• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek: Reunion by TM2YC - Fanedit of 'The Motion Picture'

Here is the same preview-clip with the correct audio...

(Password: fanedit.org)

Colors are vibrant, really good regrading work.

The transition at 0:20 is a real whiplash from threatening V'ger cloud noise to triumphal Trek intro theme. Could it be smoother? Maybe with a couple seconds of soundtrack from another part of the movie as a bridge... like 40:30 to 40:40 in this.

Brumous said:
The transition at 0:20 is a real whiplash from threatening V'ger cloud noise to triumphal Trek intro theme. Could it be smoother?

Oh really? :( I thought that bit was a note-perfect invisible audio transition, with the final note of the V'Ger piece playing and echoing right into the first note of the Trek theme. It still sounds perfect to my ear no matter how many times I play it. Am I crazy? :lol:

Additional note...

The Motion-Picture theme is a "real whiplash" piece of music, regardless of what I put in front of it. For example here is that transition with the Trek theme unedited by me (e.g. this what it sounds like in the original film)...

(Password: fanedit.org)

^ That music is all in the clip I posted, I just added the V'ger theme on top.

I thought it sounded pretty good. Though it sounds a little like the preceding sound just cuts off when the theme kicks in, maybe it could extend a bit further and let the echo from the sound bleed INTO the theme a little tiny bit, like until :21 (one second/the first DUUUNNNN in the theme). Unless you're doing that anyway, then ignore me. I don't think the timing needs any adjustment at all and as is, it's pretty near perfect.

(talking about the fixed sound video, not the "original music" video btw)

TM2YC said:
Am I crazy? :lol:

Nope, no one's crazy. There's just different perceptions and opinions. And friendly suggestions offered on a take it or leave it basis.

Thanks for posting the original clip...I do think the transition is smoother and better there. I think I get what you're aiming for in your edited version- two powerful forces on a collision course, threat and counterthreat. It makes more sense on the 5th viewing than the 1st viewing.

For the past few days I've been re-working through the colour-grading shot-by-shot with my test render as refrence and on close inspection some of it is nowhere near good enough :p. I'm sure the colours are more consistent than the original source but when the saturation is as high as I've got it, the slightest imperfection stands out.

I wanted this to be finished this year but maybe it's not going to be, or perhaps I need a break from it to work on other things.

TM2YC said:
...or perhaps I need a break from it to work on other things.
Like Star Wars: The Lost Cut maybe ;)

This is a great project, but the other is my most anticipated edit of all, except maybe Adywan's, and then only maybe.

darth_ender said:
Like Star Wars: The Lost Cut maybe ;)

This is a great project, but the other is my most anticipated edit of all, except maybe Adywan's, and then only maybe.

I'll credit you as "Lost Cut Hype-Man" in the Fanedit credits :-D. I probably won't be touching that edit until 'Reunion' is done though, as together with all their multiple source files they are taking up a quarter of my Hardrive. But all the FX tweaking skills I've learned on this project* will be going into SW.

(* and I've learned a lot. An FX shot on one of the Enterprise viewscreens took me a whole day to do months ago and looked a bit average. When I redid it the other day, it took 15 minutes and looked perfect :lol:)

After a weekend messing around with some other fun projects for a break. I've spent all this evening back re-re-colour-grading this. I'm made a lot of progress and am up to 1hour16mins, so it's looking up!

On an unrelated Star Trek note, the ST09/STID iMAX ultimate Blu-Ray boxset thing is arriving for Xmas. Oh yeah! So maybe STID will be on my edit list next year :).

15815128275_c95660afa9.jpg

^ "SLOTH LOVE STAR TREK!" ;-)

While this site was stuck in the Delta-Quadrant, I've spent the extra time wisely working away on this edit. So much so that it's now in a "Finished" state.

It's ready to release now and I'd be very happy with it but I plan to spend the weekend taking it a little further by searching out any points where additional SoundFX could be added and trying out adding music to some of the music-free scenes.

Long story short. Barring calamity, this will be released by next weekend :)

I'm glad to say that the final audio work is complete on schedule. It was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Adding all those hundreds of missing beeps, boops, tricorders, hyposprays, intercoms and even a few computer voices :). Plus I made a few extra FX tweaks and one major change to towards the end to improve continuity.

Rendering overnight and hopefully I'll have the finished product by the morning (Fingers crossed I haven't missed anything). Here is the final timeline...

(^ Click to enlarge) I had to minimise all the streams to fit them on the monitor ;-). I may not survive writing the cutlist with my sanity intact.

asterixsmeagol said:
Just in time for the 35th anniversary!

Oh, er, um... Yes! Naturally that was part of my plan :p. 35 years ago exactly, nice.

I'm looking forward to watching this over Christmas, if it gets released as planned :)

TM2YC said:
I may not survive writing the cutlist with my sanity intact.

You might collect all your video clip descriptions from this thread. Actually if that's all you did it would be more info than most fanedits give. OTOH you put so much work into this & the world should know all about all of it. OTOH you gotta keep your sanity!

Brumous said:
You might collect all your video clip descriptions from this thread. Actually if that's all you did it would be more info than most fanedits give. OTOH you put so much work into this & the world should know all about all of it. OTOH you gotta keep your sanity!

I'll be listing as many changes as I can remember. But there are hundreds of tiny trims of a few frames, many sequences where shots have been reshuffled entirely and shots shifted from one sequence into another that I've forgotten about :-D.

Ken Poirier said:
Me want now!!!!!!!

Sorry to disappoint everyone but there has been too much "real life" this week to get everything finished off.

The edit is all done (MP4 and DVD) but I'm only 20 minutes into the cutlist (Which is already the size of a small novel :lol:), the artwork isn't quite finished and a trailer I'm working on is far from done. I could rush a release for monday/tuesday but I think next week is more realistic.

I'm very happy with how the animated menus turned out...

Back
Top Bottom