• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: Reunion by TM2YC - Fanedit of 'The Motion Picture'

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Toonloon said:
Ah! Now I understand your thinking on the ceremony

I'd like to see your take on the scene. I enjoy seeing how other faneditors handle the same material. e.g. This flashback take was on YouTube...

^ The execution isn't great but the idea is solid.

Toonloon said:
All of the points I made just come down to personal taste, so they are by no means a criticism when I say "I would have done that differently."

Not at all, I really enjoy reading peoples thoughts on my edits.

Toonloon said:
Looking forward to "From Hell" next. :)

I was looking back at that yesterday as it happens, while sorting out my hardrive. I was pleasantly surprised that the edits are still good. It's one of my favourite edits I've done, if I say so myself. I won't say "hope you enjoy it" as I hope you'll find it bleak, nihilistic and depressing, but I hope it works for you on that level :p.

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a TERRIFIC idea! If you get rid of Vulcan from the start and begin with Kirk on the starbase you can use that scene how you sketched it in the youtube video you shared.

The way you could do it would have been to drop the music from Vulcan and use Nimoy's narration from the scene in Kirk's quarters and cut back some of the dialogue, including McCoy's line and just keep the stuff of Spock looking up, or possibly a little piece of the ceremony. You may need a little bit of music over the top, but I'd get rid of all the Vulcan soundtrack and rebuild an audio track to go with Nimoy's narration.

Doing it this way would shorten the movie and increase the pace further, which I think was one of your goals.

You've got some terrific ideas, my friend. It's a shame you didn't go a little further with that one. It would have really livened up those latter talky scenes by showing us Vulcan. I'm a tad disappointed you didn't complete that scene the way you had it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Toonloon said:
use that scene how you sketched it in the youtube video you shared... I'm a tad disappointed you didn't complete that scene the way you had it.

It isn't my clip (Somebody called Season26B).

That flashback idea would have shortened the film, but shortening the film was not my primary goal. I just wanted to make it more exciting, dramatic and fast paced (Mostly that was the same thing though :-D). I thought it more important to establish Spock's arc and establish the psychic force of V'Ger early on, rather than just getting on with the story 90 seconds faster. I still cut out half of the Kolinahr, to get in and out as quick as possible.

By the way, (If you haven't already) check out BionicBob's superb 'The V'Ger Incident' edit, he made TMP into a brisk 84 minute TOS/PhaseII style extended-TV-Pilot-Movie-Thing with TOS music and a title sequence and stuff. He also did groovy titlecards like this...

16132758907_dccac5ab9b_o.png

...and did the Kolinahr flashback idea really well.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review [MENTION=8919]LastSurvivor[/MENTION]...

Star Trek The Motion Picture has always been my favourite Trek movie... now I can have a streamlined version which holds onto everything the original version had going for it, but in just over 100 minutes.

As I've said before, I didn't rate TMP at all but I also didn't want this edit to be a turn-off for people who did like the original. Like I say in the IFDB listing... "Still the same cerebral journey but at Warp-Speed instead of just Impulse-Power". So I'm very happy that somebody who rates the original so highly, would still enjoy this edit :).

knowing the film particularly well does mean that I was aware of fan-made audio transitions during such musically powered scenes as the cut down introduction to the Enterprise, but they were never detrimental to the viewing experience. Indeed, when you consider just how important a character Jerry Goldsmith’s stunning score really is, it’s to the editor’s credit that they managed to re-edit these scenes so successfully.

I think I know the bit you mean. I spent longer on that music edit, than I did on whole scenes in the rest of the edit :-D. So hard to get that wonderful piece of music cut down without the joins showing.

One of the main highlights for me was the work executed on Vulcan right at the beginning of the film. This is honestly the best the scene has ever looked, and is far better than the added effects in the director’s cut.

Great! It might not be to everyone's taste but I think the redone shots keep the spirit of matte-painting VisFX from that era of filmmaking. I know they tried real hard on the Director's Edition to match it up but it still looks CGI to me.

Any self respecting Star Trek fan needs to see this. It’s as simple as that

Wow thanks, that's a nice thing to say.

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've just remembered, there are several music tracks by Goldsmith that didn't make it into the movie. If you ever choose to revisit or revise you edit, maybe there's something there you may wish to use.

