• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek: Reunion by TM2YC - Fanedit of 'The Motion Picture'

Concur the first one looks better, more authentic and sophisticated. I would make an animated version for you if I could.

bionicbob said:
I like the one in the first pic better.

Something about all the red and white circles... looks odd to me. Also noticed there appears to be a slight bleed through Chapel's chin area? Though I do like the classic style bio-display portion. Could you just use that portion and brighten it a bit?

The first one isn't an option as it was just a still mockup.

The video is the TOS display so it looks out of place in TMP, you are right. The slight bleed through is just because this was a quickie test, it won't be too difficult to get it perfect on the final job. I darkened it on purpose as the other scanners just visible in the background are about the same brightness.

I'm gonna "try" animate my own version, then I can match it much better to the other sickbay scanners in the scene.

This was easier than I thought it would be. It just needed a lot of patience to individually animate a load of blue trianges :-D...

(Password: fanedit.org)

^ It's just some lights, so it's not the most exciting 60 seconds ever but for me it's very cool :). Now I need to add it to the various shots which will be the tricky bit as there is at least one non-static shot.

I designed it to mimic this working monitor (That we only get a glimpse at) as closley as I could...

15773109431_df88e9cdf4.jpg

When it's shrunk down I'm hoping it will be a close enough match.

I've tried and tried but I just can't get the animation right on the first 2 camera moves. If it's not right to the pixel it's very distracting to the eye, so the sickbay-monitor is going to have to stay off in this edit :(. I might finish the sequence as best I can and it can be a bonus "This didn't work" feature or something.

If anybody with professional-level motion-tracking skills wants to take a crack at this then let me know.

This has really made appreciate motion-tracking dots!

Onwards and upwards... There are 3 shots where Kirk has rescued Spock that weren't finished. They are floating around in V'Ger's interior in all it's blue-glowing-ness yet they are against a solid black background. This is one such shot...

So I've corrected that by adding a shot of V'Ger to the background and adding reflections of V'Ger and the Enterprise in Spock and Kirk's visors. I think it looks pretty nice. It's not perfect but it adds a little life to 3 otherwise "botched" shots.

It's disappointing about the biobed monitor but I think you made the right call. Better to have no effect than to have a bad effect.

On that score, there's something not right about the helmet reflections in the V'Ger scenes. The reflections wouldn't stay still like that, they would move with the helmet movements sometimes in complicated ways. Get a motorcycle helmet and see how the reflections behave.

Brumous said:
there's something not right about the helmet reflections in the V'Ger scenes. The reflections wouldn't stay still like that, they would move with the helmet movements sometimes in complicated ways. Get a motorcycle helmet and see how the reflections behave.

The reflections do move in the shots I posted but any kind of serious 3D animations past that point is way beyond my skills. To get it to move 100% correctly you'd have to build the helmets in 3D, map the reflected image onto that and then animate/interplate the helmets movements within 3-dimensions and then layer that on top.

Is it distracting? Does it make the shot worse, or a fraction better? Can anybody suggest improvements?

Makes the shots better, in my opinion. I didn't find the reflections too "fake", but good enough.

dangermouse said:
Makes the shots better, in my opinion. I didn't find the reflections too "fake", but good enough.

I've toned down their opacity a bit so they're not so "in your face". Hopefully if you didn't know you wouldn't notice them.

I'm hoping to work through my list of 'fixes needed' this weekend.

I've completely rescored and recut the opening Earth/Transfer-Station shots with some more epic Starfleet music. It's working so much better technically and makes Kirk's entrance feel a bit more special. Also remade the mattes on a number of the FX shots to correct colour inconsistencies. So I think the first 15 minutes are perfect now and will be exactly as-is when the edit is done :). I was tempted to post a clip but I'll save some surprises for the finish.

Can anybody point me in the direction of the computer saying "Bridge" as I was thinking it might enhance the scene where Kirk first uses the Turbolift (It might not but I'd like to try). I couldn't find it on the usual page...

http://www.trekcore.com/audio/

...but maybe I'm just blind ;-).

Brumous said:
There's an 'evacuate bridge' here but I don't know if it's fit to be used.
http://wavs.unclebubby.com/television/star-trek-computer/

That might just work, I'll give it a try, thanks. Another excellent soundfile resource :).

I spent a good while yesterday evening working on this transition (From Kirk and Scotty to the briefing)...

I rebuilt the audio and recut the footage numerous times and was never satisfied. I thought I'd post the clip incase I was being to critical and it actually worked fine. What do y'all think?

^ I scrapped that transition and did it again after all ;-). Much better now.

I've had some fun this morning adding the missing SoundFX bleeps to this little sequence (There were no button SoundFX at all in the original film's version of these shots from Kirk or Scotty's assistant)...

It sounds so much more 'Trek' :). Before I do any more... do the levels sound all right to everybody? Are the bleeps too loud?

I thought the transition clip work well.:)

For the next clip, I would dial down the Bleeps more....they should not be louder than the actor's voices or background hum... it should be more subtle. But wonderful idea. I love TOS sound fx. :thumb:

TM2YC said:
It sounds so much more 'Trek' :).

Aye, lad. :p

What's that last button that Kirk presses? If it is the intercom then he switches it off before he gives the command to Scotty and Scotty can't hear the command. Should the button sound be something else not the intercom? (I don't know what really, I think Shatner was just hitting the arm of his chair to give emphasis to his line.)

Brumous said:
Kirk... switches it off before he gives the command to Scotty and Scotty can't hear the command.

I know, I think it was just The Shat jabbing the intercom button for emphasis and damn if it made any sense switching it off before he'd finished talking!! :p

I've dialled down the volume on the beeps as suggested.

While I continue to work on little fixes, audio-additions and the colours, I thought I'd post a preview of 5 minutes of the edit that I'm 99% sure is 100% finished :p. It's one of the more VisFX, rescoring, re-colouring and re-editing heavy 5 minutes of the edit (This section is roughly half the length of the original film)...

Hope you all enjoy this preview! (I'm hoping to have this edit finished before the new year, fingers crossed).

Maybe its Vimeo, but the audio is out of sync.:oops:

Visually, the clip looks FANTASTIC!!! :thumb:

bionicbob said:
Maybe its Vimeo, but the audio is out of sync.:oops:

Visually, the clip looks FANTASTIC!!! :thumb:

Hmm you are right, that's that tricksy 1% I was talking about :lol:. Right everybody ignore that clip 'til I re-upload it.

Back
Top Bottom