• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek: Reunion by TM2YC - Fanedit of 'The Motion Picture'

^Yeah, that sounded awkward. I just mean because I've been pushing him to work on the Star Wars Lost Cut project but he's dogged determined to stick to this one, and yet I'm still happy and looking forward to how this one turned out.

And I'll be honest, I hate your stinking guts, Frink. You make me vomit. You're scum between my toes.

;)

Since he did a decent job voicing my TM2YC titlecard, I asked my good friend Orson Welles to come back and voice the trailer for 'Star Trek: Reunion' :p...

(Click Vimeo Button ^ to watch in fullscreen HD)

I've never made a trailer before because I hate making them with a passion. So for a first effort I'm very pleased with it.

- Mixed the audio from a couple Orson Welles voiced TMP Trailers (The "Christmas" reference was a lucky break!)
- Replaced visuals with shots from 'Reunion'. You might spot a few FXshots that I've altered
- Added additional SoundFX

Still planning to release the edits this weekend :).

Cutlist done, artwork finished (Plus last-minute alternate artwork), listing written and submitted to the usual place. Live Long and have a Merry Christmas y'all! :)

giphy.gif

Time for glass of Mulled Wine

Congrats on finishing!

It is going to be a Merry Trekking Christmas!!!! :D

At the request of Rogue-theX, I've rendered a smaller Standard-Definition-ish MP4, for those with limited bandwidth and/or hardrive space (Just like me actually :-D). Details:

960x408 1.14GB MP4

It looks surprisingly decent considering the compact size and bitrate :).

^ Thanks a bunch man, really looking forward to this one :)

Just wanted to thank TM2YC for this wonderful holiday present. I watched last night and it was a great experience! I will post a full review once IFDB is back up and running. :)

Now that IFDB is back I finally got to read the review by [MENTION=9288]Brumous[/MENTION] that I'd seen mentioned. Thanks for the kind words...

I'd give the original movie a 5 or 6 for enjoyment so Star Trek Reunion is a starship sized upgrade in that department

Enjoyment: 9

Wow that's quite an upgrade in the score :).

From my review on IFDB.....

TM2YC's Star Trek Reunion is the fan edit I have been most anticipating so far this year, and I am very happy to report the wait has been well worth it. TM2YC has injected new energy into this film and delivers a solid, more enjoyable reinterpretation.

First off, let's be crystal clear, this may the BEST LOOKING version of STTMP EVER!!! The colours are vibrant and rich, instantly refreshing the viewing experience and injecting some of the lost wonder into the voyage through V'GER. Absolutely beautiful work by the editor! There are some scenes of obvious lower video quality, but I do not mind them as they are vital to the narration. In fact, I wish a few more had been used for continuity, such as showing Chapel arriving on the bridge to help Chekov instead of her just mysteriously appearing from off stage.

The revised narration is faster paced and well executed. Kirk appears slightly less ineffective and more commanding, while his relationship with Decker is still challenging, it comes across slightly more respectful and professional. Personally, I miss McCoy's mistrust of Spock subplot, as it always seemed appropriate to me and added some needed extra tension and added another dynamic to the theft of the spacesuit scene.

Love the audio work. Great new music cues and background sound FXs throughout the edit. My favourite was by far was hearing the bridge computer say, "Working....". Pure Trek awesomeness!!!
Though I really wish Sulu's dreadful offscreen "Why...why it's...." line had been cut...lol.

The journey to the heart of V'GER, while shorter than the original, and as I said before, more wondrous due to the colour work, still feels long and drawn out. I wish at least another minute or more had been cut, to try and keep the original series tone and pacing.

So many wonderful things about this edit.... while I still prefer the DC version of Vulcan, TY2YC offers a gorgeous looking alternative.... the klingon battlecruisers looked magnificent (and thank you for showing the fate of the mysteriously lost 3rd ship).... the new end title card....

So much time and work went into this edit, almost every single scene has been tweaked in some manner and it all pays off very nicely.

The dvd menu is very lovely, tying into TY2YC's dvd art design (...oh, and I LOVE the second dvd art too... reminds me of the original teaser poster for the movie--well done!!!), though I wish the fan edit trailer had been included with it too.

A truly wonderful fan edit that now sits proudly on my shelf with my Star Trek collection.

Highly recommend. THUMBS UP! :)

bionicbob said:
this may the BEST LOOKING version of STTMP EVER!!!

Wow!

bionicbob said:
Love the audio work. Great new music cues and background sound FXs throughout the edit. My favourite was by far was hearing the bridge computer say, "Working....". Pure Trek awesomeness!!!

I'm glad I kept back a few surprises ;-).

bionicbob said:
I really wish Sulu's dreadful offscreen "Why...why it's...." line had been cut...lol.

Oh, really? I love the way that flows into Kirk finishing his sentence with an exasperated "Spock". I hope me inserting the shot of Sulu looking over his chair just before delivering the line, at least made it slightly less odd than it was in the original cut.

bionicbob said:
thank you for showing the fate of the mysteriously lost 3rd ship

Thanks for the idea!