And another thing I forgot to mention, when you were mulling over using the Kirk outside the Enterprise and the unfinished Enterprise hull, perhaps you could just crop that out and zoom in so you just see the set that was built? I think your edit works better without it, but there are little work arounds. For example, when Kirk beams in, the music cue is a head of the effect. I've been editing The Thing for years now, trying to make other music fit and not until I was deep into it that it suddenly dawned on me that I could make the movie fit the new music by re-editing or trimming scenes. If you took a second or two out of the beam in then it would fit the music cue. Just food for thought.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Toonloon said:
there are several music tracks by Goldsmith that didn't make it into the movie... maybe there's something there you may wish to use

I considered them but I liked the originals and didn't find anywhere that needed those pieces IMO.

Toonloon said:
when you were mulling over using the Kirk outside the Enterprise and the unfinished Enterprise hull, perhaps you could just crop that out and zoom in so you just see the set that was built? I think your edit works better without it, but there are little work arounds.

Finishing the FX wasn't really a big issue, no need for cropping. Kirk having a totally different costume in that shot was the main problem.

Toonloon said:
I've been editing 'The Thing' for years now, trying to make other music fit and not until I was deep into it that it suddenly dawned on me that I could make the movie fit the new music by re-editing or trimming scenes. If you took a second or two out of the beam in then it would fit the music cue. Just food for thought.

I spent a long time getting the timing right and did cut a big chunk of Kirk's beam in to match the music. But that's not the real factor in the timing. The final epic beat of music needs to pretty much finish before Scotty speaks (Which he does the instant Kirk moves off the transporter pad), otherwise he gets drowned out. If you play that beat over the first full shot of Kirk the music needs to be so low in the mix to almost be non existant.

btw, what have you rescored 'The Thing' with?

gnlae.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review [MENTION=6320]Wraith[/MENTION]...

I still recall goosebumps at... the cheers at the Empire Leicester Sq when the music started and the caption STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE appeared....and this edit had a near similar effect. Perfection.

Nice! Thanks very much and happy you enjoyed it. The Empire is a lovely cinema by the way.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
.....except they chopped the cinema in half to squeeze in an IMAX...in the circle.plus a new screen. Will visit at some point.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
congrats, takerofu2mycinema!

sounds like a fun edit. work has been kicking my gundengi, so i haven't seen this yet, but it's on my list. cheers!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
congrats, takerofu2mycinema!

Thanks and it's nice to have the edit on the front-page right now, given the tragic news from last week. TMP really is Spock's film, as he's at the core of much of the emotional drama, so I'm glad I've got a version I can now enjoy when I want to remember Mr Nimoy :). Hope you enjoy it too ssj.

btw, just seen this and it's way cool...

_81345639_aa80a3e5-e982-4bad-a68e-3ca7097ecc04.jpg

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
awesome. need to see more of that kind of currency outside the commonwealth.

bootdsc

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can someone give me a hint as to where i would find the dlc for this awesome work?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bootdsc said:
Can someone give me a hint as to where i would find the dlc for this awesome work?

Please read the site rules and info at the top of the page...

If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

...then if you are still not sure, PM me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review BCSWowbagger. Great to here the reactions from what sounds like a Star Trek superfan :)...

I gave a few points off in the audio department, because a number of the sfx the editor added were wrong -- really, really wrong. Why is an Enterprise-D beep sequence playing on the bridge? Why is the computer console in Engineering making the beepboops from Voyager?...

...I found it profoundly jarring...

...it is almost impossible to get this stuff right...

...you should know that most of the sound effects the editor used were downloaded from TrekCore... which obtained most of their sound library from me in the first place, which is why I know them very, very well.

This did make me giggle, especially the "profoundly jarring" bit :-D. Sorry if I caused your ears discomfort. I can imagine when you know the sounds so well, it must have been a little off putting :-(. Thanks so much for the work on that audio archive on Trek-Core, it's a fantastic thing. This edit wouldn't have been possible without it.

But I never intended to get the soundFX "right" (As in canonical). I mentioned in the IFDB listing...

I've used SoundFX from all eras of the franchise but mostly TOS.

I used whatever sounds felt right to me, by design. TMP doesn't feel like the dramatic TOS and it doesn't feel quite like the rest of the action-packed movies, it probably has more in common with certain elements of TNG and Voyager (That disconnect was part of the film's problem for me). So I wanted a mix of FX that didn't just reflect one era. Plus there are some soundFX from TNG that I just love to bits.

Oh and you forgot to mention that I'd used Romulan computer sounds for the Klingons! :oops:... is nothing sacred!

An absolutely delightful edit... I watched the original once more simply to make sure I knew what I was losing, and I don't think I will ever watch it again. This is a superior product, for all the many reasons others have enumerated.

The important thing about this fanedit is how it streamlines and reshapes the narrative of Star Trek TMP, while staying true to its feel and intent. If you own a copy of TMP, watch this.

