rey, Ren, and Fin.

Last Impressions said:

*taken from a response to a  similar post in the spoilers thread*
DigModiFicaTion said:
I too had an issue with how fast she picked up the force, but upon reflection it can be explained pretty simply.

Maz informed Rey that the force was calling to her, implying that Rey has the force. She, Rey, doesn't understand or care when this happens. When captured by Kylo Ren, he shows Rey that the force can be used to control the thoughts of others when he tries to extract the information from her. She resists and in so doing discovers that she can access the force to read his thoughts. Then, in desperation, she tries to enter the mind of the stormtrooper and eventually succeeds. Now her confidence and familiarity with the force, although in its infancy, has begun. Again, in desperation she calls out to the lightsaber, and it comes to her. Then in desperation she calls on the force to help her defeat Kylo Ren. Nothing is superheroish here. People are able to do impossible things when they are forced to achieve the impossible in order to survive or save someone else. In Rey's case, both applied. Luke did the exact same thing when he pinpointed the death star trench shot in desperation. The difference between the two is that Rey has no physical mentor that uses the force. We have no person to place the genesis of her knowledge directly on.  Maz has explicitly told us that the force is calling to Rey. It can therefore be assumed that the force is Rey's mentor. The force willed Anakin into being, the force willed Luke into his destiny, the force now wills Rey into her role. She's seen the force in action so she knows what it  can do. She simply is more attuned to it. Then there's the whole theory of quantity of force users to potency of force ability.....yadda yadda yadda.... 

Again, thank you for your feedback and interest in the edit. I apologize for lack of updates the past few days. My charger was damaged in shipping and I haven't had access to my laptop as a result. I will be holding off posting some of the changes as they would negate the reason to watch the edit. My hope is to apply some of the suggestions mentioned in this thread and see if they work in this edit and then create a preview file within the week.

If anyone has tips for creating the hologram look for Snoke I'd greatly appreciate them. Please note that I'm using Sony Vegas (not the pro version). I'll do frame by frame if needed. :)

Thanks everyone!

Are you taking out the flashbacks/ flash forwards? They were NEVER used anywhere else. If we want to have a voice over or something as we did when Yoda peaked into the future, I am okay with it. But as it stands, no!

I like your idea of Vader or something when happening as well with Kylo peaks into Rey's head as that will help others realize the force is being awakened in her.

revel911 said:
For Snoke, I just always wanted there to be that blue tint they have for Palpatine with the transmission going in and out.

I like this. It would explain her reaction to Kylo Ren's "I can teach you the ways of the force" line during the duel. She remembers his thoughts of Vader, and then draws on them to win the duel. That would explain her aggression during the fight. Then after she strikes him down, she returns to her Rey self, a person prone to the light side, and runs. This also explains Kylo Ren's line as it mirrors Vader's userperish Empire Strikes back "join me and we can rule the galaxy" lines. Especially after Snoke just made it clear that he thought Ren was weak.

revel911 said:
Are you taking out the flashbacks/ flash forwards? They were NEVER used anywhere else. If we want to have a voice over or something as we did when Yoda peaked into the future, I am okay with it. But as it stands, no!

I like your idea of Vader or something when happening as well with Kylo peaks into Rey's head as that will help others realize the force is being awakened in her.

Not sure what you are referrencing. Are you referring to some edits, edit ideas, or something else?

DigModiFicaTion said:
revel911 said:

Not sure what you are referrencing. Are you referring to some edits, edit ideas, or something else?

Thinking of edit ideas

revel911 said:
Thinking of edit ideas

Ah.

I wasn't planning on any flashback/forward additions for this edit. I agree with you that they Re out of place with what we know a Star Wars movie to be. I will leave the force vision in as I love how it worked both visually and from a narrative standpoint. It's like the cave on dagobah, but upgraded.

I toyed around with the musical cues during the bridge scene but ultimately I've been unable to find the right feel this far. I have the right cue for Han's reveal and when Ben takes off his mask, I even found a good transition piece from the x-wing battle to Kylo walking out on the catwalk. I just need to find some stuff for thr e part when Han approaches the catwalk and begins to talk. I'll attempt to upload tonight.

I've also been thinking of removing the trench run scene. Thoughts?

The idea would be to maintain as much as possible in order to leave in the sense of the dire situation, losing pilots, but remove the obvious episode IV-esque trench sequence. It's not as bad to me as it used to be, but I'd like something a bit different than obvious repeat.

revel911 said:
Do have any flashbacks in Star Wars movies?

Not specifically, but each era has had its own version of seeing things with the force. Anakin had dreams, Luke saw his fight with Vader while training on Dagobah, and now Rey has visions when coming into contact with a certain object. They are arguably the same thing, just shown differently.

And I always thought Luke hearing Kenobi's voice at the end of the first one was an audio flashback, thoughI realize that it could be the force ghost talking to him.

Well I thought I'd think about a poster for the edit. I'd really like something minimal. These are two ideas I just threw together. I'm not graphic artist. Thoughts, suggestions, etc?​

Anyone interested in lending their talents to produce some art for this project?

I'm really digging the third one, with the screaming of classic star wars

The third one is definitely a winner.

Smithers said:
I like the Kylo reveal at the end. It's something that I've been thinking of since I first saw it in theatres. I recommend adding a subtle musical cue when Han says "the face of my son". Otherwise good work!

As requested  :)

The video presents an unedited version and an edited version of this clip for comparison. Let me know what you think.

​

At first, I believed this scene was best off w/o any music as in the theatrical release, but again you somehow managed to make your ideas work very well :) so hats off to you, man!

The music really strengthens that scene, well added :D

You know what... I wasn't too keen on the idea of this edit.... The original reveal in the film felt extremely intentional trying to subvert people's expectations and I thought it worked.

But DAMN are these videos enticing!  :p

Great work, dude!

Back
Top Bottom