I've been going through the STR project folder to clear it out and freeup space on my hardrive and found a brief old test clip from my aborted attempt to add animated readouts to Spock's Sickbay Monitor. I thought you might find it interesting as a glimpse of what could have been, if only I'd been able to properly motion-track the screen...

(Click Vimeo link to watch in HD. Password: fanedit.org)

Obviously it's just a still from the movie with my hand-animated readout overlayed on top. It would have been very cool to have seen this in the edit but nevermind.

You could make a YTMND page out of that;-)

Thanks for taking the time on a very detailed review Toonloon...

There's a very warm push in the colours which make the colour scheme pop and look vibrant in HD. In particular, the external shots look absolutely gorgeous. Some facial tones can look a little too warm at times and unfortunately Spock loses some of his yellow pallor in some close ups, but on the whole the editor has made the film look gorgeous.

Yeah keeping the tone of the uniforms, the tone of the bridge walls and the skintones was hard enough but Spock having a different skintone made it even more difficult to judge :-D.

the first thing you notice is the V'ger first person journey... over the beginning credits... it helps connect V'Ger to Spock in a much stronger way than was originally done. This for me this is an inspired choice from the editor.

Sweet! That was exactly what I intented. Glad it worked :).

I would have preferred either an external shot of Vulcan from space (either taken from the 2009 movie or STIII:TSFS with a caption to place the movie after the credits, or a title card over the fantastic new matte shot created by the editor for this version.

I didn't want to use any FX that would look too "modern" but I did try shots from ST3 originally in this early test clip (01.44 & 07.33)...

(Password: fanedit.org)

I also didn't want to use onscreen-location-captions, neither of the two original cuts of TMP used them either. It's personnal taste but I don't like them generally. The worst is usually "London, England"... as opposed to "London, Mongolia" :p.

I believe the Spock Kolinarh scene could have been stronger if it was edited back to front... after the titles, I would have liked to have seen Spock looking up immediately to make that connection between him and V'ger stronger.

It was edited back to front :-D. In the original cut of TMP Spock looks upwards before he goes before the priests as you suggest. I switched that scene around quite a bit. I wanted Spock to only begin sensing V'Ger halfway through when he halts the ceremony, and then end with him gazing skywards in contemplation.

This is the original cut...

I thought it was unclear in that what Spock was looking at, or thinking about because we don't yet know that his mind is distracted. Also the final shot seems to focus more on Spock regreting his failed test, rather than looking outwards at the reason he failed it.

I feel a shot of the Earth or of a Starbase from III or VI would have helped or even a title card with "Earth, Stardate blah blah" etc.

I experimented with that too but couldn't get anything to work as I could never match the existing TMP earth matte paintings that sit behind the transfer station, drydock and Enterprise. Maybe I was relying a bit too much on people seeing Kirk, a blue planet and hearing the Starfleet theme music and putting that all together themselves.

great tightening of editing throughout the movie but Act 2 and 3 pretty much play out as they did originally.

There are hundreds of small cuts to Acts 2 and 3 in every scene (If you didn't notice them happening yay :)) but you're right there aren't the big scene removals like in Act 1, and there is less and less removed as the edit goes onwards. Act 1 was where I felt the reall problems lay.

All in all, this fan edit is my preferred version

Fanedit praise don't get no better. Thanks :).

Ah! Now I understand your thinking on the ceremony. I presumed that Spock was distracted way before the scene, especially as you link the cloud to him in the very first scene with Spock which is why I would have liked to have seen him looking back at it in the very beginning then ending with him bending to pick up the necklace and then looking back up again. I agree with you that your rough version doesn't quite work with that cut away to the cloud. It's a great idea but unfortunately you don't have the footage to make it work. Spock meditating alone with all of that going on either over the sound or in dissolves could have done it and then have him go meet the elders.

All of the points I made just come down to personal taste, so they are by no means a criticism when I say "I would have done that differently." Au contraire, if it wasn't for such a fine edit I wouldn't have had the idea in the first place.

Your wonderful achievement here has compelled me to search out another of your edits. Looking forward to "From Hell" next. :)

Also thanks for the review ghouldetail...

It honestly looks the best I've ever seen it look, all the time the editor spent getting it to look this gorgeous has, without doubt, made this my go-to version for whenever I watch STTMP from now on. Which is going to be more often than it would have been before watching this fanedit.

Awesome! I didn't care for TMP myself before making this edit and probably only watched it all the way through once. But now I think I've made a version I can happily enjoy, quite often, alongside ST2-6. So great if you can now enjoy it more often too. Afterall, Spock's arc from the rigidly Logical-Vulcan we mostly see in TOS, to the wise pragmatist we see in the rest of movies is well worth watching in TMP :) (And I hadn't appreciated it before). Moments like Spock saying "Logic is the beginning of wisdom" to Valeris in ST6, have so much more weight when you've seen Spock's epiphany after the mind-meld with V'Ger.

Back
Top Bottom