That's great to hear, especially the bit about "staying true to its feel and intent". As somebody who never cared for TMP, it's always reassuring to hear this edit still works for those who didn't mind it.

Thanks again for the detailed review :).

By the way... I see you are new to FE.org. So in that case may I reccomend checking out the other 25 Star Trek edits that on IFDB. BionicBob's 'Wrath of the Augments' is great fun and I don't even like 'Enterprise'.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review agent9...

This is a great edit and completely replaces my blu-ray of this film, I loved it!
I will never watch the original cut again...

That's the highest praise you can give a FanFix. Thanks!

Only negative I have is - sometimes the added music is a little louder than the vocals.

Any particular area that stood out?

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally got around to actually watching this edit - even though I was following it's development very closely, when it was actually released I didn't get around to watching it (that happens a lot - more often than not, the development process interests me more than actually watching the final edits). However, all the work that TM2YC has been showing of his Star Trek V edit revived my interest in finally watching this edit... and I'm glad that I have!

This is an excellent edit, there's no denying that - so much work has gone into it, especially with the colour correction and re-arranging of shots and timing and audio. I'm also glad that a lot of the originally over-long sequences like the Enterprise drydock reveal and the journey through the V'ger cloud, while shortened, are still allowed to play out at a fair length. ST:TMP is at it's best, IMO, when the dialogue is at minimum and the effects, musical score and sense of spectacle are at maximum, and this edit generally finds a very good balance of these aspects.

The only major niggle I had with the finished edit, strangely enough, was one that I remember thinking TM2YC really did a good job with when he was showing it in WIP - the new title sequence with the credits playing over interior shots of the V'ger cloud. The shots themselves look wonderful, its the main theme that plays over them that makes the sequence feel 'off' to me. It could be because I am very aware of the original, but the shots of the V'ger cloud make me think 'mysterious' and 'alien', but the music makes me think 'Triumphant' and 'Next Generation' :p

Apart from that though (and it's very much a personal taste issue), this is a very well done edit both narratively and technically and I would recommend it to both fans and non-fans of ST:TMP.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the postive review coinilius.

coinilius said:
The only major niggle I had with the finished edit, strangely enough, was one that I remember thinking TM2YC really did a good job with when he was showing it in WIP - the new title sequence with the credits playing over interior shots of the V'ger cloud. The shots themselves look wonderful, its the main theme that plays over them that makes the sequence feel 'off' to me. It could be because I am very aware of the original, but the shots of the V'ger cloud make me think 'mysterious' and 'alien', but the music makes me think 'Triumphant' and 'Next Generation' :p

I never thought about it like that. It was just "Lets jazz up the boring titles and bring the cloud into focus a little". I never thought about wether the exciting tone of the music, would clash with the V'ger imagery. Something to consider for future projects.

Please add your review to IFDB, if you get the time. Thanks again :).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review [MENTION=36182]testingfazed[/MENTION]...

testingfazed said:
I'm torn with reviewing this edit because I really don't want to be negative about something that obviously took lots of hard work and time.

Not a problem :). Honest negative reviews are better than dishonest positive reviews IMO.

testingfazed said:
this is the best "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" has ever looked. It even surpasses the bluray release.

Good to hear. I even surprised myself with how nice this movie could look when all the drab browny/grey hue was stripped away. I wonder what the colours looked like in 70mm back in the day? On the downside, after making this edit, I've become much more critical of the transfers of all the other original-crew movies (They aren't as bad as TMP though). They really need restoring!

testingfazed said:
There are some issues with the added sound effects and score being slightly louder than the original but it's not a dealbreaker.

The soundFX were supposed to be a bit louder, as they are pretty loud in TOS and TNG and way too quiet in the original mix of this movie (They were barely audible to my ears). The music wasn't supposed to be louder though, oops :D. Any particular sequence?

testingfazed said:
My problems with the edit are the same as with the initial release, it's tedious and not very interesting. It's like watching "2001: A Space Odyssey" but with Star Trek characters.

I totally agree on the tedious "poor-man's 2001" opinion of the original movie. But for me, I think it now zips along at enough of a pace to not be so boring. Maybe the movie is unfixable for you, but if not, maybe check out BionicBob's edit, it's a much more TOS-episode-style action-focused cut with over an hour trimmed.

testingfazed

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for not eviscerating me, lol. Like I said, I really thought the presentation was impressive and was well edited. My issues with the movie are completely the fault of the original. I will probably check out BionicBob's edit. Thanks for the recommendation. The sound issues I referenced I am not completely sure of the times and they were only minor issues. I really want to check out more of your work too, I thought on a technical basis it was one of the better edits I have seen.

Top Bottom